Dec Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change it to the 9th and I'll do the extra 600 miles to reach your riding area.

But I can guarantee that POS Messler spare will come off the front first!

They’re talking cold around here on the 2nd. I’ve been kinda following this thread. Looks like an interesting ride.

Jeff, are you gonna stay overnight in the local area if you make the trip?

As suspected, I can't make the 2nd, but the 9th might work out good. Weather is sort of unpredictable at this time of year but could be nice. Just have to watch it. If ya'll come this weekend, enjoy. Watch 129 - locals report some diesel spillage. Not ruined but maybe some slick spots. Just watch for it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I've got a 50/50 chance to go....

If I can go, I'll just have to head to Pensacola from there to catch up with the wifey...looong haul. :dribble:

They’re talking cold around here on the 2nd. I’ve been kinda following this thread. Looks like an interesting ride. Jeff, are you gonna stay overnight in the local area if you make the trip?
If I can make the trip it will be the 9th. I'll probably stay at our cabin (about 12 miles north of Hiawassee GA).

Probably should study this thread carefully to determine exactly where you guys are planning to ride. The haul back home will be nine hours for me from the cabin.

Okay, just studied the map. Blood Mtn. is only 32 miles south of the cabin. I would have to take Friday off work to make the trip across NC, ride with you guys on Sat., then haul it home on Sunday. My ass will be sore but if the weather forecast looks good by the prior Wed., I can make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, just studied the map. Blood Mtn. is only 32 miles south of the cabin. I would have to take Friday off work to make the trip across NC, ride with you guys on Sat., then haul it home on Sunday. My ass will be sore but if the weather forecast looks good by the prior Wed., I can make it happen.
If not, FedEx us the keys to the cabin. There's beer in the fridge, right?

Here is a map of the area you guys are talking about, we ran this last weekend going from Turner's Corner (where the red 7 is) which is an old gas station converted into a small restaurant (with a great cheesteak sandwich) anyway... we ran up 19 from Turner's corner to Blairsville, over to Blueridge for some fried apple pies and then down 60 through Suches. Lots of curves...

2ndlegofBloodMountain.gif

Here's the route I'm most familiar with. Cabin is Point-1, just across the NC line.

How do you guys post pics? I am currently:

1. Plotting the map in MS Streets,

2. Printing to Acrobat as PDF,

3. Saving as JPEG from Acrobat,

4. Logging in to PhotoBucket and uploading the JPEG,

5. Adding the URL to my post.

Gawd this seems like such a hassle. Is there a shorter way?

NorthGArun.jpg

Neither map includes the best part of 180 (also known as Wolf Pen Gap Road) which is a very tight rollercoaster of a road with lots of positive camber turns. Its a little dangerous as there are nasty drops with no rails but its a fun ride. Warning - the speed limit is posted at 25MPH! in places on it, maybe 35 in some and it does get patrolled. Just do some recon first and keep it down at both ends - southwest end is kind of populated and the northeast end is next to a state park. At the southwest end, 180 deadends into GA 60. Turn right (northwest) on 60 for great run up to Blue Ridge, GA. The best run in the state for many but can be a little thick with bikes on weekends in the summer. Not much now though as the wannabes can't stand the low temps in their tank tops and flip flops.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that my map was "the ride". Meant to point out where I am familiar with and would typically travel.

So... weather forecast looks GOOD! It's gonna be COLD.

I have to take a vacation day, make arrangements for the kids etc. if we are going to indeed do this run on Saturday Dec. 9th. Please let me know who is going to make it and let's get things nailed down.

Else, I'll be relegated to doing Christmas shopping and riding flat roads.

:( :angry: :(

I have some questions:

1. Is there a planned/suggested route?

2. Is there a central place to meet?

3. Anyone leading this?

4. Recommended places to eat?

The weather looks sunny and 50's so that's not a problem.

I have some questions:
1. Is there a planned/suggested route?

2. Is there a central place to meet?

3. Anyone leading this?

4. Recommended places to eat?

The weather looks sunny and 50's so that's not a problem.
I'll work up a suggested route with meeting place etc. and post it tonight.

I think Jwilly was gonna lead us as he is the local boy.

I have figured I will have to leave the house at 5:30 to make a 10 am meet its gonna be chilly befor the sun comes up. What a way to break in new tires!

I have a Mad-Maps of the area. I put it in the garmin Last night. it was a 122 mile round trip

Here's a proposed ride for Saturday:

NorthGADec9Ride.jpg

1 - Two Wheel Motorcycle Resort, near Suches GA.

2 - Waffle House, Blue Ridge GA.

3 - Return down 60.

4,5 - Run 180 from southwest end to northeast end.

6 - Take 17 south to Helen GA.

7 - Take Alt75 to 129.

8 - Run 129 north to Blood Mtn.

9 - Loop around on 180 and head south on 348.

10 - McDonalds in Cleveland GA.

Maps at 155 miles. We could all meet at Point-1 around 10:00, have time for coffee in Blue Ridge, lunch in Helen or late lunch in Cleveland at the end around 15:00.

Just my suggestion for a starter. Flame away!!!

Where the hell is jwilly? Did he get grounded or what?

Fence-man, just keep me posted on meet-up time and place. I'm ready.

madmap.gif

Yes its mapquest, I cant figure out how to post mapsource (yet)

This is the Madmaps suggested route, 122 miles

Look at the road from Cartey to Blue Rigde (5) looks twisty on the map

Last edited by a moderator:
Are most of you riders gonna round-trip it back home on the same day? Or will there be a few “motelers” in the group. Anyone with the scoop on the local motels? :unknw:

Are most of you riders gonna round-trip it back home on the same day? Or will there be a few “motelers” in the group. Anyone with the scoop on the local motels? :unknw:
I guess that depends on how quick the temp drops and how long we make this route. I am looking at 3 1/2 hours just to get to Dahlonega + ride + return a hotel may not be out of the ?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me about how long/far it is to get from north side of Atlanta to Suches? I'd like to make this ride, but I'm about 4-5 hrs from Atlanta (Beaufort, SC, just north of Savannah, GA). I just got my FJR in October, and really want to get up the mountains on it. I hope you guys would mind another rider along if I can make it.

extrememarine

Here's a proposed ride for Saturday:
1 - Two Wheel Motorcycle Resort, near Suches GA.

2 - Waffle House, Blue Ridge GA.

3 - Return down 60.

4,5 - Run 180 from southwest end to northeast end.

6 - Take 17 south to Helen GA.

7 - Take Alt75 to 129.

8 - Run 129 north to Blood Mtn.

9 - Loop around on 180 and head south on 348.

10 - McDonalds in Cleveland GA.

Maps at 155 miles. We could all meet at Point-1 around 10:00, have time for coffee in Blue Ridge, lunch in Helen or late lunch in Cleveland at the end around 15:00.

Just my suggestion for a starter. Flame away!!!

Fencer

It’s about the same amount of time for me too. Sure would like to be able to make it down that way and tag along with you riders.

Weather-woman up here is calling for light clouds and a high in the low 50’s locally for Sat. Who knows, maybe the conditions will be favorable.