Considering Rejoining the FJR Ranks - Question for 2016 ES owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nels,

I traded an '07 ST1300 for a 2016 ES, six months ago. Great ride overall. Suspension and cruise are awesome, led lighting is great at night, very light clutch. I love the ease of changing suspension settings with a few clicks. At 80mph you are turning about 3,950-4000 rpm in 6th gear. I put on about 4500 miles this season, with no issues. One complaint I have is I wish the wind screen travel range were wider. ST had roughly 7.5" vs FJR's 5".

Good luck,

Yury

i came off an 09 c14, bought new and put 98k mikes on it, traxxion ak-20 and penske 8983, flash, pipe, seth laam seat.

purchased a 16es a few months ago, first, LED headlight is amazing !!! suspension is great, and amazing to adjust on the fly. my first fjr !!

i have about 5k miles on it, very pleased so far. i am a very spirited rider, in the corners, riding the pace,

Wonder what whistle and/or bell Yamaha is going to come up with next to sell their new bikes? Kind of reminds me of Apple and their I just gotta have it smart phones. I was going to add for dummies but I resisted.

That kind of nasty comment said I do like the new OBD2 diagnostic system on the new bikes. I don't like the electronic suspension because this kind of strikes a blow to the aftermarket suspension component makers which I think offer better products that last longer and perform better overall than stock. If Yamaha drops the "A" model there you go, have a ball buying new rear shocks every two years or sooner from Yamaha. Talk about ripping a page from BMW's play book.

Oh, and that 6 speed trans, no thanks. I mean, what, sixty two mph in 6th at 3K RPM? Where's the gain especially on a bike that red lines at 9 grand and is pretty happy at nearly all engine revs anyway. I guess you get more left foot exercise so there is that.
rolleyes.gif

I don't like the electronic suspension because this kind of strikes a blow to the aftermarket suspension component makers which I think offer better products that last longer and perform better overall than stock. If Yamaha drops the "A" model there you go, have a ball buying new rear shocks every two years or sooner from Yamaha.
I don't believe your presumption is correct that the electronic suspension bits are the same quality as the non ES suspension. Having run a Gen 3ES for at least 30,000 miles and several non-ES Gen 1 with stock and aftermarket upgrades.....the ES suspension quality seems better and longer-lasting, and/or at least better sprung for heavy things. The 2016 remains true to that. I never did get to having to rebuild the first Gen 3 I had because I destroyed the bike, but reasonably sure it was also easier to rebuild than the stocker A equipment.

I'm saying the ES suspension is closer to what I consider quality after-market suspension attributes than their non ES stock suspension.

And given a choice of any year FJR after I wadded mine up...I immediately went back to an ES. It wasn't even close. The 2016 is a great refined bike that uses the Gen 3 and 3.5 gizmos to their advantage. And the clutch pull alone of the slipper was another nice touch of this year.

Regardless, the after-market suspension segment will STILL offer options to those that want to dial things to 11. I know of at least one suspension tuner that is working on things right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what whistle and/or bell Yamaha is going to come up with next to sell their new bikes? Kind of reminds me of Apple and their I just gotta have it smart phones. I was going to add for dummies but I resisted.
I would like to see self-cancelling turn signals and tire pressure monitors. I am STILL riding down the rode with my blinkers going. I know it is dangerous since it gives the wrong message to the cars around you. And the TPS would be good since my buddy got a flat on his BMW last weekend. He didn't realize it until it was too late. The tire rubber had separated off the rim so his tire repair kit was useless.

I would like to see self-cancelling turn signals and tire pressure monitors. I am STILL riding down the rode with my blinkers going. I know it is dangerous since it gives the wrong message to the cars around you. And the TPS would be good since my buddy got a flat on his BMW last weekend. He didn't realize it until it was too late. The tire rubber had separated off the rim so his tire repair kit was useless.
+1 for a TPMS. Definitely a safety issue--surprised it's not required on all new bikes.

+1 for a TPMS. Definitely a safety issue--surprised it's not required on all new bikes.
While the TPMS is great for advance warning of a slow leak, it wouldn't do me much good in the event of a fairly quick loss in pressure while riding. I don't find myself watching the display that closely (which is why self-canceling turn signal indicators would be nice).

While the TPMS is great for advance warning of a slow leak, it wouldn't do me much good in the event of a fairly quick loss in pressure while riding. I don't find myself watching the display that closely (which is why self-canceling turn signal indicators would be nice).
I just installed a Hawkshead unit and find that I check it more often than I thought I would. If I hit some sort of pavement defect that sort of feels like a low tire I quickly check the guage to make sure everything is okay. I prefer an aftermarket system because of the choices to be made (in my case, external sensors with replaceable batteries). With factory systems, such as the one on the Kawasaki C14, you have to buy their internal sensors and have them re-programed to the ECU when the sensor batteries die. A few hundred dollars apiece + the labor to install and program does not make the C14 owners very happy.

Dan

Doran 360, warning lamp lights off if 3psi drop within 12 sec. Enough to get me off the road before the tire went completely flat.

-Steve

I just installed a Hawkshead unit and find that I check it more often than I thought I would. If I hit some sort of pavement defect that sort of feels like a low tire I quickly check the guage to make sure everything is okay. I prefer an aftermarket system because of the choices to be made (in my case, external sensors with replaceable batteries). With factory systems, such as the one on the Kawasaki C14, you have to buy their internal sensors and have them re-programed to the ECU when the sensor batteries die. A few hundred dollars apiece + the labor to install and program does not make the C14 owners very happy.

Dan
depends on the year of the sensors, some the batteries can be replaced, others they can not and require sensor replacement. had a c14 for 6 years before switching teams

the tpms were a great asset, i was able to keep it on the display, and monitor a plugged tire on a trip, wish it was on the fjr,

Dan
depends on the year of the sensors, some the batteries can be replaced, others they can not and require sensor replacement. had a c14 for 6 years before switching teams

the tpms were a great asset, i was able to keep it on the display, and monitor a plugged tire on a trip, wish it was on the fjr,
Yes, that is true, the earlier versions of the C14 had sensors that could have the batteries replaced with some work (thanks to Fred). This still involved removal of the wheel(s) and dimounting of the tires. There were also several warranty repairs due to faulty sensors which required the dealer to remove each wheel, dismount tire, replace sensor, reprogram, etc.

This is why I looked for systems with external sensors and replaceable batteries. The Doran is excellent (my good riding buddy has had one for years) but it requires replacement of the sensors when the battery dies (at some expense and hopefully they will always be available). The sensors on the Hawkshead unit I have use watch batteries and it is a piece-o-cake and very inexpensive to change them out.

Dan

Yes, that is true, the earlier versions of the C14 had sensors that could have the batteries replaced with some work (thanks to Fred). This still involved removal of the wheel(s) and dimounting of the tires. There were also several warranty repairs due to faulty sensors which required the dealer to remove each wheel, dismount tire, replace sensor, reprogram, etc.
This is why I looked for systems with external sensors and replaceable batteries. The Doran is excellent (my good riding buddy has had one for years) but it requires replacement of the sensors when the battery dies (at some expense and hopefully they will always be available). The sensors on the Hawkshead unit I have use watch batteries and it is a piece-o-cake and very inexpensive to change them out.

Dan
How about some specifics, you know: part #'s, mounting pics, etc.

Dan
Mine is a HawksHead Moto Track Cruiser 2 TPMS System:

I installed HawksHead T-Stems on both wheels so I can check/adjust tire pressures and keep the sensors in place:

The control unit is wireless and has a rechargeable battery. I mounted it on a bracket bolted to the mirror mount boss:

The control unit battery lasts a long time, I just recharge it here and there but the low battery symbol has never come on.

Dan

Dan
I installed HawksHead T-Stems on both wheels so I can check/adjust tire pressures and keep the sensors in place:

Dan

Dan, why does your valve stem have a 90 degree angle? Does that let you put in air from the side instead of the top? If so, where did you get the 90 degree valve stem?

Thanks!

Dan, why does your valve stem have a 90 degree angle? Does that let you put in air from the side instead of the top? If so, where did you get the 90 degree valve stem?
Thanks!
As I mentioned earlier, the "T" stems allow air pressure adjustments without having to remove the sensors. These are made by HawksHead as indicated right above the picture.

Dan

Thanks!
As I mentioned earlier, the "T" stems allow air pressure adjustments without having to remove the sensors. These are made by HawksHead as indicated right above the picture.

Dan
Do the wheels need to be spinning with the HawksHead system before the pressure is displayed, or are the sensors active at all times?

The sensor on the Smartire system I had on my ST didn't activate until the wheels started turning. The TP Checker system works as soon as the bike is powered on. Pretty handy as I can just look at the readout on my dash when adjusting the tire pressures. The TP Checker system comes with a 45 degree extension which you screw onto the valve stem to make it easier to get the air hose onto the stems.

Thanks!
As I mentioned earlier, the "T" stems allow air pressure adjustments without having to remove the sensors. These are made by HawksHead as indicated right above the picture.Dan
Do the wheels need to be spinning with the HawksHead system before the pressure is displayed, or are the sensors active at all times?
The sensor on the Smartire system I had on my ST didn't activate until the wheels started turning. The TP Checker system works as soon as the bike is powered on. Pretty handy as I can just look at the readout on my dash when adjusting the tire pressures. The TP Checker system comes with a 45 degree extension which you screw onto the valve stem to make it easier to get the air hose onto the stems.
AdamOnce powered on, no wait time before the sensors connect to the head unit? That is a nice feature.

I have the Doran powered all the time (with on/off switch for storage) so I can get real time pressures without the 5 min wait.

-Steve

Thanks!

Dan
The pressure display varies as to when it picks up the sensors. Sometimes it is right away, within 1/4 mile of departure, sometimes several miles. It may be related to ambient temperature, the warmer it is, the quicker the pickup. Also, the sensors on the valve stems seem to be inordinately sensitive to ambient, the colder it is, the lower the reported pressure. As a result, I don't use these as an indicator of accurate tire pressure, I check with a pencil gauge before each ride. On super-slab rides I run 38F, 42R and on twisties combat runs, 36F, 40R. I look at the TPMS for delta between front and back (always shows 4 PSI difference) and for deflation indicating a puncture. I can also see the pressure rise delta as a percentage of initial reported pressure due to the warming of the tires but that is really not on my radar screen.

My one and only role for this system is to confirm a pressure loss due to puncture so I can move over to a safe place before the tire goes flat. On some of my commute routes, I can be in the far left car-pool lane and have to move three or four lanes over to get to the right shoulder. I check the display at regular intervals to be sure of tire pressure integrity, without the system, I would be guessing.

Dan

Thanks!
As I mentioned earlier, the "T" stems allow air pressure adjustments without having to remove the sensors. These are made by HawksHead as indicated right above the picture.Dan
AdamOnce powered on, no wait time before the sensors connect to the head unit? That is a nice feature.

I have the Doran powered all the time (with on/off switch for storage) so I can get real time pressures without the 5 min wait.

-Steve
I guess I should clarify that, there is a wait time of about 20 to 30 seconds for the base unit to pickup the sensors after it's powered on. With the Smartire system you have to ride the bike 10 to 20 feet to turn the sensors on.