Dirt bike purchase for my 9 year old son

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joevelocity

Reaction score
I could use a little help with PROs/CONs on a purchase that is inevitable since my 9 year-old son somehow scraped up $100 cash for his portion of a dirt bike purchase in 2.3 hours, after I mentioned it last night.

I am seeing a bunch of small knock-off bikes available new with a year warranty, 70cc-110cc shipped for $600-$700. (some assembly required). On Craig's list I am seeing 1999-2004 PW80s in that same price range.

I see a parts availability and resale advantage to buying a used PW80, but do I care if he will outgrow it in 2 years?

I have about 5 acres, he would ride around the back yard, but not do see any serious dirt bike riding for a couple years.

Right now we are working on the basics.

Anybody want to help me weigh the decision?

Thanks for any help.

Being this is a starter bike, the chance that you will need parts is pretty good. Go with the PW80. And you are correct, resale value is crazy on those PW's.

I'd go with the Yamaha. That Chinese stuff bends and breaks too easy.
Rushes is right on the money here! Even their lo-mein breaks before you can get it into your mouth!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the Yamaha. That Chinese stuff bends and breaks too easy.
Rushes is right on the money here! Even their lo-mein breaks before you can get it into your mouth!
Also look at the TTR90. It is almost the same size as the PW but it's 4 stroke and requires less maintainence. You can get it with electric start as well.

Stay away from the chinese knock offs they will not last. Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda are your best bets.

My son started on a pw50 when he was 3 and quickly outgrew it. He is 8 now and has a Honda CRF70 and rides that thing all day only stopping to get gas. It is pretty much bullet proof and if something ever does break it is really easy to get parts. Plus the name brands will hold their value when it comes time to upgrade.

Dont skip out on the gear either helmet, boots, gloves, chest protector, and neck brace are mandatory. It takes a little investment in the beginning but will be worth every penny when you see the smile on his face when he rides.

All the replies are right-on -- stay away from those little Chinese bikes (they're just not very good).

And get him a small bike to start -- and, yes, he'll out-grow it. If he likes motorcycles, he'll out-grow many -- get used to it.

Spoken by a dad who bought 70s, 80s, 90s, 100s, 125s, 200s ..... (it eventually stops when they leave home.... :) ).

(If you keep them in good shape, they'll be wanted by some other poor parent.... ;) )

My son rode a Honda CRF-70 from age 9-12, and currently runs a Yamaha TTR-125 LE. My daughter is 10 and is now running the CRF-70 and should also get 2 or three years out of it. The Honda is bullet proof and is very easy for them start. The Yamaha is a little cold blooded but seems to be getting better every run. If the 125 was not electric start, there would have be times initially that my son would never have been able to start it.

Stay away from the Chinese knock-offs.

MY 2 cents worth.

Canadian FJR

I've done both for my kids. I've bought a brand new Honda XR50, for about $1100, sold it 4 years later for $700. And we (including ME), rode the CRAP out of it.

I bought a RedCat Kazuma 4 wheeler for $800, now about 4 years later, I need to haul it to the dump, or pay someone to come get it. And it didn't get a quarter the riding the honda got. In fact, it's been sitting now for almost two years.

It's just made of 'pot metal'. You can't keep it steering right, the kids just never had as much fun on it, and when they did ride it, something was always going wrong. Not the engine, it never broke, but everything else.

If you're buying used Japanese, you can likely sell it in a couple years for exactly what you paid. You won't be able to give the chinese knockoff away.

I've done both for my kids. I've bought a brand new Honda XR50, for about $1100, sold it 4 years later for $700. And we (including ME), rode the CRAP out of it.
I bought a RedCat Kazuma 4 wheeler for $800, now about 4 years later, I need to haul it to the dump, or pay someone to come get it. And it didn't get a quarter the riding the honda got. In fact, it's been sitting now for almost two years.

It's just made of 'pot metal'. You can't keep it steering right, the kids just never had as much fun on it, and when they did ride it, something was always going wrong. Not the engine, it never broke, but everything else.

If you're buying used Japanese, you can likely sell it in a couple years for exactly what you paid. You won't be able to give the chinese knockoff away.

Thanks! that definitely is the consensus. One of those times you get what you pay for.

Buy a reliable bike that you can get parts for, you can't lose. The cheap knock off will leave you feeling empty.... :dribble:

My very limited experience of dirt biking involves the TTR125. Talk about taking a licking and keeping on ticking!!! I've beaten the you-know-what out of that bike and it keeps coming back for more. Yamahas rock! (but then I'm biased, since I've owned quite a few of them, and been delighted all around).

A few years ago I bought my son a nice lightly used PW80 he rode it two years and I sold it for about the same price I paid. Its a Yamaha so if you get one thats not trashed already it should last great.

An XR50 will probably cost a bit more than a PW50, but I'd look for one of those. There's a huge market for "pit bikes," AKA grown-ups trying to kill themselves on "fiddies," and after he's too tall for it you can boost the seat and bars up, plus fit a 110 kit and do wheelies till it hurts. :) On the subject of 110s, Kawasaki's klx110 is a nice one.

An XR50 will probably cost a bit more than a PW50, but I'd look for one of those. There's a huge market for "pit bikes," AKA grown-ups trying to kill themselves on "fiddies," and after he's too tall for it you can boost the seat and bars up, plus fit a 110 kit and do wheelies till it hurts. :) On the subject of 110s, Kawasaki's klx110 is a nice one.
I started my son @ 8 years old on the TTR90. good beginer, traded it fo a TTR 125, he's growing like a weed. As I type this, he is outside on his new Honda rebel 250. I am preping him for our father son ride when he turns 16. He's already looking at Honda 750s. He's killin me. Anyway the yamaha dirt bikes were always good running bikes, I got good trade in value for them too. They are cold starting though.

Here is my boy at his first race at 4 years old on a suzuki jr50

Copyofbrody088.jpg

Here he is at 7 on his ktm50 bored to a 65

100_3177.jpg

The current ride crf70 at 9 years old

dirtydaves013.jpg

They do grow out of them fast and you will be upgrading soon but it is worth every penny :yahoo: