Commuter King?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ride 12.2 miles each way down the glorious 101 freeway in LA one weekday every week and on the weekends for hospital rounds. I also ride in on the days off for emergencys. Lane splitting is the only way to get around during rush hour. Almost makes me not mind going to work.

For me, motorcycling is alot like sex. I'll take any chance to climb into the saddle!

Averaging 1066 miles per week since she was delivered 6 weeks ago
Wow, that's a bunch! I guess it will be tough to keep that average, but keep us posted. My commute is about 12 miles R/T once every six days, but I do a lot of errands on the days off. After six months, I still jump on and go every chance I get. :)
I'll have to figure out ways to keep the average up there. Let's see; winter and all.

I know! We'll take winter rides for hockey games in San Jose, Anaheim, LA and maybe even Phoenix! :hockey:

Commute is 55 miles each way if I take the quick route via the highway. I normally would take this route going to work since I'm always running late. However, coming home I'd prefer the more scenic route via backroads. The backroad would be about 63 miles. I would commute on the bike only if weather permits. Riding this distance in foul weather after a full day of work isn't fun.

I live in a typically rainy climate, but I ride 5 dys a wk as long as it isn't raining on my way to work (I don't like starting may day out wet/cold). Commute is 25 miles to work and generally 30-50 on the return (unwind time). Currently have about 7000 miles, nearly all commute :erm: but at 48mpg it sure beats the cage!

I have about a 40 mile r/t commute and ride if it's in the positive digits. I've ridden home in the up to about 2 inches of snow on the last mile which is gravel. A lot less of a commute that I had the first year with the FJR, that one was 230 miles r/t, so these days the miles go on a bit slower. It's only at 52000 miles and I still haven't had a single issue with this bike. That speaks volumes for the quality of it considering the abuse it's been through.

Grady A. Dunham

MY commute is only 16 miles R/T but it's been known to take me 4 or more hours to get home.

Now that I have heated clothes I plan on riding here in Co. all winter long if the roads are clear.

Whoo-Hooo!

80 miles round trip 5 days a week. Don't get much pleasure cruising, just my commute to work. Will ride in temps from 32 - 100 degrees rain or shine.

OK, I win...5 miles RT X 5 days/week...No wait that is on the Bandit :haha:

I only use the FJR about 2 or 3 times a month for work commute. It is my overnite bike. I live in an area that is 100 miles from anyplace. This year was 13,000 miles on the FJR and 8,000 on the bandit.

FJR Bandit

Commuter king might be rdfrantz, maybe he'll see this and check in. He might be busy as the un-ralleymaster for a ride coming up in Utah this coming weekend as mentioned here Torrey rally. If you are craving a nice ride, check it out. FJRs are invited to show their stuff and I can attest the roads are terrific!

Regarding his commuting, back in July, he mentioned he's used up 4 Avon Azarros on his '05 FJR so far (avg 8500 miles each on those tires) and IIRC, he mixes commute time on his Bimmers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the commuter queen isn't me: I have only a 10 mile each way ride to work. Commuting on the FJR is better than in the truck because of the HOV lane. :D Plus, it's more fun. But that goes without saying.

105 r/t rain or shine, ice once a little scary. 80% lane splitting here in so cal.

19 has been the coldest :bigeyes: 1 st. degree burn on inside thighs the hottest. :dribble:

21000 on a 05 since 11/03/04

two bent front wheels

two flats

one seperated front tire.

looking for a rideshare partner LOL. :lol:

65 mi r/t from The O.C. to LAX for me. Do it on the lovely 405fwy, at least we can split lanes and use H.O. lane in Cal. Work a 8 days on/6 days off schedule, rotating shifts, so half my ride is always in the dark.

Wimp here. Logged about 7000miles in one year. I get more days where it is too hot than I do too cold or too wet. Central Texas. Commute is about 25 miles R/T. I only commute 7 days in 14. And that gets split between the FJR, the Jeep and my old truck. More FJR now that gas is ridiculous. I hope to ride more when the cooler weather arrives. But, we've had no sign of that yet. It's still humid an in the upper 90s :-(

Not the longest commute so far but I commute about 116 miles (58 each way) 4 days a week. All secondary roads with little traffic except for the last 3 miles just before I get to the office. I have several alternate routes that I use mostly for the ride back home because they add miles and take longer. Even with the light traffic and secondary roads I find it much more dangerous commuting that taking a ride on Sunday morning. People just seem to pay even less attention to their driving during their commute.

Hi All,

I commute 128 miles round trip over some of the ugliest roads you can imagine.

30 miles on secondary roads then lane split on 580 which is one of the worst clogged in the SF bay area. I only do this 3 days a week the rest of the time I work from home. Lunch in Markleville anyone :D

Dave

Disco Bay B)