Compared to other bikes you have owned what do you like most and the least about the fjr.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
Most: quiet, good horsepower and torque, adjustable windshield, easy to turn, easy to stop, quick, very easy to change the oil and check your oil, centerstand (lot of winter time to sit on it, also makes it easy to clean your rim, check your tire, etc.), Seats come off easy(not that I take them off a lot), tires are much less expensive than big cruiser tires, gas cap ( I like the aircraft style that you don't have to take off and sit it on the pump), shaft drive (easy just change the oil), preload on forks and back

suspension, liquid cooled, tach, fuel gauge (cant believe some bikes don't have them), 6.6 gallon tank, might chime in with a few more later.

Least: quiet, bike is so stable that at 75-80 feels like 30 and is going to get me in trouble from speeding. On other bikes it would sound and feel like you were going faster and did not find myself hauling ass as much. Turns too easy (speeding), Back seat not as comfortable as big cruisers but a Russell day will probable cure this but it is expensive, not a huge fan of all the plastic but I don't want this bike to weigh anymore either. On the metric cruisers I've had changing the oil was not as easy and straight forward 2-3 plugs and checking the oil on a c109 is a pia, love the sight window on the fjr. Anyway every bike has its strong and weak points. What are your likes and dislikes?

Since I just finished changing the oil in my Honda ST1300 and it is a royal pain in the @$$ I would have to put the ease of oil changes very high on the list. Truly the engine is the star of the show, the torque curve must have been designed with my riding style in mind. The looks are a big positive for me.

What I like least? The fact that I have to go steal Dad's if I want to ride one.
smile.png

You are simply taking your dads bike out to change the oil for him. It is a painfully long process. You may have to keep the bike for a week. :)

Like: Power, relatively low CG, real metal gas tank, relatively low weight and short wheelbase (compared to other ST bikes), adjustable screen, good ergos and not hard to work on.

Dislike: goofy battery location, stock suspension didn't work for me (and spendy to change that), stock seat was not too good.

In its current state, a really excellent bike that handles like a scalpel for its size, but it took significant farkling $ to bring forth the promise offered by the engine and chassis. At the end of the day it was worth it.

Like: Power, relatively low CG, real metal gas tank, relatively low weight and short wheelbase (compared to other ST bikes), adjustable screen, good ergos and not hard to work on.
Dislike: goofy battery location, stock suspension didn't work for me (and spendy to change that), stock seat was not too good.

In its current state, a really excellent bike that handles like a scalpel for its size, but it took significant farkling $ to bring forth the promise offered by the engine and chassis. At the end of the day it was worth it.
+1.....and it's an exceptional blend of comfort, performance, and reliability at a very reasonable cost.

It is very balanced, fast and fairly nimble for a 625+ lb bike. Super comfortable ergos, especially for 2up riding. It handles very well 2up. Lots of room, adjustable windscreen, digital instrument panel with helpful info.

One of my most favorite things about this bike is the vast amount of knowledge compounded on the internet specifically for the FJR(This site being, top of the list and FJR Tech!). It makes doing my own wrenching possible for me(at least most things).

And it's a damn sexy bike!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are ya ready for this? Better fasten yer seat belts. The one thing that stands out about my FJR... the thing my very excellent 91 GSXR 1100G Zookie didn't have:

The FJR forum.

Likes : Build quality,engine smoothness,brakes,comfort including 2 up,sports and touring aspect.

Dislikes: Not quite enough ground clearance,screen buffeting,engine noise on LHS (gears apparently) annoying.not much else

Gazza

Like: engine sound, smoothness, power, ease of maintenance, color '08 Raven Black, saddle bags on/off system, reliability, just about everything.

Dislike: I wish it had a sportier riding position, specially lower bars, which can't be fixed, those that find the bars too low can raise them. The OEM seat was totally unacceptable to me, I got a Corbin with a Smuggler. The '08 had no cruise control but I fixed this with a MC Cruise Control.

Like: Power, handling, ease of routine maintenance, Black Cherry color of my '07, carrying capacity, adjustable windscreen, availability of cool aftermarket goodies

Love: this forum and the people who make it so much fun

Dislike: stock seat, battery location, stock seat, sight glass to check oil, stock seat

I like it, but...I have a 29" inseam and don't like the width (front part) of the seat. You short guys out there know how much fun it is to tippy-toe in a gravel parking lot.

Like: The shear smoothness of the ride (once I got the correct add-ons installed) and the power and agility the FJR offers.

Dislike: This bike in not maintenance friendly in any sense of the word...(one shouldn't have to tear a bike apart to replace the air filter, etc.) and it's a tire eater. Mentioning the need for add-ons, too many were needed to dial in the bike... front and rear suspension upgrade, lowering links, new windshield, bar weights and extenders, seat, radiator protector (the stock protector offered no real protection, so I sustained rock damage) and Brodie harness (yes, I was bit).

As my bike sits now...I love riding it. I've owned several bikes through my 38 years of riding, and this one has been the most enjoyable.
smile.png

LIKE: Bass Bote Blue. The enormous quantity of aftermarket stuff available. Faster than the other gens
wink.png
Torque. Really nice handling w/ suspension upgrades. A used FJR can be a GREAT bike for a small investment.

DISLIKE: The battery is where again? Factory topbox too close to pillion. Pillion a bit cramped, even with custom seat (wifey is 5-10)

This is a very good topic.

Compared to other bikes I've owned.

• Definitely, the looks, the FJR, all gens, is still a sharp looking bike.
  • Comfort, with very little tweaking, this bike easily provides all day comfort.
  • The Power, smooth power.
  • Handling, for the pig that she is, she's pretty nimble.
  • In contrast to other bikes, I think it's actually pretty maintenance friendly. Oil changes are super simple, even raising the tank to do plugs or TBS is pretty easy especially once you remove the PAIR bullshit.

Dislikes

• +1 Battery location is less than desirable.
  • Inline-4 vibes, at 4k. It's something you can mitigate somewhat, but it can be buzzy
  • Removing some plastic, especially around the dash can be a bitch.
  • Lack of 'stash' space for farkles around the nose, it's tight up there.
  • Having an 06, yeah, I've been bit by all the spider/electrical woes. I have spent more time fixing shit that shouldn't have to be fixed.
  • being inseam challenged, I wish it was an inch lower. But not enough that I'd actually lower it and wreck the handling or other aspects.

I will probably buy another, 2015/2016 when I'm done with this one. I bought this one new, but will probably buy a gently used 14/15 in 2016.

LIKE: The 3 things my Connie didn't have...FI, movable screen, and 17" wheels.

LOVE: The engine (and the s--- eating grin) I get riding it everyday!
punk.gif

DISLIKE: Nothin' .... but the rear seat dislikes my wife.

I think my likes and dislikes have all been listed.

Has anyone mentioned how it will still run great on cheap low octane gas that you find in the middle of nowhere?