cylinder head bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Bolts to be installed clean and dry" How do you all clean the holes that the head bolts thread into. Cleaning the actual bolt threads and the flange with brake cleaner or some other parts cleaner seems straight forward but I could be wrong there also. I am guessing that maybe those holes can be cleaned by inverting the crankcase and using a spray cleaner to flush and clean the area. Is that even close ?

"Bolts to be installed clean and dry" How do you all clean the holes that the head bolts thread into. Cleaning the actual bolt threads and the flange with brake cleaner or some other parts cleaner seems straight forward but I could be wrong there also. I am guessing that maybe those holes can be cleaned by inverting the crankcase and using a spray cleaner to flush and clean the area. Is that even close ?
Brake cleaner is fine.

However, spray into the hole and use air to blow contaminates back out (maybe have a paper towel over the hole to catch crap). A dry run with the bolt NOT tightened down wouldn't hurt, just to make sure the threads are clean and smooth.

You can do this with the engine in place..

There shouldn't be anything in there to begin with. Good practice to cover holes like this when working on machinery.

The point is not to get oil on them or use loctite - it changes the torque reading (they will be WAY too tight)..

Cylinder head bolts aren't the only ones like this on the bike. Crankshaft bearing bolts (which come out if you have to split the case for say, a transmission issue....) are also torque-to-yield, single-use, replace-if-you-screw-it-up.

Last edited by a moderator: