D&H Delivery and 700 mile home report....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
Wednesday I flew from Houston to Birmingham. Jerold picked me up at the airport and up to Cullman we headed. This is about an hour drive. Let me say that this time with Jerold was quite a treat by itself. To say he is a super guy would be an understatement, and if you are willing on listening to what he has to say you can learn a hell of a lot about him. He has quite a mechanical background, and has a lot of common sense advice.

We arrived between rain showers. My plan was to do the paperwork, and ride 330 miles to Vicksburg MS, then 400 home on Thursday. Due to the rain, and forecast that some was severe, we hung out at the dealership for a couple of hours. Jerold sent out for burgers and fries (actually asked me what I wanted) for everyone there. I can't say enough about what a great group of folks they are. Jerold and Renaa are awesome, and the rest of the crew were too. Dennis is super nice, and Renaa's mother was there as well - very sweet lady. I apologize I don't know the names of the mechanics, but they were all good guys and I talked to them for a while back in the shop.

Finally at about 2:00, I headed out of the dealership in a light rain. At that point I decided to only go 200 miles to Meridian. Despite very limited time on FJRs (about 18 months ago), and not a lot of riding time in rain for many, many years, I quickly got comfortable and was running between 70 and 80mph. In the light rain I was doing 70 - 75, and in the heavier stuff I still was comfortable doing around 65mph. Just before Meridian, I saw two cars that had just gone into the ditch (the driver still in the car, and people just going to help them).

Yesterday I left Meridian at about 7:45. Without going into all the details, I ran mostly secondary roads, and it was about 525 miles back home. Got home at about 6:15. How was I feeling? 10 minutes later I was mowing the lawn, then cleaned the motorcycle.

I guess I should have clarified for those not familiar with me. I just sold a Honda ST1300 that I had for about 18 months, and I also have a Goldwing. I started riding in 1971 and did some roadracing in the early 1980s. Was away from motorcycles from 1987 until I bought the ST.

A few brief comments on the FJR.

> The windscreen works perfectly for me. It is better than the one on my ST

> The ride was very comfortable. I'd rate is slightly better than the ST

> The seat worked well. My butt hurt a little, but less than the ST does at 250 miles.

> My right wrist started bothering me quickly both days, but oddly it seemed to bother me less as the day went on. I had tried to by a Throttlemeister for the trip, but they told me they were reworking it for the '06 and didn't have it ready yet. I will add it, and with that the ride would have been better.

> Power - yes, it's faster than the ST (no slouch itself). Let's just say that after I had passed the 500 mile mark, I found well into triple digit bursts to be quite a fun way to break the monotony of the long ride!

> I probably averaged 45mpg for the trip, with one tankful at about 47. And that was running many miles between 70 - 80 mph. I'd say it gets about 2-3 mpg better than the ST.

All in all, I really like the FJR a lot. Make that a WHOLE lot!!!

Also, let me reiterate. D&H is one super dealership. To say that I highly recommend them would be an understatement. The fact their prices are the lowest in the country becomes secondary after you deal with them. This is a dealer you would pay a premium to once you get to know them. I realize that for folks like myself who have to travel there that price is what gets you to travel that far to pick up a motorcycle, but I can assure you that they treat you better than a dealer that charges full MSRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its great that there are still dealerships out there that put the customer before all else. When I utter my dealers name it is usually followed by a long line of expletives....

Glad to hear you got the bike back home. You will probably be needing to do the 600 mile oil and rear drive fluid change. I would suggest you not torque the drain plug to the reccomended 31 ft/lbs. I am using 20 ft/lbs on mine and it seems to be working fine.

Glad to hear you got the bike back home. You will probably be needing to do the 600 mile oil and rear drive fluid change. I would suggest you not torque the drain plug to the reccomended 31 ft/lbs. I am using 20 ft/lbs on mine and it seems to be working fine.
Thanks for the advice Fred. I'm leaving here in five minutes to go get the Texas inspection. I'm also having them do the oil change this morning. I usually do it myself, but I'm trying to establish a relationship with my local dealer for any service issues that come up (I've met with them and they have treated me great - they understand that buying an FJR out of state is sometimes the only way to get one).

Fred - your advice is always a big help to me on the Goldwing, and now the FJR - thanks!

jjsC6: Congratulations on your new ride! I am pleased to hear that you are satisfied with your purchase, especially since you are coming from an ST1300 and a Goldwing. I am due to pick up my FJR from D&H when I return from Iraq :yahoo: in two weeks (they called my wife last week to say my bike arrived). I too have an 04 Goldwing, and an 03 Harley Electra Glide. The nearly 6 month wait has given me some time to second guess my decision :blink: , as I will probably have to sell the Electra Glide in order to keep the FJR. I'll always have a Wing...it is arguably the undisputed long distance bike of choice. While I've waited for the FJR, I've been eyeballing a cruiser...the new Suzuki M109. Decisions, decisions. Again, I'm happy to hear you made the right move, and that D&H is as good as I've previously heard. Ride safe and enjoy your new wheels! A06

JJ,

Did you consider yourself to have "heat" issues on the st1300?

If so,

Have you been able to test the heat management on the FJR is similiar conditions?

My (old) ST1300 had no heat issue untill the ambient tempurature reached 80. then got exponetially worse as the temps climbed and the bike was low on fuel. I havent been in a situation to test my 06 FJR in the same conditions. I sold my St1300 over this issue.

Glad you had a good experience with D& H, I was very close to a new bike road trip untill i found a dealer close by that was willing to work with me.

GreyGoose

Gald your trip went well, and back home safe and sound!!! Congrats on the new Bike :D
Todd
How did this happen? I'm still getting used to this new forum program - it's by far the hardest to use of all the forums I'm on. I responded to the wrong thread, then managed to accidentally merge two responses into one. SORRY!

They also sell Kawasaki. They have a new ZX-14 sitting on the floor, btw. Yes, I HAD to sit on it for a minute :rolleyes:

JJ,
Did you consider yourself to have "heat" issues on the st1300?

If so,

Have you been able to test the heat management on the FJR is similiar conditions?

My (old) ST1300 had no heat issue untill the ambient tempurature reached 80. then got exponetially worse as the temps climbed and the bike was low on fuel. I havent been in a situation to test my 06 FJR in the same conditions. I sold my St1300 over this issue.

Glad you had a good experience with D& H, I was very close to a new bike road trip untill i found a dealer close by that was willing to work with me.

GreyGoose
There was a little heat at times on the ST, but it never bothered me enough to consider it a problem. I ride all year around, and have ridden the ST many times in 95 degree temperature. I mostly felt it when sitting at a red light.

I just got back from riding the FJR - it's about 81 degrees out right now. I felt no heat at all. Might be a little early to tell for certain, but I'm willing on believing at this point that the FJR does not have a heat problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to see that you got the spelling of Jerold's and Renaa's names right. It is only common courtesey to make sure they are correct when mentioning them in print. Too many people don't get them right and, when you're as great as these two people are, they are being done an injustice.

I'm going to see Renaa (with two As) tomorrow to pickup #868. Flying down from Rhode Island and riding my baby back home... :yahoo:

I'm going to see Renaa (with two As) tomorrow to pickup #868. Flying down from Rhode Island and riding my baby back home... :yahoo:
Wow. How many miles is that?

Don
About 1450 miles, mostly back roads. Going to attend the world trials event outside of Chattanuga over the weekend and leaving Monday morning for home