Dale Walker's Holeshot 4-2 Header System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jestal, do you use (or have to use) a PCIII as well, with your setup?

Yes, I have a PCIII on it. I used the fuel map that Holeshot has available. It was developed with their pipe and their cans but I figured it would be pretty close for starters. I have modified the map some on my own so it is not the exact Holeshot map but the Holeshot map ran in the bike for several hundred miles before I meddled with it and it ran fine. I already had the PCIII on the system before I put the Holeshot header on so I don't know how it would have run without it.

Very happy with the Holeshot system. I had one of the first 3 he made and feel it was a great farkle.

How is the color of the silver ceramic? Does it nearly match the stainless midpipes? Has it weathered well, or is it discoloring, corroding, flaking, or otherwise changining in appearance?

-BD

How is the color of the silver ceramic? Does it nearly match the stainless midpipes? Has it weathered well, or is it discoloring, corroding, flaking, or otherwise changining in appearance?
-BD
I think the color is excellent, the maps on the other hand I am not sure about. I am putting mine on a Dyno at OC motorsports tomorrow morning.

006.jpg

015.jpg

011.jpg

what do you think?

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks GREAT, Fairlaner. Thanks for the pix. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.....and from what others have written in this thread, it definitely does.

Thanks again to all who are running this system for providing some good information here.

I'm calling Dale this afternoon to order mine!

Looks GREAT, Fairlaner. Thanks for the pix. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.....and from what others have written in this thread, it definitely does.
Thanks again to all who are running this system for providing some good information here.

I'm calling Dale this afternoon to order mine!
So i just got back from having the bike dynoed, now i have a nice custom map for it.

It made 125hp and 85ft lbs at the rear wheel and runs way smoother than it did, and boy does it sound crisp when you roll it on.

anyone have any other numbers for comparison?

Richard

I didn't gain that much on the top end with just the header, but then I added a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil to the kick stand spring and picked up nearly 10 ponies on the top end. Guess thats why it's called Mystery Oil... :lol:

Called Holeshot this afternoon to order a header. FYI, they have five that will be ready within a few weeks. I have dibs on number 4, leaving one more for someone else to buy. Don't know when the next "batch" will be available.

Any of you other fence-sitters thinking about it, consider this a friendly shove.

Called Holeshot this afternoon to order a header. FYI, they have five that will be ready within a few weeks. I have dibs on number 4, leaving one more for someone else to buy. Don't know when the next "batch" will be available.
Any of you other fence-sitters thinking about it, consider this a friendly shove.
Well when you get them if you find you need to try a different map let me know and i will send you mine.

richard

Anyone actually install the Holeshot headers on an 06??? I just got my service manual and thought I'd look into what it would take to take the headers off. Sounds like a lot of work and maybe not all is necessary to get the headers off. This is what the manual says:

1. Take off left and right side tupperware

2.. Take off fuel tank

a. Take off seat

b. Take off tank

c. Take off fuel pump (I'm 99% sure this is unnecessary)

3. Drain Coolant

4. Remove Radiator

a. Remove throttle bodies (don't have a clue why?)

1) Remove T-bar

2) Remove Air filter case

3) Remove Air cut-off valve

b. Remove Coolant Reservoir (another unknown)

c. Remove Horns

5. Take off mufflers

6. Finally, take off headers

Anyone actually install the Holeshot headers on an 06??? I just got my service manual and thought I'd look into what it would take to take the headers off. Sounds like a lot of work and maybe not all is necessary to get the headers off. This is what the manual says:1. Take off left and right side tupperware

2.. Take off fuel tank

a. Take off seat

b. Take off tank

3. Drain Coolant

4. Remove Radiator

1) Remove T-bar

c. Remove Horns

5. Take off mufflers

Shit that is way too much work. all i did was take off the side panels, remove the bottom rad bracket (attaches to the motor),

I then pulled radiator away from motor and tied it to the front wheel with tie straps, remove the cans, and then remove the headers. was not hard at all. I did find it easier to get at the bolts with a universal joint connected to an allen socket.

And yes that is a Bill Mayer seat.

Richard

Anyone actually install the Holeshot headers on an 06??? I just got my service manual and thought I'd look into what it would take to take the headers off. Sounds like a lot of work and maybe not all is necessary to get the headers off. This is what the manual says:1. Take off left and right side tupperware

2.. Take off fuel tank

a. Take off seat

b. Take off tank

3. Drain Coolant

4. Remove Radiator

1) Remove T-bar

c. Remove Horns

5. Take off mufflers

For some reason the manual always goes over the top. The necessary steps are always 30% of what they say. To replace a headlamp they want you to drop the motor...

-BD

I put on a Muzzy full header system yesterday. I had to remove the tupperware and disconnect the lowest radiator mount (center). This allowed the radiator to be swung forward to give me the room to work. I had to use a flexible extension on my ratchet to get the header nuts on/off. Anything above the side fairings is unnecessary work. The tank definitely does not have to come off.

I put on a Muzzy full header system yesterday. I had to remove the tupperware and disconnect the lowest radiator mount (center). This allowed the radiator to be swung forward to give me the room to work. I had to use a flexible extension on my ratchet to get the header nuts on/off. Anything above the side fairings is unnecessary work. The tank definitely does not have to come off.
Thanks guy, just what I needed to hear. I know the other guys meant well AND I looked at closely about two hours ago, but knowing the 06 changed the radiator was my chief concern. Why the hell you would have to go back and take off the throttle bodies really had me going. While you are around this thread, did you have any issues with getting the top of the header out, or does it drop down far enough to just come out the side easily?

Thanks guy, just what I needed to hear. I know the other guys meant well AND I looked at closely about two hours ago, but knowing the 06 changed the radiator was my chief concern. Why the hell you would have to go back and take off the throttle bodies really had me going. While you are around this thread, did you have any issues with getting the top of the header out, or does it drop down far enough to just come out the side easily?
yes it comes out the side real easy

R

Has anyone used the Holeshot headers with a different aftermarket muffler, like the Staintunes, or Blue flames? Do the pipes Inner and outer Diameter match? Would it need a gasket/seal?

Finally, I really liked the Yoshimura big cans on my SuperHawk, has anyone tried to fit Yoshi cans to the FJR?

Paul

Cranky Yankee

The collector pipe diameter of the Holeshot header is larger than the production FRJ exhaust system collector. The OEM cans will slip onto the Holeshot heater by removing the OEM exhaust gaskets and using the cans metal-to-metal on the Holeshot header. Same for the Staintunes. The Staintunes are sized to fit the stock OEM FJR heater using the stock seals so by eliminting the stock seals the Staintunes will mate perfectly to the Holeshot header metal-to-metal. I have Staintune cans on my Holeshot pipe and they fit perfectly. Obviously the Holehot cans would fit but must of the other aftermarket cans will not fit the Holeshot header from what as been reported on the forum previously. You could verify by checking with the muffler manufacturer and see if they fit the OEM FRJ heater collector using the OEM muffler seals. If they do then they would likely fit the Holeshot by removing the seals. Most of the aftermarket mufflers people have tried on the FJR are made to fit the OEM collector metal-to-metal with no seals so they are then too small for the Holeshot header.

Does anyone have a sound clip for the whole system? I've listened to Dale's website clip, but it's just of a quiet drive by and launch. The sound clip I'd like to hear is of someone giving it the gas.

Anyone willing to have a buddy take a clip of them letting it rip?

Thx