Damage to right side - need parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Well the high winds today damaged my fence and knocked the bike off its center stand (not the side stand)... :( The bike fell onto the right side and the mirror broke off, the fairing has scratches and nicks and the muffler has a small dent and a couple of scratches. I am so pissed right now because I can't believe the wind was able to do that. The cover on the bike is ripped to the point of being garbage. I will be checking with the insurance company to see the next step, but I will be checking to see how much the parts will run me if I choose to not make a claim. If I am going out of pocket, I will replace the mirror (no brainer) and some plastic because I can't stand looking at the damage day in and day out. The muffler I can live with seeing that it is very minor.

So, where do you folks order the mirrors and plastic from (other than Ebay) ?

Thanks for the help...

You may wan to contact Garauld to see if he can fix the plastic. I am not sure of the turn around or how you export and import the parts. I know that at work we can do a temporary export. That just seems like a lot of work. But it may be cheeper in the long run. As for parts unless you can get someone in the states to agree to receive them and ship them to you. You will end paying duty on the import side from the states. PM me if you need any help getting parts my dealer ship usually gives me a good price. Get the part number from the Yamaha site. You should check to see if they used the same part number for the states and for canada. You can always order the parts to someones house drive across the border and fix the bike then drive back. Customs would never know. Maybe if you are coming to the open house at WHite Horse you could make arrangements then. It is in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the responses... got some number crunching to do (it won't be cheap if I replace all the plastics). :blink:

That sucks majorly.

You might want to seriously consider repairing the plastic rather than replacing it.

There are some excellent plastic repair products available, and Garauld has an awesome rep for doing this kind of stuff.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad about the damage...these bikes don't do well when they fall over.

I've used Cycle Parts Warehouse a few times with success. OEM parts are pretty damn expensive, might be better to repair what you have.

Good luck!

--G

Well the high winds today damaged my fence and knocked the bike off its centre stand... I can't believe the wind was able to do that.

It's of no help, but you are not the first; mine was slightly different, it was on its side-stand.

(Click on image for larger view)

Written up here.

I feel your pain.

Garauld has an awesome rep for doing this kind of stuff
I think you're just too kind. I have welded broken plastic pieces together. It's really not that hard, but some plastics can't be welded. I suspect the mirrors are made of a material that can't be. Front fenders - yes. :)

Well the high winds today damaged my fence and knocked the bike off its centre stand... I can't believe the wind was able to do that.

It's of no help, but you are not the first; mine was slightly different, it was on its side-stand.

(Click on image for larger view)

Written up here.

I feel your pain.
Thanks for the shoulder to cry on.. :(

I remember seeing that photo and getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach... dang that hurts. Seeing all those bikes over on their side is just so wrong. I am in a better mood today even though it will be a pain in the wallet regardless. I know that if I leave the damaged panels on, it will just get my goat every time I see them... so I will either get them fixed or replaced. Estimate so far for OEM everything is about $844 plus taxes (muffler is staying as is). So now I have to check with a local shop that is good with body work to see what they have to say.

Thanks again for the info and moral support :D

If you do decide to ship to the US for repair, I believe if you go to your local customs office, they have forms to fill out so you don't pay duty on the return. I did do that once and it worked out well for me. The only thing is the description and they may also need a serial # which may prove to be difficult for the plastics. It may be worth a try. Good luck.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'm also dealing with right side over damage.It's a really sick feeling as I can attest too. Maybe we can form some sort of support group for riders with tumped over bikes to vent our feelings and frustrations. New parts are very expensive as I have already learned. Mirror was 140, right side lower fairing around 430 and so it goes. Good luck.

I just did a quick check for a right side 2009 mirror:

Bikebandit $117.xx USD

Partshark.com $84.50 USD

In the old days sometimes I used to find old parts for old bikes (XS11) for my friends north of the border and they would come here for lunch and take their parts back.

Also over the years I have had a couple of parking lot spills. When I put in a claim the insurance person would get official quotes for parts, give me a check for the parts - less the deductible - and I would do my own purchases and repairs. I could always cover the deductible.

Out here in the Northwest (west of the mountains) the wind generally don't blow real hard. But when I am out and about and park, I always try to remember to park in a somewhat sheltered spot, with the bike in gear and with the front/back into the wind. Or in a parking lot, between two cars, etc. As far as a cover, they can act as a sail because they prevent the wind from blowing somewhat thru the bike from side to side.

I still remember a time a few years back in eastern washington out in the middle of nowhere sitting at a stop sign behind a big bike while driving the RV. Real windy day. I mean real windy. A big gust of wind came up and just tipped they guy and his bike over on the side. Took about 1 second. Couldn't believe how fast he and the bike tipped over.

Anyway, I cringe just reading your woeful tale. Good luck with the rehab. About the only good thing is that the loony is pretty strong against the greenback, so that should lighten your wallet a little less.

I just did a quick check for a right side 2009 mirror:

Bikebandit $117.xx USD

Partshark.com $84.50 USD

In the old days sometimes I used to find old parts for old bikes (XS11) for my friends north of the border and they would come here for lunch and take their parts back.

Also over the years I have had a couple of parking lot spills. When I put in a claim the insurance person would get official quotes for parts, give me a check for the parts - less the deductible - and I would do my own purchases and repairs. I could always cover the deductible.
I checked with the Yamaha dealer here and the mirror is $118 (pretty decent given the price online). I have it on order (not too many FJRs here, so he doesn't keep much inventory). The upper fairing is $217 and the large lower one is $507 (that includes all the hardware like clips, turn signal and the logo). They don't have just the fairing as such. So I am doing some online snooping to see what is available and I still have to swing by the body shop to see what they can do.

Well the high winds today damaged my fence and knocked the bike off its center stand (not the side stand)... :( The bike fell onto the right side and the mirror broke off, the fairing has scratches and nicks and the muffler has a small dent and a couple of scratches. I am so pissed right now because I can't believe the wind was able to do that. The cover on the bike is ripped to the point of being garbage. I will be checking with the insurance company to see the next step, but I will be checking to see how much the parts will run me if I choose to not make a claim. If I am going out of pocket, I will replace the mirror (no brainer) and some plastic because I can't stand looking at the damage day in and day out. The muffler I can live with seeing that it is very minor.

Thanks for the help...
A while ago on kijiji ontario, a dealer was selling two bags, mufflers and assorted plastic parts for $1000 or best reasonable offer. Apparently, a black FJR got scuffed up in their dealership so they replaced a bunch of parts. I am not sure where the dealer is located.

I thought about buying them just to have, so I emailed him. He said he would take $700, so that might still be the case. Mine is a 2007 and everything would have to be painted, so I decided not to buy and store this stuff "just in case". He might have what you need. I have sent you a PM with his email address. Good luck.

cheers,

Phil

Thanks for the help...
A while ago on kijiji ontario, a dealer was selling two bags, mufflers and assorted plastic parts for $1000 or best reasonable offer. Apparently, a black FJR got scuffed up in their dealership so they replaced a bunch of parts. I am not sure where the dealer is located.

I thought about buying them just to have, so I emailed him. He said he would take $700, so that might still be the case. Mine is a 2007 and everything would have to be painted, so I decided not to buy and store this stuff "just in case". He might have what you need. I have sent you a PM with his email address. Good luck.

cheers,

Phil

Hey Phil,

I appreciate the gesture... will look into that for sure (I'll keep you posted as to the outcome).