Day rides at WFO-6?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apratt

Reaction score
I saw the thread about the SS1K and BBG being planned for WFO, but what about day rides? I'd like to see some of Utah and still be at the hotel for dinner and socializing.

The WFO-6 site lists "Rides and vendor activities as planned," and I wonder if any of those plans are hatching. The one ride mentioned on the site (UT12 and UT14 through Bryce and Dixie) is a minimum 650 mile round trip from Park City - an ambitious day if you want to be home for dinner.

Any thoughts or advice from locals?

I saw the thread about the SS1K and BBG being planned for WFO, but what about day rides? I'd like to see some of Utah and still be at the hotel for dinner and socializing.
The WFO-6 site lists "Rides and vendor activities as planned," and I wonder if any of those plans are hatching. The one ride mentioned on the site (UT12 and UT14 through Bryce and Dixie) is a minimum 650 mile round trip from Park City - an ambitious day if you want to be home for dinner.

They are hatched, just not publicized yet. We have quite a few really superb rides planned that were mapped by a local rider that knows all the good places to go. They look really good and I just have to get the time to put them in a format that our Webmaster wants. I am planning on working on that over the next few weeks so hopfully they'll be up on the site soon (ish).

Orangevalefjr has been a very busy fellow...take a look at the vendors he has rounded up. IIRC, the ride plans are just about ready. I 'believe" they need to be modified into a different format so Warchild can post them on the WFO site.

However, Warchild is also very busy with the IBA rally.....

Remember the old saying, "If you want something done find a busy person and give it to them"? Well, the busy-ness of these fine volunteers is keeping everything from being posted. It will be done and the rides and scenery will be spectacular. There will be many options from long rides (500+ miles, all day) to shorter rides (250 miles)....patience, grashopper.

EDIT: Oops, you (O'vale) posted while I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one ride mentioned on the site (UT12 and UT14 through Bryce and Dixie) is a minimum 650 mile round trip from Park City - an ambitious day if you want to be home for dinner.
650 miles? If you're going to do that, what's another 350? Sign up for the SS1K and make it really worthwhile. There are still two other days of socializing and tire-kicking...

650 miles? If you're going to do that, what's another 350? Sign up for the SS1K...
No, that's the point: 650 miles is too long for a day ride. You miss dinner. And with the SS1K one day, you don't feel like doing much the next. (At least, I don't.) I'd rather do fun local daylight rides both Friday and Saturday and get plenty of food, drink, and rest.

I think I have this sussed: I'll take two days to ride home to the SF Bay Area. First day south and west through Bryce and Zion, stop in Cedar City or St. George. Second day, burn across Nevada, through Tonopah and Yosemite, and home. This puts the setting sun in my eyes as I'm leaving Yosemite (as usual!) but I'll just have to live with that.

Bryce Canyon is very nice. I'd be tempted to take a day trip through there even if it is a 650 mile ride. With nice weather and clear roads, 650 miles is not a big deal; however, bad weather or traffic will make a difference.

There are ways to get there faster than the Rumored route I made. It requirs come high speed slab time but it may well be worth it.

Of all the roads in Utah, If you want to go to th esouth and see "The Best" it is Highway 12 out of Torrey south (or start in Panguich and go north) I have been on that road and I WILL be on it again

There are ways to get there faster than the Rumored route I made. It requirs come high speed slab time but it may well be worth it.
Of all the roads in Utah, If you want to go to th esouth and see "The Best" it is Highway 12 out of Torrey south (or start in Panguich and go north) I have been on that road and I WILL be on it again
+1 !

I rode up from Phoenix a few weeks ago , stayed in Kanab (sat. night) & did 12 to 24 to 95 & back home from Blanding (Mon.) thru Monument Valley. Has to be in the top couple of rides in the U.S. for sure.

Plus one and then some on Utah 12!

I may end up in Torrey again for the overnighter to WFO.

Don't leave out the highway from Torrey to Green River. It goes through one of the greatest motorcycle riding National Parks that no one knows about.

I think I read somewhere that 12 was a top 10 in the nation. I have yet to ride torrey to green river.......... Hmmmm Gonna go see that I goess........... did it stop raining yet??

I'm pretty sure I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for Blanding & ride 95 to 24 to 12 to 89 again ( different direction this time). Can't say enough good about this area ! Just waiting for final weather report tomorrow before deciding which way to ride. :good:

Bryce Canyon is very nice. I'd be tempted to take a day trip through there even if it is a 650 mile ride. With nice weather and clear roads, 650 miles is not a big deal; however, bad weather or traffic will make a difference.
If you are going to Bryce I think you have to go through Zion National Park. My folks use to live there. Still one of my favorites in the USA

HOWDIT GO??

Doing the route the opposite direction was out, snow for Blanding the night we would arrive and no rooms in Kanab so we went to Page for the night, rode to Kanab & up to Hwy 12 -24 -95. Gets better every time you ride it ! We still had about 1 1/2 hrs riding in nice snow with ice frozen on windshield & 27 degrees but road was only wet, no ice at all! Crested the mountain at 9100 ft and started down and got back into the excellent riding & peeling layers off.

This Sat. evening heading for Co - WY and returning next Sat. probably.

Here are a few choices. These routes all feature lots of twisties, mountain scenery and high mountain lakes.

Mirror Lake Highway: Easy 180 mile ride. Several lakes, some water falls and a good chance of spotting some wildlife. Can even stop in Evanston, Wyoming and play the ponies.

mirrorlake.jpg

Bear Lake: This will require some time on the Interstate but the rest is mighty purty. Great fresh raspberry shakes at Garden City. About 310 miles round trip.

bearlake.jpg

Indian Canyon, Highway 31, Nebo Loop: Great scenery, lots of twisties and a look at some of Utah's coal mining industry. About 335 miles round trip.

31neboloop.jpg

Flaming Gorge: This will include the Mirror Lake route and take in some spectacular vistas around Flaming Gorge. Could even take in Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal if time allowed. About 430 miles.

flaminggorge-1.jpg

Just a few options for day rides. Southern Utah has all the beautiful red rock scenery. Highly recommend Zions, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Highway 12, Canyonlands, and Arches if you have the time.

They are hatched, just not publicized yet. We have quite a few really superb rides planned that were mapped by a local rider that knows all the good places to go. They look really good and I just have to get the time to put them in a format that our Webmaster wants. I am planning on working on that over the next few weeks so hopfully they'll be up on the site soon (ish).
How's that coming...?

Ovale's involved in riding route suggestions...? :unsure:

How's that coming...?
Ovale's involved in riding route suggestions...? :unsure:
:rofl:

He swings, he connects! It's going, going... It's gone!

Actually, it's should be up soon if the stars and moons align just right...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can these planned rides be converted to Garmin routes and posted? If not then I can try to duplicate them in Mapsource and post the route files.