Defective Top Case Mount - New SKU?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been searching for the replacement plate + aluminum plate for the OEM top case on my 2005 FJR, and for the first time today I came across a note that the product has been replaced with the following part #:

5JW-W0720-21-00It's no longer a reinforced plate kit, but rather a reinforced plate. Has anyone had any experience with this and can speak to it?

If you have a first Gen I FJR that is the kit that was applied to the Top box to keep it from bouncing off. It was applied to the top box to prevent it from flexing & is an available recall if it was not already completed. Gen II & Gen III models had it corrected in manufacturing.

Here is the last version 5JW-W0720-21-00.The only difference with the previous version is that the last version has three metal collars in the three holes for the bolts.Probably for better tightening and for the reinforcement of the plastic.

Also if your top case hasn't the reinforcement metal plate,you must install it.There is a recall for that.

If the recall has ended here it is:If you buy this kit ''5VS-PLATE-KT-00'' In the box you will find and the plastic mounting plate,but the plastic mounting plate is for the 06-15 model.The ''5JW-PLATE-KT-00'' for the 03-05 is not available any more.So,you can use only the metal plate for your top case and you must buy and the ''5JW-W0720-21-00'' last version mounting bracket for the 03-05.Hope that these info can help you...

https://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-5VS-PLATE-KT-00.html

P1020124_zps336c7dd2.jpg

P1020125_zpsde653406.jpg

P1020126_zpsb4b54d41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Borrowed pictures to save a lot of words. If you are looking for the aluminum plate that mounts to the bottom of the trunk send me a message. (Noting that we are on opposite sides of a very important country line which may be an obstacle we can't practically over come.)

boxunderside_zps72e9a4f8.jpg

latch_zps8ba7c184.jpg

Ok. I'll bite. Did that ^^ come off at speed and stay upright?

^^^ Not a clue, I did say that it's a borrowed picture.

Now, when my top case came off (pillion unlatched the case in the garage but didn't take it off and I rode off to work the next morning....) at 30 mph it mostly landed on the latch end and then in one lucky bounce bounded into someones grassy front yard. Nothing that a quick trip to Garauld's couldn't fix.

Borrowed pictures to save a lot of words. If you are looking for the aluminum plate that mounts to the bottom of the trunk send me a message. (Noting that we are on opposite sides of a very important country line which may be an obstacle we can't practically over come.)
Well, unfortunately the plastic plate that mounts to the bike actually has stress fractures in the corners of where the case slips in. It would only be a short matter of time if I continued to ride with the top case before it blew apart and hit the pavement. So needing everything from scratch and want to do it right. I have contacted four or five places now and no one has the original bracket, nor this add-on metal plate.

Found ONE Amazon listing with the following description: Yamaha 5VS-W0720-00-00 Reinforcement Plate Kit '06 +; New # 5JW-W0720-21-00 Made by Yamaha

Sending to sister-in-law in TN and she's going to FedEx up to Alberta. Fingers crossed!!

What he means''Yamaha 5VS-W0720-00-00 Reinforcement Plate Kit '06 +; New # 5JW-W0720-21-00''These are two different parts..You could send an email to him and ask about..Also,here you can buy the new 5JW-W0720-21-00 plastic mounting bracket.The 5VS-W0720-00-00 plastic mounting bracket is the older version without the three metal colars,is for the 06-15 model and it doesn't fit in a 03-05 model.So,if you buy the 5VS Reinforcement Plate Kit,you can use only the metal plate from the box and sell the mounting bracket.Or send a message to ''ionbeam''probably he has one..The metal plates are same for all top cases 03-15.So in this way you must buy and the 5JW-W0720-21-00 from an other place as the following links..

https://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/outboard/Y-5JW-W0720-21-00.html

https://www.partspak.com/productcart/pc/Yamaha-5JW-W0720-21-00-Attachment-Bracket-03-To-05-5JWW07202100-p514624.htm

https://www.yocracing.com/accessory_store/store/yoc_viewitem.asp?idproduct=611107