Cycle World writer Kevin Cameron knows Squat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Weekly, his articles drop onto my computer screen, always worth the read. This article above confirms my bias that I can't own an FJR ES model cuz " rule forbids use of external electrical or hydraulic systems to power such ride height changes."

Thanks for looking. Cameron's detailed writing is compelling.
🏍️

Last edited:
The same reason IMNSHO applies to all golf and motorcycle rags, both in print and online. I quit reading/watching the bullshit years ago. All of it.

Interesting article. With lean angle indicators or rider input, I can see ride height adjustment on-the-fly a thing of the future. Perhaps not on the FJR but appealing to the sport bike group of riders. While I agree somewhat with the ruling by MotoGP to limit ride height to input by rider, if all teams were allowed a level playing field on this innovation the end result would be better handling motorcycles available to the buying public. Of course all this comes at a cost but whoever thought we would see motorcycles prices of what they are today? Seems there is no lack of money to spend on motorcycles or accessories.

Weak preload and my heavy arse = Lower Ride Height ;)
I agree but you cannot play with the settings to raise the ride height. I could be wrong as I don't intimately know the ES workings. Yes, setting pre-load stiffer will not allow the suspension to sag/compress as much with the rider aboard.

I agree but you cannot play with the settings to raise the ride height. I could be wrong as I don't intimately know the ES workings. Yes, setting pre-load stiffer will not allow the suspension to sag/compress as much with the rider aboard.
Correct, I was just making a cheap joke. Using preload and damping settings to try to lower the ride height is taking the suspension out of its operational design and would inevitably hurt performance not help it. Maybe even damage the suspension when you hard bottom it

And you can’t change preload while on the go on the ES. Have to be stopped and should be off the bike

I would think this ride height technology will be played with, but at what cost? and does it reduce lap times? possibly, but with the talented riders out on the track these days, you might be talking about hundreds or thousands of a second, all for what, setting new lap time for pole position? possibly. But during the race with tire wear, the system is turned off? Rider concentration using this system full time has to be exhausting. Remember the “anti Dive devices” fitted to the front forks of the mid 80’s bikes? They worked, but had draw backs. I recall it made the front fork harsh under braking and hitting bumps. it worked, but the overall feedback to the rider was not confidence inspiring. Manufacturers eventually removed the device off the forks. Sport riders know already as well as dirt riders to raise the front forks in the triple clamps to increase handling, (quicker steering), for dirt, this translates to quicker steering in the tight woods enduro settings, but you might want to put the forks back to stock settings if any speed (desert riding) will be reached. I just don’t see manufacturers putting this type of device on a production machine selling to the public. IMHO.

Well Harley sells a bike that lowers the suspension when you come to a stop, so it’s technologically feasible to change ride height on the fly.

I didn't know the ES could change ride height. I thought only damping and preload.
Yes. That is what any pre-load adjustment does; it changes the ride height. That is all that it does. It doesn’t make the spring any stiffer. The shock will still compress the same amount with a given added load, just starting from a higher point.

Note: The lever on an “A” (non-ES) is not a preload adjuster. It mechanically blocks out a section of the spring to make it stiffer.

On the ES suspension, the SCU will only allow you to change the preload setting when you aren’t moving, but you can change the damping on-the-fly. When you are standing over, or sitting on the bike while changing the preload setting you can definitely feel the back end move up or down.