Concours 14 VS FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ the Toronto show the bike was up on a pedestal, yet the Kawasaki representatives were letting any one who wanted to sit on it do so....just ask huron52....he did :eek: ....
Uh oh. Don't tell me we're losing Tom to Kawasaki. B)
I don't think so Geezer....he didn't seem over impressed but you'd have to ask him :lol: ....

Ok I give

I sat on it

First impressions No order

1. speedo was broken... It read 30kph and it was sitting still .... ( - )

2. It was propped up so I could not tell the "feel" weight.

3. The single muffler looks unbalanced 14 has two and looks good. ( - )

4. hard bags look to have the same type of attachment / latching system ( + )

5. Could not see my shoulders in the mirrors ( + ) They folded but not in very far.

6. Windshield looked small compared to the body work. ( - ) I am assuming it was in the down position

7. has a cigar lighter... what's with that? ( - ) powerlet would be nicer

8. Glove box was broken ( - ) They are trying to sell this bike and things are broken?

9. For looks I like the ZX14 better. I sat on the ZX14 and could feel the weight of it nicer machine than the connie. Doesn't matter if it is quicker...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get the MPG cpncerns on any MC. It is a vehicle driven for fun, so who cares?!?
Last time I checked the money spent for "fun" took the same number of hours to earn as money spent for other things. By your rationale, when I'm at the grocery, I should pay a lot of attention to the price of bread, but not care a whit about the price of ice cream since it's a "fun" food.

Money is money.

- Mark

I do like the idea of, what seems to be another good "SPORT-TOUR", come on the market. I think that we all benefit from the competition :) .

There are a couple of things on the concord 14 that I am not sure that I really like though:

(1)The area where the fuel tank normally is (is plastic). My magnetic tank bag won't work and I really like my tank bag.

(2)I think that the single sided exhaust makes the bike look unbalanced. Just a personal thing.

As for the power, I think that there are very few that can and do use all of the 125hp on the FJR. I think that the only thing the extra HP on the concord will add is " Higher insurance rates" :eek: .

I just don't get the MPG cpncerns on any MC. It is a vehicle driven for fun, so who cares?!?
Last time I checked the money spent for "fun" took the same number of hours to earn as money spent for other things. By your rationale, when I'm at the grocery, I should pay a lot of attention to the price of bread, but not care a whit about the price of ice cream since it's a "fun" food.

Money is money.

- Mark

I could care less too...unless something is wrong with the engine...or calculating your distance. Ugh I'd hate livin' with you if i couldn't get ice cream cause of the price tag. ;)

("I could care less?" Hmmm that doesn't seem correct. If I could care less...then I care a little right? So I suppose it's "I could NOT care less". Man have I been saying it wrong all of this time?)

What is the real diff between 36 and 42 MPG, anyway??
it's the difference between 7 gas stops and 5 gas stops on a BBG. at an average of 15 minutes each (when was the last time you stopped for gas, water, and a pee in that time or less?), that's 30 minutes you've saved in by doing nothing more than picking the bike with a little better MPG. For those who take longer at each stop, then the time savings will be even greater.

Well as everyone should know, mpg's very to every riding situation. One day maybe 44mpg, then the same afternoon 32 mpg. So given a constant, 6 mpg could over the course of an event make a difference. But in the real world of riding it just doesn't matter. Ask Scooter what his mpg's were in the WPF. I will bet they weren't even close to 42 mpg.

Me. I want it all. Hell yeah, mileage is important to me, and that was even before Iron Butt stuff where it is even more important. I like the flexibility and satisfaction of being able to ride 300 miles between tanks, which is not possible on the FJR without a fuel cell. I live in Arizona, where gas stations can be further apart than normal. And I rode 45,000 miles last year with the FJR as my primary transportation, so every little cent helps to a certain degree.

Now, consider the IBA stuff which I have found a passion for, and as Bounce stated, time killing gas stops are your enemy. Without a fuel cell, I was filling up at 160 miles in the wee hours of the morning in New Mexico when I wasn't sure where the next open gas station would be. That sucked. With a fuel cell, I am going at least 300 miles. Unless.............

White Pine Fever. I planned my route with 300 mile gas stops, thinking I was being conservative. Well, at the speeds I was running, I almost ran out of fuel my first three legs due to such crappy fuel mileage. (Low 20s or so - put in 11.4 gallons on my first gas stop. That is with a 11.5 total capacity. :eek: ) I actually had to slow down 20-40mph from how fast I wanted to be going for the last 30-40 miles of those first legs to make sure I made it to the next stop without running out of fuel, and actually made a pre-mature gas stop for a gallon of fuel or so on the 2nd leg, just to make sure I would make it to the planned station. So, theorhetically, with an expanded fuel cell, I could have even done a few more miles. :blink:

Whatever. I can be a bit anal retentive sometimes, but I want low 40s to low 50s miles per gallon for the *typical* riding I do. Something I don't regulary get.

Like I said, I want it all.

I saw the display at the Toronto Motorcycle Show last weekend, it was intersting to see after some of the speculation in recent months.

However, I can't get that excited and be prepared to dump my FJR for a bike;

- so far exists as a prototype.

- will not even be available until late in the 2007 season (here, anyway).

- that I have not even had an opportunity to ride or even hear run.

As for the power, I think that there are very few that can and do use all of the 125hp on the FJR. I think that the only thing the extra HP on the concord will add is " Higher insurance rates" :eek: .
I partially agree... difficult to safely use that much HORSEPOWER. I think the big advantage on this bike will be the ridiculous low end TORQUE due to VVT. I really like a wide powerband, and this motor should offer a very wide, very impressive powerband.

I partially agree... difficult to safely use that much HORSEPOWER. I think the big advantage on this bike will be the ridiculous low end TORQUE due to VVT. I really like a wide powerband, and this motor should offer a very wide, very impressive powerband.
So does the FJR.

I gues I have no right to bring this up given how few miles I clock but...

I just don't get the MPG concerns on any MC. It is a vehicle driven for fun, so who cares?!? And those that commute, if it is the highest MPG you are seeking, get a scooter. What is the real diff between 36 and 42 MPG, anyway??

-BD

Too funny, BD! :yahoo: I have a friend who would drive 20 miles to save 1 cent per gallon. Erm, 5 gallon tank...burn 1/2-3/4 gallon to save $.04...ooookkkaaaayyyy! :unsure: We're all just wired a little differently. :dribble:
I just did a quick calculation on the cost of a 5,000 mile trip for 2 bikes, one making 36 mpg and the other making 46 mpg. At 3.00 per gallon the savings is 90 bucks. That seems a number worth considering in making a buying decision. At least to me. My FJR makes mid to upper 40's on long trips. I'm not so sure I'd give that economy up very easily. In fact, the Feejer makes better mileage even than both my old Connies did.

Kawisaki sucks. PM. <>< :crazy:
:blink:

Overwhelming objectivity... Care to share why you feel this way? Sarcasm aside, i really am curious why you hold this opinion, since i am considering buying a C14.
Jeez PM thats kinda harsh bein' this close to christmas :)

Kawi was king of the road for years an If they are gonna build sumpin as good as the feejer, well.... I may have to add on to the stable ;)

Kawisaki sucks. PM. <>< :crazy:
:blink:

Overwhelming objectivity... Care to share why you feel this way? Sarcasm aside, i really am curious why you hold this opinion, since i am considering buying a C14.
Jeez PM thats kinda harsh bein' this close to christmas :)

Kawi was king of the road for years an If they are gonna build sumpin as good as the feejer, well.... I may have to add on to the stable ;)
BJ, just yankin chain. Did you notice the crazy FJR dude at the end? After viewing the new Kawi at the IMS show I worked at and attended in San Mateo, I could be found off and on throughout the weekend drooling over the new Connie 14. That would be a fine addition to your stable I'm sure. Years past I noticed Kawi's were a little sub-quality in construction compared to the other bikes I rode, but I think they have begun to overcome this IMO. Also, I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the board. Cheers, PM. <>< :dribble:

Yeah I knew you was yankin' there P.M. No foul called.

Have to agree regarding quality of recent bikes though I think venture with Suzuki opened their eyes.

:jester: