Coeur d' Alene Idaho weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack

Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of moving there from Kansas City and had a couple of questions.

Typically, when can you begin riding and when is the 'season' over?

We have heard a great deal about the winters( snowfall, no sunshine etc.) and wanted get a take from someone on the Forum who may live in or near there.

Any other opinions, suggestions etc., much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack.

Although I've never lived in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho is one of my favorite places to ride and/or take my travel trailer to do some camping and fishing. The road from Boise to Coeur d' Alene (55 to 95) is fantastic to ride. I have lived in Ohio and Colorado. There is no comparison between the two as far as weather. And I would think Idaho is more like Colorado, where you will get snow one day, then the next day the sun suns out, melts the snow on the roads and they dry out. Today it's cold, tomorrow it warms up to at least the 50's. Ohio is fuking cold to the bone and it stays cold nine months out of the year. The snow you get in October is still on the ground in April, it's just dirty from road dirt. When they say planting season is May 15th, they mean it. In Colorado, the coldest month is December. I was able to ride pretty much year round, watching for shaded areas for ice, unless you live on the western Slope where "Pinhead" lives. You probably get 300+ days of sunshine and when the sun is out, at least the road tend to dry out. In the several years I lived in Ohio, there was only once I was able to ride my bike in the winter because we had what they call an Indian Summer, which are few and far between.

The decision to move there from Kansas City is a mute point............ Go!

You'd DEFINITELY be heading to some WAY better riding, at least. Head north to Sandpoint and east on 200 all the way to Missoula. Gorgeous stretch of road. Or keep going north and ride the Selkirk Loop up into Canada--near where we went for last year's CFR. More gorgeous riding. And plenty more. Do the move.

Thanks for the feedback. I was also hoping to hear from someone who lives in the area and get some feel for what to expect.

I live in Wenatchee, which is about 180 miles west, but we play there a lot. We can ride well into October most years if you don't mind wearing some extra clothing. It's usuallly cold but dry, but swow can come any time after halloween, sooner in the mountains. C'da is a great city on a beautiful lake. It has grown west toward Spokane, enough so that it is getting to tell where one ends and the other starts. In the spring, on a good year you can plan on getting out some in mid to late march. Two years ago, mother nature threw all of the rules out the window and at one point there was 6 feet of snow in the entire inland empire, (local term for Spokane and surrounding areas. Summers can be warm, up to and including triple digits, but not usually above the 90's. But humidity stays low, not usually over 30%, so a little more tolerable than a lot of places. Great roads, scenery and recreation. Good luck and hope this helps.

Fred jr.

Post Falls and Rathdrum are the two towns we were looking at to buy a place. Coeur d' Alene seemed pretty 'touristy' and the real estate prices were quite a bit higher than these two when we stopped there for lunch last Sept. on our way to Spokane.

I live in Calgary and ride that area often.

You can expect to be able to ride from late March most years, and depending on your cold tolerance into late October/November, maybe a bit longer. You can get freaky weather anytime after September though, and it isn't unusual to get a dump of snow after Easter, so don't say I didn't warn ya.

Post Falls is a nice place, rode through there last year. Overall, a good area and I think you'll enjoy it. Idaho, Washington, Montana and BC to the north across the border are EXCELLENT places to ride.

Hope this helps!

Griff

My wife and her sister are going out to Coeur d' Alene next week for four days, looking at places to live and generally accessing the area in terms of whether we want to move there or not.