Concours14 bagless

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone has been reading his dictionary :lol: ....
AND.... somebody doth protest too much! :D

Every post from you about the GTR1400 has been a negative slam, Orange.... 'sup with that? Surly you can't feel "threatened" by another super-sports-touring rig, can you?

I mean, I can see where one would unabashly slam Hardleys or other crusiers, but... dunno why you would display such a fervent hate against another sport-tourer.....
shrug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone has been reading his dictionary :lol: ....
AND.... somebody doth protest too much! :D

Every post from you about the GTR1400 has been a negative slam, Orange.... 'sup with that? Surly you can't feel "threatened" by another super-sports-touring rig, can you?

I mean, I can see where one would unabashly slam Hardleys or other crusiers, but... dunno why you would display such a fervent hate against another sport-tourer.....
shrug.gif
Interesting point Warchild...introspection shall ensue. I do feel threatened!

Well, I am excessively proud of the purchase decision I made with the FJR, and although I feel justified in making the decision (I wouldn't trade the last 15 months of mileage for anything) I would like to know that my FJR is still the best sport tourer. With the new connie, this is threatened. So maybe I'm overly critical of appearance and maybe I attribute too much to appearance and how that may translate to overall quality (maybe means probably?).

I should list the positives of the new Connie. I know I should. Okay:

1. The front of the fairing is good looking and looks as thought it will be effective

2. The engine power/torque numbers are unknown, yet tantalizing. I can't wait to see this bad girl on the Dyno

3. The configuration is overall good

With all the things that they did seem to research and listen to riders about (6 gears, tire pressure sensors, etc) I am thinking they may just have a major, major hit here if the dyno numbers are good.

I really think that if they lowered the center of gravity as compared to the FJR while still making the thing dive into turns as well as the FJR and handle as well as the FJR combined with additional power and torque over the FJR, well shit...I'll have the 2nd best bike :glare:

That said, I think the design of the plastics on the side are hosed majorly and I think the brake light positioning is stupid. I figure if they are going to all the trouble of making a killer sport tourer that they should at least look at some of the good looking ones from the past and at least match the quality of their style, design, sexiness...appearance. They came short and it worries me that the lousy plastic design and the cheapo brake line wrapping around the front fender method may be indicative of a thrown together pos.

I will be mad at Kawi if this is a loser...they have a great opportunity to do something truly significant for this sport/lifestyle. If they have built what a lot of people hope they have (even me), and there are some good indications that they have, I'll be glad for the sport touring community and I'll still think the sides are fugly. ;)

WC....could it be the dreaded BMW syndrome? :lol: ....
I'll openly admit that the 2003 BMW K1200RS is a much nicer looking bike than the FJR. It is sluggish into the turn and feels like an FJR riding on 20lbs of front tire pressure, but it sure is good looking. The BMW1200RT is a great bike in the turns. It matches the FJR in quick turn in, but it's not as good looking as the FJR. My 1977 R100RS was friggin beautiful.

The Kawi...front is good...sides crap...they need to fire the brake light team.

Nobody fool yourself... This bike will kick the Feej in the dick at every turn.

Now, that being said, nobody should feel bad. The FJR is a ~7 year old bike and hasn't seen a MAJOR change at all. I certainly hope any new comer would bring something serious to the table - or else get completely laughed at.

I love my FJR and will not seriously consider a switch for a good long while. But let's face facts - there is a new king on the horizon. The only thing that might derail this bike is Kawa build quality. Apparantly, that hasn't afflicted HD, so maybe they should make it part of the bikes charm??

-BD

Little things...little things is what looks good on the new Kawi C 14 to me!

First, a monocoque frame = light and a lower CG.

Second, gas tank is re-located, where (?) is not obvious, but probably adds up to a lower CG.

Third, it has fairing mounted integrated mirrors, like the ST 1300 and the old Concours. (Now, if you "have to" ride in the rain, you can't really appreciate how these work over the "antennae" system of rear view mirror mounts on sportbikes! Besides, the mirrors look BIG!

Fourth, it has Kawasaki "quality" which has already been spoken about here. From personal experience, Kawaski factory warranty is one of the "best" there is!

Fifth, the Kawi 14 has automatically (ECU) adjusting valves. Just ask an Acura owner about these, as there are many units still on the road after 150,000 miles.

Sixth, the C 14 has a 6th gear, and based on a ZG 1400 engine, this thing will pick up and Rev at the high end!

Looking good, looking good, now I just need to see one in person!

Sir, I beg to take exception to your remark! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Define ugly for me.... ;)

:stirringthepotevenfurthersmilie:

Stef
I realize that the designer must work within the parameters set by the confines the engineers set forth, so the artist is limited by the size of that large single can (Size required for the cat and the physical dimensions to handle the exhaust pulses from the engine). THAT is the issue for me. If you look at the 1st picture, with the ZZR14 in the background, the dual mufflers are more in "flow" with the overall body lines and look more balanced from the rear of the bike.

It will always be a personal response, and as others have posted, will most likely be taken care of by the aftermarket, but that will not help the Euro riders where replacing the can isn't an option (depending on the country and the enforcement of the exhaust noise/emissions issues.

Its difficult to tell from the pictures as they are a 2 dimensional image while we live in a 3 dimensional world. The single can "appears" to be at an angle that doesn't match the body lines (To clear the sidecases, of course). The length of the header pipe looks "stretchy" to me where, by comparison, the header pipe that is exposed on the FJR is short (about 8"-10").

Of course, all of this is conjecture until I get ot see one "in person", again considering the "3 dimensions" and how they affect the eye and the brains perception.

OTH, others will not be "put off" at all. Much depends on the individual's brain and sight acuity. For me, when walking into a room, a picture that is slightly off level drives me nuts. Its a psycho-perception/impulse behavior response. To each his own.

:dribble: :stirringthepot smilie: :stirringthepotsmilie: :stirringthepotsmilie: :lol:

Nobody fool yourself... This bike will kick the Feej in the dick at every turn.
Now, that being said, nobody should feel bad. The FJR is a ~7 year old bike and hasn't seen a MAJOR change at all. I certainly hope any new comer would bring something serious to the table - or else get completely laughed at.

I love my FJR and will not seriously consider a switch for a good long while. But let's face facts - there is a new king on the horizon. The only thing that might derail this bike is Kawa build quality. Apparantly, that hasn't afflicted HD, so maybe they should make it part of the bikes charm??

-BD
The point I keep coming back to is that this is gonna be great for us consumers. The ST is gonna hafta get better or get gone. Honda won't let that happen. And yeah, Kawi is gonna run right up the FJR's butt which should force a better machine outta Yamaha. Now, put a Honda, a Kawasaki, a Yamaha, a BMW & a Triumph dealer within a 50 mile radius and let the dickering (let it go, odot) begin!

There is no question. The ST1300 has been selling considerably under MSRP for over a year and Kawisaki throwing in will just make it better for the consumers.

Its difficult to tell from the pictures as they are a 2 dimensional image while we live in a 3 dimensional world. The single can "appears" to be at an angle that doesn't match the body lines (To clear the sidecases, of course). The length of the header pipe looks "stretchy" to me where, by comparison, the header pipe that is exposed on the FJR is short (about 8"-10").

Well, one way to get rid of left side rider leg heat on the '02-'05 Feej, is to move the CAT to the right rear of the rider on the '07 Kaw. :)

Well, there's more to it than that. The length of the header pipe also has much to do with the scavenging affect from the 4 into 1 system the Kawi is using. While they could play with the diameter before the muffler, there is still the "effective" length to draw the most performance from the engine (whether peak torque or peak horsepower and where that particular aspect appears in the rev-band). AND, they had to design the single muffler and position it for ground clearance at a particular lean angle (probably more steep than the FJR's).

IMO, the FJR looks better. I 'spose I'm just a "symetrical" proponent rather than one who appreciates the "asymetrical" appearance.

Apples and oranges! I'd still like to see one "up close and personal". I suppose the "Int'l Bike Show" is a MUST attend this year. :unsure:

Hey Mad Mike! You wrote:

IMO, the FJR looks better. I 'spose I'm just a "symetrical" proponent rather than one who appreciates the "asymetrical" appearance.

Well see, I'm not opposed to assymetry, in fact I prefer it! It's what separated the Millenium Falcon (Hans Solo's ship) from the Imperial Star Cruizers in the original Star Wars Trilogy! :glare:

Anyway, I'd like to see where the C 14 has tucked its battery and what the output of that Kawi alternator is!

[stirringthepotasitwere) ;)

Hey Mad Mike! You wrote:

Well see, I'm not opposed to assymetry, in fact I prefer it! It's what separated the Millenium Falcon (Hans Solo's ship) from the Imperial Star Cruizers in the original Star Wars Trilogy! :glare:

Anyway, I'd like to see where the C 14 has tucked its battery and what the output of that Kawi alternator is!

[stirringthepotasitwere) ;)
Hmm...the new Kawi's nickname??? Falcon?

I was at the local dealers yesterday and the owner said Kawasaki had promised to bring this bike in at about 1000 dollars less than the competitors sport touring bikes. Of course they didn't specify exactly who those competitors where. If it's BMW then the Concours could be pretty pricey. Honda or Yamaha and it may be around 13 or 14 grand. I'll take a wild guess and say 13,900.