Dash shelf

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, LDRyder, where do you keep the German Shepard to guard all the stuff? [some lowlife even stole a Cycle World watch I had strapped to the bar on my old GS850!]

I was finally able to move my clock from the tank bag!
*snickers, pointing and laughing at LD*
Now THAT'S funny! But I see there's still room for something on the front-brake reservoir.

So, LDRyder, where do you keep the German Shepard to guard all the stuff? [some lowlife even stole a Cycle World watch I had strapped to the bar on my old GS850!]
No problems to date. I do have a cover I slip over the entire dash if I'm going to be out of view for a while. And of course at night the GPS and SPOT come off. Then everything else is protected by a CAR in the tankbag.

shelf01.jpg
I was finally able to move my clock from the tank bag!
*snickers, pointing and laughing at LD*
Now THAT'S funny! But I see there's still room for something on the front-brake reservoir.
that's where i hang my helmet when i need to stop for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are nuts-O. :eek:
I dunno! :dntknw:

I'm thinking real hard about changing to a shelf. My only problem is the V-strom hand guards that reportedly will hit the shelf and where to put my Autocom.

Then I could mount as much junk important electronics as Patriot.
don't bring my name into this sordid affair...I don't see how anyone can ride that thing

total distraction IMHO

<harrrrrrrrumph>

:rolleyes:

I wish the NLine shelf was narrower at the top, still not thrilled that is sticks out from the side of the windshield. I dont think the space is all that usable anyway. I do like having my GPS up high and I can see it better...
Say what? Space not usable? Sticks out beyond the windshield? This is the N-Line dash on my '06.

d835ca7c.jpg

How much time does the insurance company make you spend with an instructor or in the

simulator before you are able to ride solo?

You are better equipt than many aircraft I've seen.

I don't have as much stuff as LD or Patriot, but I do use a shelf and I think it's great. It's a lot easier to see displays mounted on a shelf then it is to look down at the instrument cluster. And, for about the same price as one single purpose mount you can mount five or six items.

The down side is that my V-Strom handguards hit the suport arms that hold the shelf up, and you may have clearance issues with certain windscreens. I run the stock windscreen and the only issue I have is that I mounted a home made weather resistant case for my radar detector a little too far forward and the wind pushes the windscreen against it at high speeds, so you want to make sure you allow clearance for that.

I've run my dash shelf with the stock windshield, a V-Stream, a Cee Bailey, and the current Rifle screen. I also have the V-Strom handguards. Frankly, my grips contact my tankbag before the handguards hit the shelf. YMMV of course.

And in response to questions about distractions, I don't stare at the dash. When my V-1 goes off in my earplug speakers via the Starcomm I then look at the remote display. Changing channels on the XM is quick, and again, I don't stare at the display. The tire-pressure sender blinks flashing yellow when there's a problem, the only time I look at it. The GPS is right below my line-of-sight, which is by design, so I only have my eyes off the road for a few seconds at a time when I need to look at it (unless I'm changing my route which takes a bit longer).

I've run my dash shelf with the stock windshield, a V-Stream, a Cee Bailey, and the current Rifle screen. I also have the V-Strom handguards. Frankly, my grips contact my tankbag before the handguards hit the shelf. YMMV of course.
Thanks for this response. It exactly answers a couple of questions I've had.

I'd like to eliminate the need for a powered tank bag. I wonder if there's room to mount an Autocom on the shelf (or perhaps under it)?

Aluminum brackets wouldn't be that hard to configure, plus, zip-ties and velcro are our friends.

I would think that would work if you could find a way to keep it dry. I considered trying to mount my V-1 under the shelf, but couldn't find an easy way to mount it so I could easily remove it (for when I want/need to use it in my car).

You guys are nuts-O. :eek:
I dunno! :dntknw:

I'm thinking real hard about changing to a shelf. My only problem is the V-strom hand guards that reportedly will hit the shelf and where to put my Autocom.

Then I could mount as much junk important electronics as Patriot.
Mike, I solved the problem of the right side hand guard hitting the shelf, which it did for ages, by cutting a hole in the hand guard, so that it slides down the bolt stock, instead of being bolted to the top of it. Then I black painted an appropriate sized washer & bolted it on to the bolt-stock so that the guard wont pop off. Sorry no pics. When the hand guard sits lower, it doesn't contact the corner of the shelf. Why that doesn't happen on the left side is beyond me. Maybe the right side is a bit tweaked? After a fender bender?? :rolleyes:

Finally got mine installed. Really missed the old setup from my vstrom with gps up high and tight.

The handlebars are tight at lock to lock and bump knuckles when I have the genmar risers installed. Overall though seems like a top quality solution! Having the GPS up high is the only way to go in my opinion. Can't be looking away from the road to look at accessories. Also I thought it would cover the gauges too much, but I only lost the speedomoter readings above 90mph which is ok by me.

9e105b6e.jpg

Old vstrom setup

147.jpg

Here is mine on my '06. Note that this is WITH a Rifle screen and their tuning blocks. I still have room left on the dash for future items.

DSC_0013-1.jpg

I was disappointed to find that on a Gen 1 with bar risers the bars/controls would hit the N-Line brackets even without hand guards. I'm thinking it may be a choice between the shelf and the risers and right now the risers are ahead on points. I can mount the V1 to the brake master cylinder, the GPS to a RAM Bone and have the left side vestigial mirror mount for a satellite radio, GoPro camera or paintball gun swivel. The shelf is cool and if I ran dual GPS's it would be essential, but I'm not that hard core.