CORBIN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJA

Reaction score
Does anyone know how it is with CORBIN, they don´t answer to mail or to phone, I orderd a seat for my 2008 FJR and paid the seat 15 weeks ago and I have not got it??

Goran

Finland

HELP, HELP :clapping: :angry:

That is terrible service. I would cancel it and go to Spencer, Russell or just about anyone. Geez with the economy these days you think they would kiss your feet for the business.

I think Corbin has two shops, one in California and one in GA or Florida. Do you know which one you talked to originally?

I see you are in Finland. How was the seat being shipped?

15 weeks is way too long however even for a custom seat. Make sure your time differnce is not getting them off hours, I had no problems when I ordered mine....but I live in the states.

They also may be off for the Holidays.

My guess is they either never sent it or it got lost in transit somewhere...but only they can tell you if it even shipped.

KM

Hope you get your seat soon! I have heard similar things about Corbin - horrible service over the phone or online, but very good in person at their shops.

Corbin sucks. They are no better in person. I have told my story many times about their Daytona FL store but just don't feel like going through it again...just take my word for it. After that expierence I went to Sargents (also in FL and happens to be in Jax where I live) and there is no comparison. I have since bought 4 seats from them on various bikes over the years. Talk to Rudy.

Corbin sucks. They are no better in person. I have told my story many times about their Daytona FL store but just don't feel like going through it again...just take my word for it. After that expierence I went to Sargents (also in FL and happens to be in Jax where I live) and there is no comparison. I have since bought 4 seats from them on various bikes over the years. Talk to Rudy.
I used to buy Corbin seats, and I liked them quite well. But when I needed a custom seat made on a stock seat pan for my Moto Guzzi Norge in 2007, Corbin was really difficult to deal with. I decided to try Sargent, and they did a great job. The custom seat building guy is "Bill."

I currently have Sargent seats on 4 of 5 bikes, and the bike that has its original seat is a 1970 unmolested survivor.

As for advice for the original poster .... I think that Corbin is still in business, but they may take vacation time in the off season. Keep trying, and I'll bet you eventually get them on the phone. Regarding the 15 week wait, that seems quite long. I would think that maybe there has been a communications snafu somewhere.

Corbin's customer service is horrible. They're notorious for it, no matter what type of bike you ride. They've had some God-awful quality problems as well (ill fitting seats or Smuggler units, and ask the Star/Yamaha Roadliner guys about the paint problems with their Corbin saddlebags, some have replaced them 6-8 times under warranty due to paint issues)

Oh yeah, got that t-shirt too. Now all my bikes have Sargents (except the FJR, which is stock)

When you get a good Corbin seat, it's great, but it's not worth the crapshoot, because when you get a bad one, they don't stand behind their product.

+1 for Sargents. My bike came with a Corbin seat and it sucked - - hard as concrete and too slick.

Cancel your order and try Sargents.

I think Corbin has two shops, one in California and one in GA or Florida. Do you know which one you talked to originally?
The shop in Florida is in the Ormand Beach area, not too far off of I-95. They don't build anything there. It is a "showroom" and the staff are pretty much just salesmen. Their inventory is not as large as their space would appear to support. If they don't have what you want in the Florida showroom, all they can do for you is order it from the California facility.

The shop in California is their real headquarters. They build stuff there. If you have a technical problem, supposedly you could try to get it answered there. Unfortunately, as everyone has noted, they do not seem to assign knowledgeable people to provide phone support.

As someone else pointed out, if you get a good Corbin, it can be very good. Sadly, as was also pointed out, if you get a bad one, there are a large number of stories about their poor support after the sale.

I've heard and read all the bad stuff about Corbin. And I believe that I need to put my experiences to, just to be fair and balanced....

I've had Corbin's on my last 3 bikes, and for me there has been no better seat. The first 2 I bought over the internet. Great fit and and immediate improvement over stock. I can ride 500+ miles in a day with a pillion, and get up the next day and do it again. When I bought my FJR I decided that since I live close to the their Ca factory in Hollister, I'd go and get it made as a "ride in". When you go to the factory for a "ride in " appointment, plan on being there for most of the day. They Custom fit the seat to you . You can stand right next to the tech that is making the seat, during the whole process. You can ask questions , and have them make any changes you want. The guy that did mine even said if you want a gel pad built in it, just have it with you and they will incorporate in to the seat as they build it. Before it gets covered they put it on the bike and you take it for a drive so if there is any problems you can have it "adjusted" to fit you. Personally I like Corbin. And I would recommend it to everyone. The key is to make sure that if you order over the internet, that you have very specific instructions included in your order of what you want in the seat. But if you can, the best way to get one is to do a "ride in".

Now as for their customer support over the phone or internet, the few times I have called them , I got a immediate response. But that was a few years in the past, and last that I have heard Corbin is up for sale. The owner wants to retire, and all his kids a successful in there own businesses . The Last time I was there. I was talking to the tech that was making a seat for my buddy. And he was talking to me about this.

GJA, I see that you are in Finland, so a "Ride in would be kinda hard. I would suggest to keep calling them (and keep the time zones in mind), And I would try to call them as close to their morning opening time as I could. I don't know what time that would be in Finland, but it might be worth setting the alarm clock , just to get a hold of them.

I've heard and read all the bad stuff about Corbin. And I believe that I need to put my experiences to, just to be fair and balanced....
GJA, I see that you are in Finland, so a "Ride in would be kinda hard. I would suggest to keep calling them (and keep the time zones in mind), And I would try to call them as close to their morning opening time as I could. I don't know what time that would be in Finland, but it might be worth setting the alarm clock , just to get a hold of them.
No need to set an alarm. He should just give them a call in the evening from Finland, and they should be open. There's a 10 hour time difference to Hollister from Helsinki (so at 19:00 in Helsinki, its 9:00 in Hollister). If calling the Ormand Beach showroom, 16:00 in Helsinki would be 9:00 in Ormand Beach.

No need to call until next week. Those guys are probably all nogged out with Christmas cheer, and whatever they might tell you before the holiday will be quickly forgotten.

GJA - depending upon where your saddle was sent, maybe one of us locals could ride up there and do some asking around for you? It's about 3 hours for me, piece o' cake. Other members are even closer. Keep us posted. Group ride to Corbin?

GJA - depending upon where your saddle was sent, maybe one of us locals could ride up there and do some asking around for you? It's about 3 hours for me, piece o' cake. Other members are even closer. Keep us posted. Group ride to Corbin?
Know a great place for BBQ tri-tip sandwiches, or some mighty fine Mexican food, (use to be an hollister resident of 10 years)

Over the years, I've purchased 4 Corbins. No problems.

Still using 2 of them on my FJR and a 94 Ducati Monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my Corbin seat for the 08', for Christmas. It is awsome, light years above the stock seat. The wife is very happy with it, You know what they say "If momma's happy, then everybodys happy". :rolleyes: This is my 3rd Corbin with no problem.

Corbin's customer service is horrible. They're notorious for it, no matter what type of bike you ride. They've had some God-awful quality problems as well (ill fitting seats or Smuggler units, and ask the Star/Yamaha Roadliner guys about the paint problems with their Corbin saddlebags, some have replaced them 6-8 times under warranty due to paint issues)
I am still embroiled with Corbin over my ill fitting Smuggler (I fixed it myself) and a paint mismatch. I ordered Cerulean silver (blue-silver) and got a pure silver. By phone they said I would have to pay shipping back and forth (total $110) to have it painted under warranty. Then they rescinded the offer immediately and said the smuggler is "as is" even though all my invoices say otherwise. All future communications by email were ignored. The biggest kicker was I had a line on one with a perfect match from a forum member for $55 less than Corbin which I passed on thinking that dealing with Corbin would be safer and easier. Moral: Trust forum members, not Corbin.

I wonder if Corbin reads this stuff ? :glare: