DFW area group

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasFJR

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for those of us in the metroplex that have expressed an interest in getting together so we can collect information that might help organize some rides. Maybe once we know where everyone lives we can figure out some central places to meet.

Name: Marcos

City: Bedford

Bike Status: '06 Waiter, 97 YZF 600R

Ride Availability: Friday and Saturday

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in after delivery!

Name: Michelle

City: Ft Worth (Southside)

Bike Status: '06 Waiter

Ride Availability: evenings, Saturdays and Sundays are open

Sachse,Tx (Garland Area)

05 Dragonslayer ready to strike evenings and weekends or any other time if I get enough notice!

Mark

Gary

I live in Mesquite. Weekends are normally open.

04 FJR

And John................. I'm jealous of anyone retired.

Jim

Springtown, just west of Ft. Worth.

Most weekends.

John, I want to be retired when I grow up.

Given the size and density of the metroplex, meeting places will probably be on the edges rather than central. I avoid riding into the city and the heavy traffic for pretty good reasons.

Looking forward to more group rides and sharing the passion for the FJR.

You guys in the east, are there any good rides within a days ride to the east? I have been exploring areas west and have some favorites, but then I was already familiar with this part of the state. Many years ago I rode a Honda 350 to Tyler and the surrounding area. That was a pretty good weekend. Camped in the state park there. Course it was 30+ years ago . . . .

Just wondering if there are roads to the east to match the stuff to the west.

I would also be interested in a overnigher to eastern OK. McAlester, Wilberton and parts east of there maybe. I hear that there are some pretty good rides around the Ouachita National Forest. I'm gradually getting gear together to camp off of the bike.

Bounce

Ft. Worth area

Most weekends are available with enough notice

As for riding places east of Dallas that are within a day's ride... that would mean anything from about Georgia westward. Right?

A really good day ride is the Mina, AR/Talahina, OK area. You can get up there, get in some good riding, and get home in a day or do an overnighter.

Eastern Ok or Ar. sounds like a good day trip or even better overnight camping trip.

I haven't tried to set up for camping off the bike but it sures sound like fun.

Mark

Hey Mr. Bounce, any suggestions of some roads perhaps in the NW quadrant of the Metroplex? My wife started riding this last October and since I finally picked up a second bike this last weekend, I want to go out with her to slowly start building her road skills. We live in Bedford so pretty much anything on the Tarrant County side would work for us, but I'm looking for roads that though interesting aren't too technical for a novice rider. With babysitting to arrange, we'd likely start out fairly early on a Sat morning and try to be done early afternoon.

Hey Bounce, do ya think TejasFJR and wife might be looking for the original weird Texas ride? :rolleyes:

Maybe too long though. Not exactly in the metroplex. Maybe Ray Roberts lake would be better. :D

Or, just a afternoon ride here in Parker Co. For that, I'm your guy. Lots of back roads that are lightly traveled and occasionally slightly scenic.

Greg

Far Far south Dallas :) (Actually about 200 miles south)

But, I've got a lot of family in the DFW area.

thursdays, fridays and every other saturday work well for me.

Hey Bounce, do ya think TejasFJR and wife might be looking for the original weird Texas ride? :rolleyes:
Maybe too long though. Not exactly in the metroplex. Maybe Ray Roberts lake would be better. :D

Or, just a afternoon ride here in Parker Co. For that, I'm your guy. Lots of back roads that are lightly traveled and occasionally slightly scenic.
Jim has a nice loop ride he's routed out. Under 250 miles and it looks like it'd make a great day's ride. It heads in a loop from nw 820 and goes n and then w, s, e, and n again. Some of the NW areas being asked about.

Up by Muenster are some good roads, german food, and (if you can find them) the historical site that has the acres and acres of cement blocks (and occasional chimney) that are all that remains of the ww2 internment camps.

This coming weekend is out for me, but I'm thinking that maybe Friday the 27th would be a good day for us. We drop the kids at school at 7:45 and then have basically till about 2:30 to get home. So if you have any ride suggestions, please feel free to either post them here or PM them to me.

Jim, the "original weird Texas ride" definately sounds worth considering or at least talking about over a cup of java.

Maybe you'd also have some suggestions for some routes up to the Sherman area. I used to work there years and years ago and I seem to remember having found all sorts of different ways of working my way towards Ft. Worth. Of course this way back before all the development started out there.

Greg
Far Far south Dallas :) (Actually about 200 miles south)

Man, I agree with that. 200 miles south of here in the hill country are some of the greatest scenic and twisty roads in Texas. It's a little bit far for a day trip, but it could be done if departure was early enough. I go down there about 3 or 4 times a year now.

GP

Hey Bounce, do ya think TejasFJR and wife might be looking for the original weird Texas ride?  :rolleyes: ..........
Jim, the "original weird Texas ride" definately sounds worth considering or at least talking about over a cup of java.

Maybe you'd also have some suggestions for some routes up to the Sherman area. I used to work there years and years ago and I seem to remember having found all sorts of different ways of working my way towards Ft. Worth. Of course this way back before all the development started out there.
The "original weird Texas" ride is something of an inside joke from lunch last weekend, but it is based on reality. The beginnings of it involve some odd art that Bounce and I have both photographed on a ranch between St. Jo and Forestburg. Clicky

Bounce has seen the remains of an abandoned interment camp from WWII not too far from there in the Muenster area. These form the beginning of the "Weird Texas" ride and we are looking for other strange things to add.

In any case, a ride in that area would be worth while and not too far afield.

As for Sherman; interestingly enough, my oldest daugher and her husband live in Denison. My son-in-law rides and is familiar with that area as he is from Durant OK and has worked at Texoma Medical Center in Denison for some time. He showed me the one lane bridge across the Red River on a recent ride and is willing to show me around. Problem there is, that young man is a work-a-holic. Not complaining, he takes damn good care of my daughter and two granddaughters. If you like, I will see what he has on the burner for the next month or so and see what we can come up with in that area. Though to be honest, any trip to Denison for me MUST involve seeing the grandbabies.

Options abound and looks like more than one ride here ( a good thing )

Most of the roads you might have used from Sherman to Cowtown are likely either very urban or taken up by Ray Roberts, which is not too bad a thing. I do know that 377 between Denton and Whitesboro is to be avoided in the evenings due to traffic. I have found the rest of the area around Ray Roberts to be pretty good though.

Lets keep tossing this around and see what we come up with.

Or we can get together for that cup o joe sometime this weekend.

Bounce - Thoughts on this?

Greg
Far Far south Dallas :)  (Actually about 200 miles south)

Man, I agree with that. 200 miles south of here in the hill country are some of the greatest scenic and twisty roads in Texas. It's a little bit far for a day trip, but it could be done if departure was early enough. I go down there about 3 or 4 times a year now.

GP
GP, assuming you might be interested in company and maybe showing others the ropes in the hill country I have an interest in that area. Been studying maps and considering every thing from a possible day ride (afer the days get a little longer) to maybe a long weekend in the Leaky/Kerrville vicinity.

Again, assuming you are interested, let us hear when you feel the urge to head that way. Maybe a group thing could evolve from it.