Diablo Lake Overview

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
It is open and snow free with awesome views of snow capped stuff. Took 5 N. to Stanwood exit, East to 9, N. to Sedro Wooly and the Iron Skillet breakfast (steak and eggs G.). Rode the S. side Skagit river road from Sedro to Concrete and it was very nice, quite a surprise, but no foliage on the trees yet and lots of sunshine and dry road surface with very few sandy spots but there are a few. 20 was good from concrete to Newhalem and on to gorge lake. Other side of Gorge lake climbing to the overlook was a sandy, dusty mess, use care to not carry to much speed into this stuff. Where ever 20 is closed going East it is past the overview and that is all that matters this time of year. Gotta say it, it was so quiet listening to the breeze in the trees at the overlook, no one else was present at the time and NO Harley pipes. Snack store was open in Newhalen, Marblemount looked pretty closed up,the gas stations were open with am/pm sort of stuff. 20 back to Rockport, 530 S. to Arlington, all good. 258miles, 44.1 mpg. Yahoo.

Thanks for the trip report, James. I live in Wenatchee, so I won't be seeing that side of the mountains on my FJR for a while. I am looking forward to taking my wife on the loop this year.

It is open and snow free with awesome views of snow capped stuff. Took 5 N. to Stanwood exit, East to 9, N. to Sedro Wooly and the Iron Skillet breakfast (steak and eggs G.). Rode the S. side Skagit river road from Sedro to Concrete and it was very nice, quite a surprise, but no foliage on the trees yet and lots of sunshine and dry road surface with very few sandy spots but there are a few. 20 was good from concrete to Newhalem and on to gorge lake. Other side of Gorge lake climbing to the overlook was a sandy, dusty mess, use care to not carry to much speed into this stuff. Where ever 20 is closed going East it is past the overview and that is all that matters this time of year. Gotta say it, it was so quiet listening to the breeze in the trees at the overlook, no one else was present at the time and NO Harley pipes. Snack store was open in Newhalen, Marblemount looked pretty closed up,the gas stations were open with am/pm sort of stuff. 20 back to Rockport, 530 S. to Arlington, all good. 258miles, 44.1 mpg. Yahoo.
You old retired dog you!

Always a good ride!
bike.gif

--G

Thanks for the trip report, James. I live in Wenatchee, so I won't be seeing that side of the mountains on my FJR for a while. I am looking forward to taking my wife on the loop this year.
I'm looking at your sig line. Ummm, Wenatchee is not in the Puget Sound. JSNS. If looking for someone to ride with, pm me.

I'm looking at your sig line. Ummm, Wenatchee is not in the Puget Sound. JSNS. If looking for someone to ride with, pm me.
Peep ElliotM maybe a futurist. In a few million years Wenachee may have salt water beach front. Who knows?
smile.png

Peep ElliotM maybe a futurist. In a few million years Wenachee may have salt water beach front. Who knows?
smile.png
When the fault shears, and the volcanoes level everything over there it'll improve my view. :)

Where ever 20 is closed going East it is past the overview and that is all that matters this time of year.
The west winter gate is at milepost 134, about 14 miles east of Newhalem. Every spring, Tootsie Clark, the matriarch of Clark’s Skagit River Resort (near Marblemount), drives her Cadillac up to the west-side closure gate near Diablo, opens the trunk and serves cinnamon (Tootsie!) rolls and coffee to those waiting in line for the gate to open. It’s a tradition she has been carrying on since the 1970s. I've never ridden up there on opening day, but it sounds like it might be a fun thing to do some day. Not sure the road would be in too good shape opening day. Probably still a lot of sand and such to watch out for. Tootsie's place is a great place to stop for breakfast!

My wife and I totaled a '91 ST1100 on the North Cascades Highway in 2004. Some guy dumped transmission fluid in the road just below Washington pass.

https://koczarski.com/Motorcycles/Trips/20040619%20Trip%20and%20Crash/trip20040619.htm#Crash

NorthCascadesHwyWestGate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: