Did you buy your FJR with cash?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paid for it with a credit card, got 2% cash back!
My dealer wouldn't let me use a credit card. I paid w/ a certified check.
That's because they have to pay their credit card processing company 3% of the total.

If you want to use an interest-free card, ask your issuer for a blank check off the account.

If you cannot pay it off before the interest kicks in, go to your Credit Union and get an installment loan for the balance. You'll pay less interest on an installment as opposed to a revolving, plus your credit score will take less of a hit because almost 40% of your score depends on the ratio of the total revolving limits to the total revolving balances.

After getting the best possible deal, I gave the dealer my credit card and he was surprised when it went right through with no questions asked. Frankly I was a little surprised too that the credit card company didn't ask for any information about the purchase. I am going to keep a closer watch on my cards! What's 2% of $14,000.00?

I worked a pretty good deal then paid cash (cashier's check). I kept my other bikes, no trade-in, no private sales. Then I discovered that after purchasing the FJR none of the other bikes were being ridden :) so I sold the stable.

Paid cash...always pay cash for motorcycles and cars alike. Then we make "payments" to ourselves that go into an investment so that in a few years when the old car/motorcycle gives up, we just pay cash again.

Bought a '02 FZ-1 for $2k cash down, 0% Yamaha financing for 6 mo. Worked my ass off at two jobs to pay it off in 6 months before any interest was paid. Traded that in on the '04 FJR, for $5k, 0% Yamaha financing for 6 mo. again and paid the bike off by working my ass off and tossing in the tax refund before any interest was paid, again.

Nice that some had cash, but life for a lot of people doesn't include having that kind of reserve toy funds available.

When I ordered, there was all this noise about zero interest money for a year or six months or something. The deal mysteriously disappeared the day before I picked up my bike. Paid cash. Own my car and four bikes for cash. Probably a dumb use of money but no payments, and no collision insurance required if I don't want (have it on the FJR, not the others).

I paid for mine with other people cash. :rolleyes: I was going to finance it, but my friend said hey I got 10k for you to use as you wish. pay me back when ever. It was an offer I could not refuse. Planning to pay him back within a year or so. Does nothing to my credit, but that is ok.

If it was not for my friend offer I would have never paid cash even if I had it for the bike or car for that matter. When you can get a low financing it is counter productive to pay cash for this things.

I financed just to bring up credit points. Yamaha wouldn't finanace me because they were nervous about a stupid debt I paid off 3 years before that was delinquent, so they stuck me w/ some ass rapers that even their finance guy said were shit, I said go ahead if it gets me outta here faster. Their APR was 22%! They were real pissed when I paid it off before they could send me a bill :p . No finance charge and a few extra points on credit rating, it only took 'em 6 months to send me the lien removal paperwork though, assholes.
Ed, paying off before making a single payment did nothing to your credit score. You did not show that you are capable of making your payments on time. next time around, if there is going to be a need for this, make a few payments and bite a bullet on the rate. Then your credit will show a difference.

Yamaha Credit Card - 6 months zero interest, of course this will be paid off in that time. NO INTEREST FOR YOU YAMAHA!

All my bikes have been cash (I'm not some poor 'Bama hillbilly who has to run shine to pay for his fun) except the Zook. I got the extended warranty free if I put the bike on the Zook credit card and promptly paid it off on the first statement. Same-same really, 'cept the salesman had to make something on the dealeo.

I needed to finance at the time (2005) , but Yamaha only had 12% interest rate (even for my "excellent" credit rating) on the FJR's (I guess since they are/were a hot item). So I put 4k down, financed the rest through them, then moved the entire thing to a 0% card, and paid it off over a year with no late fees, no interest on their dime. Ha ha to them.

I love to screw credit card companies.

All my bikes have been cash (I'm not some poor 'Bama hillbilly who has to run shine to pay for his fun) except the Zook.
Thankfully you're a well heeled 'Bama hillbilly who only runs shine for fun! :rolleyes: I guess the move to Cali worked out well for you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, paying off before making a single payment did nothing to your credit score. You did not show that you are capable of making your payments on time. next time around, if there is going to be a need for this, make a few payments and bite a bullet on the rate. Then your credit will show a difference.
In fact, if you pay more than your minimum payment each month, there's more money that goes to principal, so you can lower your effective interest rate over the life of the loan. All ya got to do is figure the payment at the rate you want, then subtract that amount from your current payment, and then add that difference to your regular monthly payment. Viola!, you're paying roughly that lower rate by the time everything shakes out at the end.

Bunch of upper-income bastards. There are time when I wish I had been born rich instead of so damn handsome. But, then again, no. Then I'd look like ya'll.

I may be poor, but I'm handsome and hung. It's good to be me. B)