dead hands, burning buns 06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisianaman

Reaction score
having troulbe overcoming ergonomic deficiencies for my 62 year old ass. have installed new Heli bars, triple clamp and riser. took long ride yesterday (250 MILE) and suffered with dead hands, burning butt and spasms in traps. if i can't find solution this baby's going on the block. love the bike, the power, etc. but if i can't be comfortable she's got to go.

having troulbe overcoming ergonomic deficiencies for my 62 year old ass. have installed new Heli bars, triple clamp and riser. took long ride yesterday (250 MILE) and suffered with dead hands, burning butt and spasms in traps. if i can't find solution this baby's going on the block. love the bike, the power, etc. but if i can't be comfortable she's got to go.
You are an old fart, got me by two years. First, 250 miles isn't that long of a ride and an FJR should keep you in relative comfort. Try an AirHawk for the seat. The good thing about one of those is you can change the air pressure to give your ass a whole new look every couple of hours. I actually used to switch off, a while with the Hawk and a while without. Now for the dead hands, I'm a bit over 6'2" and the bars fit me just right, but you aren't me. I use a BrakeAway cruise control so I can rest my right hand. What I believe a lot of long distance riders will tell you is that you have to work at not getting ass rot or other long distance affliction from the second you get on the bike. Move in the saddle, rest your hands even when they aren't tired, take an aspirin(or your pain killer of choice) before you start. Take breaks. Some times you have to work to have fun.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I know what you are talking about. Although I am still a new guy as well, I think there are things you can do to help out. Handlebar ends. There are several models out there, mostly made of stainless, that are 2 or 3 times heavier than stock. They do make a difference, but don't reduce the vibration totally. Beyond that, I have read as well, that after a number of miles, the vibe tends to get better. If I remember correctly it is somewhere around 4 or 5k. Maybe it is higher than that, so how many miles have you got on the bike? Just a guess on my part, a really good throttle body sync might help as well. As for the rest, the first thing I might do is a different set of pegs. There are highway pegs available out there, and that would get you the ability to change leg positions during a longer ride. I know I find myself, being nearly 6' tall, needing to move my legs to survive longer runs. I would do that first just because they are cheaper options. As for the butt, the leg position might help that as well and I would go with the cheaper option of changing pegs first, but if that doesn't help, I suppose a new seat would be in order. You have several options out there for those, they just usually are a little more expensive.

Tell us how many miles you got, maybe how tall you are and I am sure others will chime in. They are nice bikes and I think once about 10k miles are on them, settle in pretty nicely.

Take care,

Bryan

I bought the peg lowing kit and it made for a mor relaxed position. I ride hard through the twisties and they will scrape earlier than normal. I am selling if your interested. I bouught both the rider and passenger lowering kit. Passenger was never put on. Had the rider kit on for two weeks. One half price for both which is about $75 bucks if your interested.

Another tip is to install a set of "Grip Puppies". These are foam rubber grips that go over the stock grips. They are softer and of larger diameter which makes it easier on the hands. Also, alot of riders seem to grip the bars too tight and can cause the symptoms you describe in your hands. Search around this site and you will find many comments and fixes folks have done. Good luck and give you and the bike some time to know one another and welcome. PM. <>< B)

Two hundred and fifty miles? First thing you gotta do is break in that old ass of yours. Mine is a year older, so I know all about that. Two fifty is a good start though. You have to get the body accustomed to the bike. I had a bit of burn between the shoulder blades and sore wrists when I first started riding my FJR 4 years ago. If you don't ride 12 months a year, spring is a break in time for the old bod. Same thing every year for me.

Try some LDComfort (dot com) shorts (dry line) You will love them. A bit of sheepskin under your tush helps a lot. Goldbond or other monkeybutt powder is a must in the summer.

The grip puppies are a great help, as is some sort of throttle lock. I use the Throttlemiester (heavy).

Keep your back straight so you don't put too much pressure on the wrists. That will help your hands and your back.

I disconnected the main throttle spring and it made a huge difference for the right wrist/hand, as did the throttle lock. You can also use a palm rocker.

And the biggest help of all if you want to munch up a lot of miles per day is the fact that you can stand up on the pegs at just about any speed on this bike.

Hope that helps...

I have a couple of suggestions. First learn to relax. Most of the time you have muscle cramps and fatigue it is because you are too tense while riding. Try gripping the tank with your knees, particularly while braking or going down steep grades. That will keep your weight back with your leg muscles instead of your arms, wrists and hands. It will also keep your butt from sliding forward, forcing you push it back all the time, which will help with your butt. Relaxing the death grip on the bars will keep your hands from going to sleep.

The other thing that will help is take a couple ibuprophen tablets before you start riding. This will help with the joint pain.

Any bike with a different riding position is going to take some getting used to. You use different muscles depending on your riding position. For instance, I have a friend with Road King that he SWEARS is the most comfortable motorcycle he has ever ridden. I rode to Laughlin and back with him last year, about 550 miles each way, straight through and he never complained about anything. He and I traded bikes while out for a Sunday ride. (I have a 06) After 30 minutes I felt like I was on some Middle Ages torture devise. My back hurt from having to force myself up into the riding position, my arms ached from holding onto the bars, my butt hurt from having all my weight on my tail bone, and my legs hurt from holding them up on the forward mounted controls. It was pure misery. Having said that, I have no doubt that if were to ride that bike everyday for a month or two my muscles would be accustomed to the riding position and I would probably get a comfortable as my friend is on it.

WATCH THE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother is an MD. I am 64 and had a zx1100 until I was 58. I rode 1200 miles with my son in two days.(when I was 58) It took 2 days before I could use my hands.

We came back in one day (with several stops) 1200 miles in 24 hrs.

I could not grip my pants zipper enough to pull it up for a week!

My brother said leaning on my wrist so long did damage (DAMAGE) to the nerves . It's not capel tunnel!

He said for me to sell the bike as if I kept riding it, some day my hands would NEVER<EVER! come back. They would be

NUMB FOREVER! (CAN YOU SAY--PERMINENT NERVE DAMAGE!!!?)

I sold the zx the next week and got an st1100 with Heil bars. I have never had a problem since and I ride long days all the time.

I would say, don't sell the FJR as your wrist problem can be solved with a more upright riding position. Better Bars, seat, etc.

The ZX just had a too radical riding position for old guys.

Get a good criuse control. I use a friction throttle lock. Then give you throttle hand a break every 15 minutes or so. Just for a minute of so. That really helps. So with heil bars, a good seat, back rest and throttle lock, you can ride 600 miles a day. with no problem. (with a wife or GF on board, 300 miles).

I'm going to get an FJR and I know with Heil bars and Cobin seat, I'll be able to ride and still use my Zipper. (but at my age, only for taking a leak!)
Flippie20_Piss.gif

Just kidding. I'm old
olderrr.gif

, not dead!
burr.gif

laughing3.gif

CK

Last edited by a moderator:
Another suggestion . . . get a good quality kidney belt / back brace, the kind you can get from a decent drugstore or medical supply place. Mine has a pad in the back, is made of stretchy stuff and velcros closed. You'll appreciate the overall sense of support this will create which will help.

I think you have a few problems that can solved realativly easly,here are my suggestion in no particular order

1. gripp puppies

2. Audio vox cruise control

3. heaver bar weights

4 . kindney belt

5. better seat

6 .sheepskin on seat

7. Stand up ,move about every 1/2 hour

8 . get off bike and move around a bit before fatigue sets in

9. relax when riding distance,do not grip so hard on the bars

10. stretching before riding and at breaks.

11. get a good massage of the body and arms in particular,once a week for a few weeks

12. fittness ,go walking for at least 1/2 hour 3 times a week,the fitter you are the easier it is

13.Fluid intake ,avoid soft drinks ,drink filtered cool water before and during the ride

14. mental attitude ,If you are not in the right state of mind do not ride !

15.Avoid alcohol before and durring a ride,

What helped me (in order of importance)

1. Release center throttle return spring

2. Don't grasp grip tightly

3. Ride with right wrist slightly raised (5-10 degrees)

4. Install Throttle Rocker to help keep right wrist raised https://www.throttlerocker.com/

Throttle spring release was the 1st I did & it helped lots. 2nd gen Heli inserts (for '04 FJRs) didn't help any but I was too lazy to remove them & send them back. Tacky Turing grips helped some & with a Throttle Rocker I could manage the tingleing to a degree, but it would still come back from time to time. After 2 years of playing with it, I found that when I rode with my right wrist slightly raised, there was no tingleing or pain. Every now & then my right hand would tingle & I would notice that my wrist position had reverted to a slightly down position (which is my natural grip position as it is slightly more comfortable.) I installed the Throttle Rocker to help keep right wrist raised & that completely fixed the problem. I then replaced the touring grips with my original grips, along with the Throttle Rocker & I can ride a tankfull easily. I try to keep my back as streight as possiable & I stand up every 45 min to get the blood flowing in my 69 year old butt. The stock seat works for me, but not for everyone. Good Luck. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

What helped me (in order of importance)1. Release center throttle return spring

4. Install Throttle Rocker to help keep right wrist raised https://www.throttlerocker.com/

+1

Throttle rocker will help ALOT!

Also balancing T-bodies helps reduce buzzing.

Russell day-long for the seat.

What helped me (in order of importance)1. Release center throttle return spring

+1,

Also, support your upper body by gripping the tank a little tighter with your legs. I find myself leaning forward and putting

my weight on the handlebars sometimes and that will cause some numbness in my hands.

Can't help you with the burning ass problem....maybe some kind of cream would help.

On a 4000 mile trip to TX/FL/AR, I was fighting numbness in the hands on the first leg to FL. I'll give credit to Glen ("One More Bike") in FL who told me about the Throttle Rocker. For $10-$15, it totally solved the problem. The death grip was no longer needed. Cheapest cruise control on the market. BUT, you have to be careful where you locate it. Found that the further out you install it on the throttle, the better. If it's in the center, it gets in the way where you have a tendency to push down the throttle by mistake when you're least expecting it. On the AE, w/ no clutch, that's pretty important. It fit perfectly on the grip puppies and has a velcro tension strap. In time, it will work it's way down some but only takes a little push w/ the thumb to adjust it back up for the correct throttle for highway cruising. They also make one for the left side but really haven't needed it.

Found that sitting further back on the seat gave more distance/comfort down the highway. I sincerely believe that w/ any seat, riding time extends your endurance just like a cyclist training for distances.

git-r-dan :beach:

10. stretching before riding and at breaks.

There are a lot of good suggestions, and no this won't help with the hand bar vibration, but as for your lower back and shoulders, this is really important.

Being the manly, motorcycling, men that we are, few of us streatch well before a ride.

A good 10 minutes of stretching, particularly your lower back, legs, and shoulders will make a huge difference before a long ride.

I think most of wait until the fatigue is already setting in, then we stretch.

I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Had the exact same problems and simple changes made it into a different bike.

For the hands all the way to the center of your back, lift the tank and pop the center throttle return spring off it's tang to lighten the return force. I also try to vary how I hold the throttle and bar (normal, finder tips only, etc). Huge change. I have a throttle rocker that also helps and I like the grip puppies but haven't yet bought them.

For the ass and up, an Airhawk (or similar) seat spreads the load and is great. But what changed this bike for me was adopting a stretching routine every half-hour or when I get bored. I stand on the pegs with one foot then the other, sit and shake out each leg, then the elbows, shoulders, and some good head rolls in each direction. About this point, the cars behind me have usually backed waaay off. I also went to a really big windshield for commuting that I don't use for touring. For the hour commute it's great, but the forwrd pressure in the center of my back is too much after about 4-5 hours.

Bob

Im 33 years old and I dont care for the stock seat. I feel like Im sitting on a 2 x 6. :blink:

Yesterday, I ordered a Corbin Front Saddle seat. When I get some seat time with it, Ill do a write up on it.

https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr1306.shtml

The guy I talked to at the Florida showroom said these are selling quite well. I bought the only non-heated version he has in stock.

But what changed this bike for me was adopting a stretching routine every half-hour or when I get bored. I stand on the pegs with one foot then the other, sit and shake out each leg, then the elbows, shoulders, and some good head rolls in each direction. About this point, the cars behind me have usually backed waaay off. Bob
Bob,

It's not every day that fellow commuters get to see someone on a crotch rocket doing the Hokie-Pokie, but then isn't "that's what it's all about?" :yahoo:

I do much the same thing. Sitting on the back seat and dangling my legs or sitting to one side and dangling a leg. I do stand up at all speeds (under triple digits) and get a lot of strange looks.

Bob