Crotch Rocket Cruiser Thingie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nervous

Reaction score
At the annual Ride for Kids today I went as I always do and was outnumbered by HD's and GW's about 600:1 and think I was the sole FJR in the group. As I pulled into line one of the 20-something volunteers was ogling some garden variety HD, some incarnation of the recycled springer-bobber, soft-hard tail, pan-flat-knuckle-shovel-evo head, FLXHTCABCDEFGH model parked in front of me and as I was walking away I heard him tell his buddy (and I quote) that "I kinda like these crotch rocket cruiser thingies". I didn't stick around to hear the rest of the conversation. Around these parts folks don't get much diversity in their two wheeled transportation. The juvenile fascination with skulls and flames rule the day it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sentiment about the loud crowd was well summed up in a episode on South Park.
Fontanaman,

Thanks for the link to the show. Awesome! Sums it up for me as well. Made me laugh a few times. Loud pipes are so annoying. Loud pipes save lives or you could simply learn how to ride. :) I like my stealth FJR stock exhaust and I'm not interested in making it any louder. I hear the thunder as I approach the Harley riding group and I hear their thunder far behind me in a very short period of time. If you enjoy riding a cruiser, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, why would you want to switch out the exhaust to make it sound like a deafening rumble unless you wanted to draw attention to yourself? I'll never understand that. I guess I'm just a little more considerate to my neighbors.

Jeff

Hey Nervous and all,

Gotta say I agree with you totally.

I love my gen 1 ... It's ALL I ever wanted plus more.

I ride a flhtp for work but when I'm on days off my pleasure ride is my fjr!

No matter what you ride ... Get out there and let the good times roll.

I guess the difference can be summed up in this quote "I'd rather run in the fields with the hounds then sit on the porch with the puppies". 😜

Be safe all,

Madfrog

I like my stealth FJR stock exhaust and I'm not interested in making it any louder.

I also do not get the loud thing. I also like the stock sound of the FJR. Kinda sounds like a turbine spooling up under hard acceleration.
Again it's all a matter of opinion.

The HD "Loud Crowd" with guys obnoxiously revving up their motors ad nauseam with straight pipes and no baffles should not be confused with a FJR rider that likes a nice sporty sound with aftermarket exhaust tips (Two Brothers, VH CS1 or the like)...and I would be one of those FJR riders myself. ;)

A nice sporty/throaty sound that enhances the bikes performance is enjoyed by many riders. The over-the-top lets see how loud of pipes I can have and draw attention to myself crowd is annoying to me as well. But that doesn't mean you have to stick with silent pipes with virtually no exhaust note as your only other option.

But they do are right about one thing...The "Crotch Rocket Cruiser Thingie" bikes are really cool indeed! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
CNY Ride 4 Kids Utica or Mecedon?
Utica. I always thought it was special that our little city manages a stop every year when there are only about 22 nationwide. Well supported and always a pleasure. I have been on other organized charity rides that are loaded with squids and folks that just ride the things like a**holes but this one seems to be full of patient and respectful riders of every stripe. But it is a unique mix of locals (as I am sure they all are). A fine cause and well run. There are always enthusiastic people along the entire route that come out rain or shine to witness the spectacle. And I just love those brave little kids too!