Dec Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but can't do it this weekend. My girls go to their Mom's for the next week. So I really need to finish up Christmas preps with them this weekend.

Besides, where's the fun if Fencer's shield doesn't frost over, Marine's rear tire is not worn out, Scab's not being divorced by another Mich PR, JWilly has all afternoon to ride, and me wandering around like a blundering idiot asking "where did everybody go?".

:D

Hi Scab. If we’re treading on thin ice here let me know.

Would ya consider sumpin like “the frozen few” or “blizzard bravers” or how about maybe even “the cool dudes:D ? Oh yeah, that last one is definitely catchy, huh? :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't make the trip again unless it's 30 degrees or colder...

Here was the best part of the trip for me (barring the slab induced squared off rear PR),

- Departed house @ 0405, 20 miles on trip meter since last filling tank.

- 160miles, fuel guage showing 2 bars - I says to self, "self, you need to find a gas station" & "this thing gets crappy gas mileage running at 100..."

- take next exit, both gas stations closed, self:"gee whiz, bummer."

- run to next exit, distance unknown because, a.) GPS shut off 2 miles from house because it was too cold out, and b.) it's not light enough yet to read map. Reserve bar flashing, cut speed to 65-70mph.

- Next exit; both gas stations closed still, self says, "oh no, this sucks", stop to dig map out of tank bag; glasses and face shield fog, then frost over; self, "it's freakin' cold out."

- Run to next exit, calculating fuel mileage in my head because '04 model does not have the handy-dandy fuel mileage trip computer gadget. (reserve light appears to be flashing morsecode "get gas now, idiot", all gas stations still closed, it's almost 0600, Stop, read map again, (self mumbling,"lot good that POS GPS is doing me now." 11 miles to next exit, I'm rolling down the on ramp when I realize that I may not make it, and "where did I put my cell phone this morning?"

- The next 11 miles crawl by at 60mph, BHG (brain housing group) continously recalculating fuel mileage, coming up 2 miles short, self says,"oh $&*%, it's gonna suck pushing this SOB along I-16 at 0600 in the morning because I realize that my cell phone is still on the table (at the house), self,"you're a dumba$$).

- Make next exit, gas station open :yahoo: FYI, the 2004 FJR fuel tank capacity=6.6 u.s. gals, I put 6.519 gals in to fill it up. self, "this trip can't get any worse"

- Lesson for self, "fuel gauge @ 1/2 means that the tank is 1/2 EMPTY", strange phobia developes causing me to stop and get gas at every gas station I see on the way home...

going to do a forum search for aux fuel tanks now...

wr

Hi Scab. If we’re treading on thin ice here let me know. Would ya consider sumpin like “the frozen few” or “blizzard bravers” or how about maybe even “the cool dudes:D ? Oh yeah, that last one is definitely catchy, huh? :yes:
We ain't treading on thin ice. I broke all the thin ice with my ass when I landed. You can call me anything as long as you call me when it's time to eat. :D

A good read. Very entertaining. I’ll have to read it a second time. Particularly the part about the fogging glasses and shield.
My shield didn't fog, it iced over. After I pulled off for the 5th time to scrape the INSIDE of the visor, And it Icing back over in a matter of minutes (don't cough in your helmtt when its that cold out) I finally decided to run with a peephole on one eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if the any of “the cool dudes” ventured forth this past weekend? Thought about ya.

Sure was nice here in middle TN. :yes: Saturday, Terry G., Valueman, and myself blazed a few trails. We met in Woodbury. Headed north on 53 then east. Looped part of Center Hill Lake (N on 96 then E on 141 to 56 ). Vman had obligations at home so he cut his ride short for the day.

Vman’s thinking to himself, “hmmm...what’s ole shokdimn got in this thing”?

6228Brkpix2.JPG

..............Vman............................. Terry G.

Terry G. and I continued SE mostly on back-roads to intersect 30.

Couldn’t resist cruising a local campus entrance.

6228localcmps.JPG

Terry G. says, "hey shokdimn, where’s all the college sweeties you promised"?

Then, on to Fall Creek Falls. From there we headed home.

shokdimn :bike:

The coastal division of the Frozen Few, stayed close to home this weekend. Rode as much as possible but had many children to tote around Christmas shopping, taking in a movie, going to church etc.

I get every other weekend off (of being Mr. Mom) so my riding weekends tend to alternate.

Looks like you guys had a great time. Too bad it wasnt' freakin freezing cold so that you could make up for the fun you missed out on already!

:)