Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona Tracks/Routes Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerray

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm getting ready to take another trip out west with Reaper in a couple of weeks. I'm interested in receiving any Garmin routes or tracks of excellent twisty roads that you have ridden in the past. Please only send routes or tracks where you know that the pavement is excellent. I have some of my own and we have some that we're going to ride site unseen. I'm more interested in the quality of the asphalt as opposed to the scenery (everywhere over there is scenic to me).

Our area of interest is:

All of Colorado

South or East Utah

North or West Arizona (I'd particulary like to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Are there any good roads in that area?)

Anywhere in New Mexico north of I-40

I will accept e-mails with the routes/tracks attached that can be opened in Garmin MapSource ot I could place a call to your location if you send me the phone number.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone!
I'm getting ready to take another trip out west with Reaper in a couple of weeks. I'm interested in receiving any Garmin routes or tracks of excellent twisty roads that you have ridden in the past. Please only send routes or tracks where you know that the pavement is excellent. I have some of my own and we have some that we're going to ride site unseen. I'm more interested in the quality of the asphalt as opposed to the scenery (everywhere over there is scenic to me).

Our area of interest is:

All of Colorado

South or East Utah

North or West Arizona (I'd particulary like to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Are there any good roads in that area?)

I will accept e-mails with the routes/tracks attached that can be opened in Garmin MapSource ot I could place a call to your location if you send me the phone number.

Thanks in advance.
Best set of twisties in the US is between Morrison and Evergreen Colorado on 74. I might be biased. But they keep the tar excellent and the twisties are awesome. Take on from Morrison to Evergreen on a weekday at 10:30 am

Thanks. I'll check that out on the map. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I can't wait until the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone!

Our area of interest is:

All of Colorado

South or East Utah

Thanks in advance.
Colorado - Besides 550, try 145 from Telluride to Cortez. Don't miss Big Thompson Canyon on 34 as well as the RMNP. I'm sure the locals can direct you to some other rides, but those are at the top of my list everytime I ride that state.

Arizona - Hwy 180 from Flagstaff to the Canyon is a good one, but don't forget to hit the north rim if you have a day to burn, long ride, but worth it. Sedona 89A through Oak Creek Canyon is a good one and then over Mingus Mtn. to Prescott is a great ride. Stop in Jerome for a sandwich, great old mining town, but avoid the weekend (too many Hardleys). Hwy 66 west of Williams on the way to Peach Springs is good if you're a nostalgia buff. Heard the pavement isn't in top shape, but haven't been there for awhile so you might want to check ahead on that one. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've rode this area for years and can pass along several good routes, places to eat and stay.

The road conditions are just something you'll have to deal with. The ice and snow during the winter months damage the roadways and they fix them during the summer. Just the way it is. Even the Interstates.

I've got Microsoft Streets so I can send you some routes using it. Let me know what you want to see and do and I'll pass along some routes if you can view them. Send me a PM with an email address if interested.

Also posted some pics to the image and videos forum from last week's Colorado trip if interested. We had a little road construction and rough roads but 99 percent of it was what I'd call good roads.

Either way have a great trip.

The rides on my web page (in my signature block) may be just what you are looking for. Let me know what you think!

Colorado - Besides 550, try 145 from Telluride to Cortez. Don't miss Big Thompson Canyon on 34 as well as the RMNP. I'm sure the locals can direct you to some other rides, but those are at the top of my list everytime I ride that state.
Arizona - Hwy 180 from Flagstaff to the Canyon is a good one, but don't forget to hit the north rim if you have a day to burn, long ride, but worth it. Sedona 89A through Oak Creek Canyon is a good one and then over Mingus Mtn. to Prescott is a great ride. Stop in Jerome for a sandwich, great old mining town, but avoid the weekend (too many Hardleys). Hwy 66 west of Williams on the way to Peach Springs is good if you're a nostalgia buff. Heard the pavement isn't in top shape, but haven't been there for awhile so you might want to check ahead on that one. HTH.
I checked out the roads you mentioned. A good many of them were already in our plan. Thanks!

The rides on my web page (in my signature block) may be just what you are looking for. Let me know what you think!
You are so right! You have a great page there! Thanks for the maps and downloadable routes and waypoints. I've ridden several of the roads you've mentioned and linked to and your description of the routes is quite accurate. Thanks again. I wish more people could take the time to do what you've done.