Concours 14 VS FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have they solved their problems with the de-plating cams?
Good question. As I understand it, cam lobe pitting was taking place across the board on their bikes. What's the buzz on the Kawi boards? However, if they're fixing them under waranty.....

Isn't anyone even a little bit leery of buying a 1st model of anything. I think with few exceptions most troubles are 1st year, whether it be cars or bikes. At least that's what happened to me 3 times.
yes I do believe you're right they even made improvements from the original fjr's

Isn't anyone even a little bit leery of buying a 1st model of anything. I think with few exceptions most troubles are 1st year, whether it be cars or bikes. At least that's what happened to me 3 times.
yes I do believe you're right they even made improvements from the original fjr's
Ummm.... yep. definitely a little worried about it. not so much about the chassis and stuff cuz it looks like a lot of rip offs from the zx14, but I think the thing that worries me the most is the VVT. Never done on a bike before, and valvetrain dynamics are NASTY at high RPM. Scares me more than a little bit.

The other thing that worries me is the 'early release.' It could either be traslated 'rush to do a crappy job and get some sales,' or 'was an 07, but we screwed it up,' or 'was an '07 and we are taking the time to do it right.' Just dont know, but seems like somethings a little weird with this release stuff.

The "blabber" could be mo more than sales-speak for, "Holey-Moley! We didn't realize there'd be so much demand for this bike".

Kind of like Yamaha thinking they wouldn't sell many FJRs. :dribble: :blink: :unsure: Now the engineering and production departments have to come up to speed. AND, nobody has ridden a pre-production model yet.

I think that Kawasaki will be pretty careful testing most things on the new concord. I think that they truly want this new bike to be right and took measures to see that it is. The market they are shooting for is pretty picky :eek: .

I also think that there will be your usual first year problems but I think they will be minor rather they major. “Boy” a lot of thinking going on here :dribble: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm.... yep. definitely a little worried about it. not so much about the chassis and stuff cuz it looks like a lot of rip offs from the zx14, but I think the thing that worries me the most is the VVT. Never done on a bike before, and valvetrain dynamics are NASTY at high RPM. Scares me more than a little bit.
The other thing that worries me is the 'early release.' It could either be traslated 'rush to do a crappy job and get some sales,' or 'was an 07, but we screwed it up,' or 'was an '07 and we are taking the time to do it right.' Just dont know, but seems like somethings a little weird with this release stuff.
This motor is proving its salt over and over. I would not sweat the addition of the VVT. It is a fairly simple implementation and has been used in car motors for the last many years. Besides, if it fails, the motor will still run fine.

I think this will be a very refined and quality bike based on the photos so far.

-BD

Well, spent a good deal of time looking this bike over at the show. Looks very nice, but I think there will be some changes to the rear end look for the final version. It looked like they changed the rear grab bars and rack and had to change (ghetto rig) the bag mounts to move them out about an inch or two on each side, making the rear end much wider than the FJR. Also, the rear rack was not clear coated, so was probably last minute rattle-canned to get it on display. So my guess is the tail light, rear rack, and bag setup will be slightly different then they are now. They wouldnt let me sit on it :-( but peg position looked about the same as the FJR, although the windshield didnt look too big. Very hard to tell with it on the platform though.

I think this will be a very refined and quality bike based on the photos so far.
BrunDoggie - Quit smokin the funny stuff and start riding that garage queen of yours.

Refined? Have you seen it? Looks like a nasty jigsaw puzzle of wires, brackets, hoses. Give me a break. Perhaps a shot of andrenaline high, but refined and quality will not be words commonly associated with it.

That's my .02. Guess we'll all find out at some later date.

That's my .02. Guess we'll all find out at some later date.
Like when they finally SELL & DELIVER one. :rolleyes: We (the sport-touring owners) will know more once Kawi presents more than a couple of rolling prototypes. They'll let the wags from the bike magazines ride them and give us their own "Yea-freakin'-haw" impressions about how golden everything on the bike is. Then there will come the side-by-side comparisons (hopefully Yamaha will provide an "A" model, Honday a new ST-1300). Realizing, in the evolution of things, that the Kawi will be the "new-golly-gee-whiz-bang" kid on the block.

But thinking and having opinions is the American way, isn't it?

I think one has to evaluate the way manufacture's first models in the past were tested and developed vs. how they are done today. While engineering and testing standards and proceedures have changed for the better so have the experience and equipment of those doing the product testing and development. The engine of the X-14 has proven itself and the only real change has been the de-tuning of same in the C-14. As nasal as the Japanese are in their PD, one should have no worries with the new Connie. As mentioned time will tell the real story but IMO the new Connie is a huge step for Kawi in the right direction. The only question in my mind is the quality of the bike up to the standards of the Yamaha, Honda, etc. I have a feeling it is. It will be interesting for sure, but I still would pick my FJ over any of the others. PM. <>< :D

I finally got to se e an 07 FJR, and though enamored with the new Connie when I first heard about it, I have reached the following conclusion. The new FJR is a beautiful bike. It has all I need in terms of power and uses regular gas. It has taken me a year to get mine set up the way I want it and I am sticking with Yammis. My first touring bike was a KZ400 and I've had a COnnie. I think Kawi builds fine machines but the 07 FJR is art. IMHO.

Well, I had an 86 Concours and now I have an 03 FJR. First models don't scare me. :D (Well, okay, I guess that technically, I should specify first U.S. models).

Of course, the real reason is that I'm budget biker and I bought both of them used. I wasn't a first adopter either time. In my experience, the real advantage of waiting isn't that the factory works things out. The riders work things out. With both the Connie and the Feejer, there were a zillion tweaks, basement shop farkles, aftermarket accessories, and knowledgable folks like around here to give me ideas and help set the thing up the way I want it. I've taken full advantage of that with both bikes. Instead of sorting all things out by myself, I've been able to look at what others did and choose the best solutions to whatever problems I've faced. Sometimes, it's nice to leech. ;)

I tend to keep both cars and bikes for a long time. I have several years of thrills left in the 03. And I really, really love this bike. By the time I've run it about as far as it will go, I'll see what's out there. Maybe I'll end up with a nicely farkled Connie 14 from one of you guys who jump ship now. :lol:

I would rather have another 20 ft pounds at 4k rpm than another 20 horses at 8k I would ask for a lighter bike but the cheapest thing to lighten would be me.

Hey All,

The C14 looks pretty nice but the rear of it looks like an after thought(cheap..no real tail section) and I have seen pics of it without the luggage and it looks terrible...Looks like its missing something(bags). The Fjr is great looking any way you slice it(bags and no bags). I also don't approve of the C14's 6000 mile valve interval adjustments.. Fjr's is 26,000. How many times a year would you be adjusting the valves on the C14??

My take is all..

6000 mile valve checks? That doesn't sound right out of a Japanese product. Unless I am mistaken the old Connie had that interval, it is hard to believe that the modern 14 powerplant would not have improved intervals.

Well, I had an 86 Concours and now I have an 03 FJR. First models don't scare me. :D (Well, okay, I guess that technically, I should specify first U.S. models).

Of course, the real reason is that I'm budget biker and I bought both of them used. I wasn't a first adopter either time. In my experience, the real advantage of waiting isn't that the factory works things out. The riders work things out. With both the Connie and the Feejer, there were a zillion tweaks, basement shop farkles, aftermarket accessories, and knowledgable folks like around here to give me ideas and help set the thing up the way I want it. I've taken full advantage of that with both bikes. Instead of sorting all things out by myself, I've been able to look at what others did and choose the best solutions to whatever problems I've faced. Sometimes, it's nice to leech. ;)

I tend to keep both cars and bikes for a long time. I have several years of thrills left in the 03. And I really, really love this bike. By the time I've run it about as far as it will go, I'll see what's out there. Maybe I'll end up with a nicely farkled Connie 14 from one of you guys who jump ship now. :lol:
2003 was the FJR's 3rd year ;)

Personally, I plan to keep my FJR. Best bike I've owned.

I did ride a ZX14 before purchasing the FJR and almost bought one, I still want one.

I plan to keep my eyes open and buy a low mileage ZX14 from someone who changes bikes often for various reasons as I have in the past and save lots of $$$$ doing so including dealer fees and sales tax.

As for the Concours why trade apples for apples???????

Steve

daddysbike wrote:

I plan to keep my eyes open and buy a low mileage ZX14 from someone who changes bikes often for various reasons
If ya just gotta do that sort of riding you might want to also keep on the lookout for a Busa. Two dealers I know, who carry both, say the Busa's are back to outselling the ZX's now that the intro has died down. Both report sales at better than 2:1! They attribute it to style, brakes and more low end (read usable) power on the Busa. Farkels and knowledge available everywhere also.

I guess I just don't get the attraction of that class of bike - except for 1/4 mi. Any current liter bike will eat them on the twisties or the track if you are a performance junkie and the SST's are so much more comfortable and practical if brisk cruising is the game. I believe each to his own and am happy to just see people ride if thats what it takes to get them out there, I just genuinely don't get it. What am I missing??

Getting back to the thread subject, look at the comparative pics posted under SST - rear view and tell me honestly that the C-14 is even close in style points. I dare ya. And those pics don't show the new add on vent deflectors that were an obvious afterthought.

daddysbike wrote:
I plan to keep my eyes open and buy a low mileage ZX14 from someone who changes bikes often for various reasons
If ya just gotta do that sort of riding you might want to also keep on the lookout for a Busa. Two dealers I know, who carry both, say the Busa's are back to outselling the ZX's now that the intro has died down. Both report sales at better than 2:1! They attribute it to style, brakes and more low end (read usable) power on the Busa. Farkels and knowledge available everywhere also.

I guess I just don't get the attraction of that class of bike - except for 1/4 mi. Any current liter bike will eat them on the twisties or the track if you are a performance junkie and the SST's are so much more comfortable and practical if brisk cruising is the game. I believe each to his own and am happy to just see people ride if thats what it takes to get them out there, I just genuinely don't get it. What am I missing??

The ZX14 and Busa are very nice bikes that do a lot things great and on top of that are the two most powerful production motorcycles on the planet. There are guys getting 190-200rwhp out of ZX14's with bolt on mods. Some people just dont understand the appeal to a that type of motorcycle.

As far as the twistys go, either does a fantastic job in the mountains. No they are not like a ZX-10 or an R1, however, they are pretty close. Close enough that the rider is really going to be the determining factor of who is out front. Some people have to ride 100mi to get to the twisty roads and a ZX14 or Busa will beat them hands down in comfort getting there and back.

They are great well rounded bikes that do a great job of everything - comfort, handling, etc and in the case of the ZX-14 - its the most powerful production bike on the planet that responds to bolt-on mods like there is no tomorrow.

You would have to ride one to understand... :)

Mark

Harrisburg NC