Continued Planning for...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Below is a list that many of you offered as possible roads and sites to visit for a trip I'm taking early June.

The plan is to leave York, PA for Niagra Falls. Then to the Sackets Harbor and enter the Adirondack Park towards the Essex Fairy to Vermont. Once in Vermont I'm heading to Hyde Park for the Ben-N-Jerry Ice Cream. From there I'm looking for the Castle in the Clouds and then to Franconia Notch Park via the Kancamagus Hwy (112). From there I'll be heading back down 302 to 112 down to Ludlow to follow a loop Snikr suggested. After the loop I'll head north on 100 up to Buels Gore near the southern end of Camels Hump State Park. I will then cross Lake Champlain vis 17 to 903. Once back in the Adirondacks, I'll weave my way over to the Hinkley Reservior. From there I'll head South down towards Catskill Park (Woodstock) and over into the Pocono's. I'll continue South back into York PA avoiding all the Highways I can. This will be accomplished in a 4 day trip.

A map was made using MS Street&Trip, but Mapsource will be easier to transfer to my Garmin and as such will rebuild the itenary on Mapsource and then post it here for further suggestions. In addition to those who offered suggestions, I would like to thank Tom for the phone call and discussion on particular roads to consider.

LOCATIONS TO SEE:

• Covered Bridges
  • Castle in the Clouds
  • Mt. Washington (Largest Mt.) and/or Portsmouth NH for a nice seaside town
  • Pemaquid Point
  • Portsmouth NH for a nice seaside town
  • Western shore of Lake Champlain~take ferry over to Burlington VT and then across to NH from there
  • Acadia National Park.
  • Acadia NP in Bar Harbor Maine
  • Flume Gorge Franconia State Park NH
  • Sugar Hill area
  • Errol NH over to Rangely Maine
  • Rangeley Maine
  • Burlington, VT on Lake Champlain
  • Warren, NH
  • Ticonderoga, NY
  • Small's Falls just east of Rangeley, ME (might be a bit out of the way for this trip)
ROADS TO RIDE:

• Kancamangus Highway Rt112 between Lincoln and Conway in NH
  • 116, 118, Rte 10 along the Ct river
  • RT 17 between Bristol and Waitsfield. PM me for more details (PM Snikr fpr more details)
  • Vermont 100~up the center of the state, east of rt 7. It's North-South
  • auto road just north of Jackson on Rt 16 (Mt Washington area)
  • South western NH, Southern Vermont and Western MA also have some great cycle roads, less mountains.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

• Ride Report
  • Ionbeam's ride reports from last year. He has led some excellent tours through the Granite State in the last couple years. Good ideas there.
  • If you're visiting near Bike week in June, I recommend you avoid Laconia, Lake Winnepasaukee area. Way to much traffic ( Note to self: Stay Away)
  • New England Riders

Here is a work in progress list of items to bring:

MOTORCYCLE

TRIP LIST

NECESSITIES:

Credit Card

Extra Bike Key (leave in riding pants and forget about it)

Maps

Windshield/Visor Cleaner

Reservations

Membership Card

FJR Forum Members list, Addresses & Phone#'s

Wallet & Cash

TOOLS:

Needed Allen Wrenches

Screw Drivers

Tire Plug Kit &

Fix-A-Flat

Shop Rag

Electrical Tape

Duct Tape

Small Knife

Small head mounted Flashlight

Tire Pressure Gauge

RIDING GEAR:

Warm and cold weather gloves

Rain suit

Balaclava (Hot and Cold)

Ear Plugs

Camelback

Under Armor Pants & Shorts

Under Armor Shirt

Warm & Cold weather socks

Helmet

Warm &/or Cool weather riding jacket

Warm &/or Cool weather riding pants

Riding Boots

Sunglasses

CLOTHES:

Sneakers/Sandals

Comfortable Pants

Underwear

Socks

Short & Long sleeve shirt

Light Jacket

Sweat Pants

TOILETRIES:

Tylenol

Lip Balm

1st Aide Kit

Ant-Acids

Talcum Powder

Electric Shaver

Toilet Paper

Bug Spray

NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION:

GPS

MP3 Player

Cell phone

Walkie Talkie

PHOTOGRAPHY:

Digital Camera (still)...(video?)

AA Batteries

SLEEPING:

Sleeping Bag

Pillow

MISCELLANIOUS:

Glad Baggies

Extra Flashlight Batteries

Continued suggestions welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sportyou doing this alone?

Planning to at this point. There is a neighbor with an FZ1 that says he wants to go, but...

It's not the first LD ride I've done by myself, though it will be the longest. I'm planning on 300 mile days with a 500 mile day in there somewhere. You interested in joining?

OK. Now I'm really getting miffed!

The Garmin Streetpilot c330 will not accept ready made maps made on MapSource. The only thing it will accept are waypoints. This sucks! I've been lookin at a Zumo 550, but ain't ready to purchase till later this fall.

Guess I'm trusting the ol paper maps and using the GPS as back-up.

Looks like a pretty thorough list. Just a few things come to mind...

For the allen wrenches, get an allen key set...or borrow mine.

Duct tape

Zip ties

Toilet paper (don't want to waste your rags (which you didn't mention) for an emergency stop)

Do you have MTS, Mo-Tow, etc?

Looks like a pretty thorough list. Just a few things come to mind...For the allen wrenches, get an allen key set...or borrow mine.

Duct tape

Zip ties

Toilet paper (don't want to waste your rags (which you didn't mention) for an emergency stop)

Do you have MTS, Mo-Tow, etc?
Good call on the TP. I usually keep a spare rag under the seat, but will add to list. I have tow service through insurance co. I also forgot to add bug repellant for I'm told the masquito(sp) is the national bird in them parts of the country.

What are your travel dates?

I have a couple of business trips in June...but

What are your travel dates?I have a couple of business trips in June...but

I'm fairly flexable on the dates. With that, I finish teaching on June 5th so am planning on an early morning departure June 6th. However, some of this depends on my wifes schedule as she is gone for up to 4 days at a time, which may require me to move back the trip a couple of days or so. The end of June get a bit tricky as I'm teaching Motorcycle Safety and will need to be available for that; and the beginning of July I'll be in CA to visit Family and Toecutter.

Let me know what you think...

Sport

Might want to check out Smuggler's Notch in VT....nice little road albeit sometimes packed with tourists....still nice though.

I'd like to meet up with you guys for a short stint of this trip....I'll have a few other riders that will be interested as well.

So your neighbor with the Fizzy...anyone on FZ1OA?

Add me to the list of contacts. PM inbound...

Might want to check out Smuggler's Notch in VT....nice little road albeit sometimes packed with tourists....still nice though.
I'd like to meet up with you guys for a short stint of this trip....I'll have a few other riders that will be interested as well.

So your neighbor with the Fizzy...anyone on FZ1OA?

Add me to the list of contacts. PM inbound...

PM'd back at ya.

I'm planning on going through Stowe via North on 100 and North on 108, which ought to take me right into Smuggler's notch. I'll give you a call as I firm things up.

3.5 days left before departure and it's all I'm thinking about. Had a slight hick-up at the end of last week regarding whether I was going or not, but the wife actually put her foot down and said I was going. Am I the luckiest man or what! :dirol:

A fellow rider just graduated to a Concours14 and has asked to come along. We're now setting up for bike-to-bike com and he also just added a Concours Top Box as well (Yes Wild72...even after buying the Autocom). For our trip we will be using Motorola Talkabouts for bike to bike.

Haven't decided yet, but I have about 1,500 miles since last oil service, so I may service it before I leave for a 1,700 mile trip???

Looing forward to meeting up with some of you along the way and maybe even a couple more at Americade Saturday evening?

Ride report with pics to follow.

Sport

Latest posts