Cruising RPMs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments...snark and all (I would expect nothing less). Yes, as you can tell from my user name, I came from the Guzzi world. There, anything 3.5K or lower and your alternator wouldn't charge sufficiently on the older models. Too, 4K to 6K was the optimal cruising range.

I ride by both MPH and RPM. I don't want to waste gas (and twisting the throttle for spirited runs and wonking it through turns isn't waste, to me). Also, just looking for advice & experience. I've had this bike only 20 months and 24.6K miles. Wotta bike!

My two brothers exhaust starts snarling around 4k, so I try to keep it there and above in traffic, louder pipes, for safety reasons.

fjRaven posted: My two brothers exhaust starts snarling around 4k, so I try to keep it there and above in traffic, louder pipes, for safety reasons.
Oh. My. God.

Did you just say "loud pipes save lives"?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, After many years and many miles (75k+) my FJR seems to average about 42-44 mpg.

If I flog it it goes down a little, if I baby it it goes up a little....

but overall it's like riding my private 'roller - coaster' and getting kick-ass mileage to boot!!!
punk.gif

I think we're talking about the sweet spot. Where ever vibration is at a minimum. That's the ticket.

I noted that someone said that they're Gen III cruises at 75 mph when it's in 5th gear turning 4000 rpm.

My Gen IIs have all been pushing 80 mph in 5th at 4000 rpm. Is the gearing different, or is this likely to be just be from speedometer error?

As for what rpm to cruise at, even when I owned a Moto Guzzi Norge, I just rode the thing, put it in top gear once I was "at speed," and whatever it was, it was. The Norge was a 1200 cc V-Twin, and it was nowhere near as capable as the FJR.

I noted that someone said that they're Gen III cruises at 75 mph when it's in 5th gear turning 4000 rpm.
My Gen IIs have all been pushing 80 mph in 5th at 4000 rpm. Is the gearing different, or is this likely to be just be from speedometer error?

As for what rpm to cruise at, even when I owned a Moto Guzzi Norge, I just rode the thing, put it in top gear once I was "at speed," and whatever it was, it was. The Norge was a 1200 cc V-Twin, and it was nowhere near as capable as the FJR.
Gen 2 and Gen 3 gearing is the same.

Your speedo is optimistic, same as mine. GPS agrees with my hard sums, which say that 4000 rpm theoretically gives 75.39 mph in 5th.

Link to my gearing calculator.

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
My GenIII does 74 MPH at 4000 RPM in 5th gear (per GPS and speedo with CT mounted). Incidentally, that is within one MPH of what my 2007 R1200RT at 4000 RPM in 6th gear per GPS.

My GenIII does 74 MPH at 4000 RPM in 5th gear (per GPS and speedo with CT mounted). Incidentally, that is within one MPH of what my 2007 R1200RT at 4000 RPM in 6th gear per GPS.
Well there are two major problems right there.

Obviously the CT is a smaller diameter and is throwing off the entire balance of the bike. You had better be careful or you may suffer a fiery plastic and aluminum death due to the CT.

The next issue is that you are further from the equator in your northern latitude. The latitude circle is much smaller up north, therefore I conclude the earth is smaller in diameter up there. So, you are not traveling as far around the earth with each tire rotation.

Simple and obvious. Albert Einstein had nothing on me.
rolleyes.gif

Evidently, I don't care about rpm or what gear I'm in because ,when we left for CFO from council bluffs,ia we rode half way to des moines in fourth gear. Temp was normal when I looked down .Gas Millege went down though,lol