Daughter's new hobby

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viperspeed99

Reaction score
Now that I've got the wife on two wheels with me, my nine year old decided she wanted to do it,too

Oh, darn. :p

So, off to Cycle Gear to get her some protection and came home with this:

arbefore.jpg

It was late when we got home, so the best we could do was a few quick trips around the block which netted the following result:

arafter.jpg

Needless to say she had a blast. Wife said she could hear her squealing with joy up and down the block. Now I have a riding buddy for Sunday mornings when the wife is working. :D

Anybody else do any riding with their kids? Any advice? Thanks.

Josh

I envy you. Tried to get my 16 y.o. daughter to ride with me but no go.....same with the wife. I don't know if it is me or the bike :unsure: . Have fun and enjoy any time you get to spend with her!!

Yeah, my 9 year old loves the bike. There's a couple around here of her riding with me when she was 8. Took a 200 mile trip with me last year.

What pants are those? Still haven't found any decent street oriented pants. Been having her wear Carharts 'cuz their thick.

Congrats gaining a new riding buddy! :)

My son began riding with me when he was 7 - 8 and enjoyed the trips with dad. You've already taken care of the gear, good for you. Cherish the memories...it's over all too soon!

--G

Comgrats, it's nice to have your family share your passion of riding, who knows you could be looking at the next Elena Myers :yahoo:

Viper that is fantastic! I am currently trying to convince my wife that my 8 year old son should get some gear and start riding with me. In all honesty, I have been struggling with this idea myself. The wife is terrified of the bike and is not liking this idea at all. I am thinking I might have to re-establish male dominance within the household. I work shift so I am off during the week and during the summer holidays my son and I could really have a blast. I am so happy to see that there might actually be gear to fit the little guy because I don't ride without mine, I don't want him on the bike without it either. Plus, it creates good habits in case he decides to ride later on in life.

Would you mind listing by name which products you purchased? I would really appreciate it and I appreciate your posting this.

Andrew

I just got the same pants, boots and gloves for my kids from Cycle Gear. I had already found kids Jett jacket. My son is 9 and daughter is 8. It seems like decent stuff. Son wore the boots all day, so they must be comfortable. Just wish there was some armor in the pants.

Now that I've got the wife on two wheels with me, my nine year old decided she wanted to do it,too

...Josh
...Tried to get my 16 y.o. daughter to ride with me but no go...
In my limited experience of daughters (I've only one), at around 8 to 12 they're all for it, from 14 to 16 probably against, it isn't cool, unless they're friendly with peers who do ride. In any case, 15 onwards they'll decide for themselves if they do, and nothing you can say or do will influence them. It's entirely down to the boys they're currently interested in.

This applies to ALL aspects of their lives, not just motorcycling.

(Click on image for larger view)

Waiting for her first and only trip on the back of my Bonneville, she was 19 here. Only trip? Yes, apparently it was boring. And there was me toning the ride down so I didn't frighten her off.

My daughter is 9 also and enjoys the occasional ride. I havent taken her on any long rides, an hour being the longest. I always worry about her falling asleep.

I have two daughters 14 and 10 who ride. A few years ago when my youngest was 7 or 8 I took her on a 100+ mile ride. I had a HD then and she was completely miserable on it. Then again, so was I. Sadly, my LD days with them are over. My ex has gently forbidden them from riding except for short little hops here and there - errands, basically. I choose my battles carefully with the ex, and that's not really one I feel I'm going to win. That said, both of them love the FJR for what little they've been on it.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

For those of you that asked, all her gear is the new BILT for Kids line at Cycle Gear. They are even running a 50% off special through the end of May. I was able to get her the jacket, pants, helmet, gloves and boots out the door for right around $225. You can't beat that. The small pants are still a bit big because my daughter is a twig, but I'm having my mom cinch them in about an inch on each side and then we'll be good.

She work up early for school today to ask me when we could ride again. Looks like we might have a fun summer around here. :)

Josh

I began taking with my two youngest kids touring around northern California when they were 12, and shared lots of memorable experiences. Often we'd get up before dawn to meet up with others a couple of hours away.

Advice? Watch out for passengers falling asleep (clunk of helmets, body slipping sideways...). Don't know if that says more about the kid or the bike. Or maybe Dad was a bit too boring a rider to engage their attention at that time of the morning. ;) A bit disconcerting at first, but found assigning duties helped (making them the official expedition photographer, deer spotter, waver to other motorcycles, refreshment and snack manager, etc...). And of course an intercom system was a big plus, too.

Also, I finally ended up buying a Motoport mesh outfit for them (fortunately both wear the same size), of the same type I wear. And for the same reasons and more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations viperspeed99, nothing in this World beats riding a motorcycle with your Child! Here is my Son Seth (then 14) with his Papa Chuy Viejo amidst a pack of Mad Canuckistanis en Nueva Brunswicka, Frostbackland waiting for the ferry boat. Photo is courtesy of MEM.

CFR-Day-3-June-22-2011-151-L.jpg

Once again another fine pic from Mary Ellen, Seth and DaddyDon at Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia, Nord du Ligne.

CFR-Day-3-June-22-2011-180-L.jpg

Of course vs99, into every life a little rain must fall. I also ride with Seth's older brother Greg M., my illegitimate Bastard Son SkooterG!

DSCF0091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son is 14 and has been on the bike since he was 6. He loves it. And all the lads look after him when we're out. LD is still a bit of a way off as he gets the standard teenage 'bored' syndrome on the mile munching sections. I'm sure if there was a way to put a screen for his XBox on the back of my helmet that would be sorted!! My wife hated bikes as well. I passed my test late in life even though I have had bikes since I was a kid. I took her on a few short hops and gradually we did weeks away. Now she is going for her full licence!! Luckily the FJR is too big for her :clapping:

Viper, that's awesome. My son is 3 and I can't wait to take him riding. He loves dad's "Cycles" and climbs up on them to pretend he's riding.

Don't know if you frequent advrider at all but you might check out and possibly contribute to this thread...

ADVRider: For Dads & Daughters

This is an edited version of column I wrote for the June edition of Northern Rockies Rider. It isn't out yet, on the press Thursday. It advocates riding with your kids.

Headline: Let's do it before the nannies say we can't

As avid motorcycle riders, the last thing we want or need are the social nannies further intruding in our lives.

That's one of the nice things about living in Montana: most of us still cleave to the old-west notion that folks should mind their own business and, in return, I'll keep my nose out of theirs.

We gained tens of thousands of new residents from 1995 to 2008, most of them fleeing from the urban centers seeking "quality of life" and some measure of increased freedom.

Curiously, many of the newcomers then were flabbergasted to find Montana was not like LA and set about to change things, to "civilize" us, to make us conform to their notion of what is right and proper.

More regulation and restricted freedoms seemed to be their quest.

They saw no problem with more environmental laws shutting down logging and mining, more laws restricting development (which their moving here caused), more laws regulating how we engaged in transporting ourselves and families from here to there, more driving restrictions on youth, mandatory seatbelt use and on and on.

These "omnipotent moral busybodies," as author C.S. Lewis referred to them, tend to despise motorcycles. I think they resent the personal freedom we riders find, and I think they are disturbed that anyone is willing to take risks in the pursuit of fun and pleasure, since they deny themselves any such risk or enjoyment out of meekness and fear.

So far the safety and health zealots mostly have bigger fish to fry than to focus on motorcycles. My fear is they will win their battles ¬– tobacco, alcohol, transfats, carbon dioxide, firearms and much more – then will eventually get around to laying their crosshairs on us.

Surely they will wage national campaigns (they are doing so in some localities) for horsepower limits, restrictions on aftermarket accessories and customization, mandatory helmets, restrictions on where bikes can be ridden ¬– off pavement and on. They are comfortable regulating away any activity of which they disapprove.

I was thinking about all this while reminiscing about how much more freedom we enjoyed as youths growing up, for me from the late 1950s to the early 1970s.

And I was thinking about the freedom we had to make decisions regarding the rearing of our own children. (I understand spanking – open palm on fleshy butt – is now considered criminal child abuse. I will admit it here: by that definition, my child was abused.)

Those who've campaigned to make honest spanking a criminal offense would be appalled to know that when my son was two or three, I used to put him on my motorcycle and take him for a ride. Such behavior today, while not "abuse," would certainly constitute criminal neglect or negligence in the eyes of the all the Mary Poppins regulators.

See, I had an old SL 350 Honda at the time and we lived in a rural subdivision with nicely groomed gravel roads that looped about and around a small lake. I'd put Scott on the seat in front of me and he'd hang onto the cross-brace of the handlebars. I'd then wrap a tarp strap around his belly and hook it into my belt loops.

Away we'd go, cruising along at five, 10 ... maybe even 15(!) miles per hour, putting along the gravel with its almost non-existent traffic. Heck, once in awhile for real thrills, we'd motor in first gear around the grass and trees of my five acres. Appalling indeed!

What would happen today if I were to take my then-eight-year-old son for a ride on the Interstate highway? That's what I did back in 1993. And, yes, he rode pillion, no tarp strap. We went 65 miles.

He didn't necessarily enjoy leaning it over in the turns, but a corndog at a C-store mid-way brought his attitude around quickly.

He rode behind me over the Beartooth Highway in about 1995 when he was 10. My brother and brother-in-law had their boys along, too.

Most of my friends who ride, and who have children, took their kids for rides when the kids were young. Most of those kids developed a love of the sport and ride themselves today. It's how we will perpetuate this thing.

To introduce your child to this sport we love – or to not introduce them to it – is a weighty decision and one of the most difficult I made as a parent. It can be gut wrenching to watch your 16-year-old negotiate technical turns on a steep mountain pass, either in front of you or in your mirrors. You'll know the most grave parental fears: "What have I done? What will I do if there's an accident? How could I live if..."

Powerful emotions...

Maybe even more powerful is the joy, the pride and the admiration, you feel when you watch that youth on a 100 horsepower sport bike handily strafing the turns on a racetrack.

I'm a hunter and hunting is one of those sports (or subsistence activities for some) that is under attack by those who believe they are superior to such "barbarism." Hunting groups have long understood that the only way to protect this ancient and pleasurable (and often gastronomically rewarding) activity is to make sure it is a true legacy, handed down through generations, surrounded by lore and respectful practices.

Hunters understand the sport's future is in the hands of the following generations, the youth. They have instituted many programs that endeavor to aid and encourage youth in becoming involved in the sport, learning to practice proper principles well, learning to love it, respect it and fight to protect it and its future.

As motorcyclists, let's take a page from the hunting enthusiast book. Let's endeavor to involve youth in riding, to teach them the principles, to respect it, fight for it.

It begins with taking your kid for a ride.

Do it before someone tells you that you can't.

This is an edited version of column I wrote for the June edition of Northern Rockies Rider. It isn't out yet, on the press Thursday. It advocates riding with your kids.

Headline: Let's do it before the nannies say we can't

As avid motorcycle riders, the last thing we want or need are the social nannies further intruding in our lives.

That's one of the nice things about living in Montana: most of us still cleave to the old-west notion that folks should mind their own business and, in return, I'll keep my nose out of theirs.

We gained tens of thousands of new residents from 1995 to 2008, most of them fleeing from the urban centers seeking "quality of life" and some measure of increased freedom.

Curiously, many of the newcomers then were flabbergasted to find Montana was not like LA and set about to change things, to "civilize" us, to make us conform to their notion of what is right and proper.

More regulation and restricted freedoms seemed to be their quest.

They saw no problem with more environmental laws shutting down logging and mining, more laws restricting development (which their moving here caused), more laws regulating how we engaged in transporting ourselves and families from here to there, more driving restrictions on youth, mandatory seatbelt use and on and on.

These "omnipotent moral busybodies," as author C.S. Lewis referred to them, tend to despise motorcycles. I think they resent the personal freedom we riders find, and I think they are disturbed that anyone is willing to take risks in the pursuit of fun and pleasure, since they deny themselves any such risk or enjoyment out of meekness and fear.

So far the safety and health zealots mostly have bigger fish to fry than to focus on motorcycles. My fear is they will win their battles ¬– tobacco, alcohol, transfats, carbon dioxide, firearms and much more – then will eventually get around to laying their crosshairs on us.

Surely they will wage national campaigns (they are doing so in some localities) for horsepower limits, restrictions on aftermarket accessories and customization, mandatory helmets, restrictions on where bikes can be ridden ¬– off pavement and on. They are comfortable regulating away any activity of which they disapprove.

I was thinking about all this while reminiscing about how much more freedom we enjoyed as youths growing up, for me from the late 1950s to the early 1970s.

And I was thinking about the freedom we had to make decisions regarding the rearing of our own children. (I understand spanking – open palm on fleshy butt – is now considered criminal child abuse. I will admit it here: by that definition, my child was abused.)

Those who've campaigned to make honest spanking a criminal offense would be appalled to know that when my son was two or three, I used to put him on my motorcycle and take him for a ride. Such behavior today, while not "abuse," would certainly constitute criminal neglect or negligence in the eyes of the all the Mary Poppins regulators.

See, I had an old SL 350 Honda at the time and we lived in a rural subdivision with nicely groomed gravel roads that looped about and around a small lake. I'd put Scott on the seat in front of me and he'd hang onto the cross-brace of the handlebars. I'd then wrap a tarp strap around his belly and hook it into my belt loops.

Away we'd go, cruising along at five, 10 ... maybe even 15(!) miles per hour, putting along the gravel with its almost non-existent traffic. Heck, once in awhile for real thrills, we'd motor in first gear around the grass and trees of my five acres. Appalling indeed!

What would happen today if I were to take my then-eight-year-old son for a ride on the Interstate highway? That's what I did back in 1993. And, yes, he rode pillion, no tarp strap. We went 65 miles.

He didn't necessarily enjoy leaning it over in the turns, but a corndog at a C-store mid-way brought his attitude around quickly.

He rode behind me over the Beartooth Highway in about 1995 when he was 10. My brother and brother-in-law had their boys along, too.

Most of my friends who ride, and who have children, took their kids for rides when the kids were young. Most of those kids developed a love of the sport and ride themselves today. It's how we will perpetuate this thing.

To introduce your child to this sport we love – or to not introduce them to it – is a weighty decision and one of the most difficult I made as a parent. It can be gut wrenching to watch your 16-year-old negotiate technical turns on a steep mountain pass, either in front of you or in your mirrors. You'll know the most grave parental fears: "What have I done? What will I do if there's an accident? How could I live if..."

Powerful emotions...

Maybe even more powerful is the joy, the pride and the admiration, you feel when you watch that youth on a 100 horsepower sport bike handily strafing the turns on a racetrack.

I'm a hunter and hunting is one of those sports (or subsistence activities for some) that is under attack by those who believe they are superior to such "barbarism." Hunting groups have long understood that the only way to protect this ancient and pleasurable (and often gastronomically rewarding) activity is to make sure it is a true legacy, handed down through generations, surrounded by lore and respectful practices.

Hunters understand the sport's future is in the hands of the following generations, the youth. They have instituted many programs that endeavor to aid and encourage youth in becoming involved in the sport, learning to practice proper principles well, learning to love it, respect it and fight to protect it and its future.

As motorcyclists, let's take a page from the hunting enthusiast book. Let's endeavor to involve youth in riding, to teach them the principles, to respect it, fight for it.

It begins with taking your kid for a ride.

Do it before someone tells you that you can't.

Excellent! You've summed up a lot of my thoughts about the way things are changing in this country over the last half of my life.

Wow! This has turned into one heck of a great thread!

First, thank you Viperspeed for your post, and also thank you for the info on the riding gear. I immediately went to the Cycle Gear Website and had my wife come look too. She was not happy and was even less pleased when the 8 year old in question came to see what the "Discussion" was about. Kids always know when the conversation concerns them. He thought that stuff looked cool. And "You mean I could go ride on the road with you Daddy?!" really made the conversation unpleasant.

Second, thank you Big Sky, we have those same people down here that are infesting your area. They move Away From The City. They do this to Enjoy The Country Life and they also want to Get Away From All Those Big City Problems. The first thing they do is to become politicians and activists so that they can make their new home as screwed up as the one they just left. The very people who made the country life so desirable are far too stupid to know what is good for them. My Dad bought me a Honda MR 50 when I was six. He bought us a Gold Wing just weeks before my 15th birthday. He rode it to work, I rode it to school. You could get your license and motorcycle endorsement at 15 then, and I did. Dad and I still ride together now, the bonds that form when hunting, fishing, shooting, and motorcycling are not meant to be broken. I am doing all I can with my son so that I will have a best friend for life, just like my father did.

Great thread Redfish! My daughter's first experience was unexpected but turned out great. She was 16 and thought she was afraid of riding. When I picked up my bike last year I took her with me when I picked out my helmet and gloves and she started browsing around... next thing you know she's got a 'cute' pair of gloves on and a 'cute' helmet and jacket picked out. So I buy her gear and think I've got a pillion lined up... not quite. She freezes up when it's time to go for her first ride and backs out. No problem, I'll try easing her into it. Well, I had to take the bike for tags out of state and she's got to ride with me to Texas - 550 miles 1 way! She says she's still worried but since I've got to go she'll ride. We leave our apartment and she's got a tight grip to start but she calms down about 15 minutes into it. I pull over about 30 minutes into the ride to check on her and she's got this huge smile on her face - this is freaking great! We were lucky in the weather being on our side, no rain for the entire trip (Kansas City to Dallas) She's got her iPod going and pointing out things as we go along. She got a tired about 400 miles into it but she hung in there and didn't complain. We spent the weekend and rode back on the Sunday with good weather again - she's hooked now. I can pull my helmet out and she's wanting to know if she can go with me. She's even talked about learning to ride, I think she'll be joining the community soon - of course not on an FJR to start!

Happy riding!

Latest posts