Distance Riding Improvements?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I used to race, I'd lift weights and use cardio equipment to train for the season. Without fail, after the first race weekend, I was sore in places that working out didn't cover. So, as many have mentioned, saddle time can't be substituted.

Back in 1982 I rode a Suzuki GS1100 from MA to AZ to visit a friend going to ASU. I wanted to do 6-7 hundred miles a day to make it in 4 days and up 'till that ride, never did more than 300 miles in a day. The ride back home was easier due to the ride out conditioning me to get used to long days.

If the weather is hot, get a cooling vest. I bought 2 last year before me and the gf headed back from Spearfish to WA. That was the best $80 bucks i spent on the trip. Without the cooling vest the trip back home would have been tough in the 100+ degree temperatures.

Try a russell seat as well. Money well spent.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I'm exercising, working my core, adjusting my diet and getting into riding shape by...riding.

I'm still considering getting a Russell Seat. The cost, shipping and wait time give me pause.

I don't use it for normal riding, but a tanklock tank bag is so very convenient for LD riding, as ion and 101st pointed out. Glasses, wallet, log book, etc. are so easy to get to. Makes a no-dismount quickie fuel stop a breeze. When I did TOH this year, it made a big difference.

Moving the feet around on the pegs helps. I also stand up from time to time to stretch the legs, get the blood flowing again. Last year I had the corbin seat which was a brick. This year I have a Lamm seat which is much better. As the others have said, hydration is a big part of long rides.

I lift two or three times a week and on the days I don't lift I run two or three times a week. (3-4 miles) I only do full day rides a couple times a year but when I do I am tired at the end. Yet at the end of those riding days I see at least doing something makes those full riding days much more enjoyable.

One other thing, wear ear protection. The wind noise with no ear protection I found to be pretty fatiguing as well.

On an all day ride, I have to stand every now and then. All the weight on your hands isn't good (and that's what he stock configuration did for me). If you adjust the bike so you're sitting more upright, make sure not to slouch. Relaxing and slouching in your pickup truck won't hurt. Doing it on your bike can result in discomfort at a minimum, injury at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still considering getting a Russell Seat. The cost, shipping and wait time give me pause.
Seats are really personal preference. I've got the Corbin Canyon Dual Sport and purchased it about 200 miles before an iron butt I did from Texas to W. Virginia. Once the seat got broken in (about the time I got there) it was really comfortable (for me) and the trip back (2 650 mile days) was a pleasure. I've always been fond of the Corbin "hardness". I've had "soft cushiony" seats before and for me, I get hot spots. The harder Corbin resolved that.

A couple of weekends ago, my son and I dusted off the old clubs and visited the local driving range. The idea was we'd hit a couple of buckets as a "tune-up" and then we'd go play some another weekend. We both knew that having not played in a while there was bound to be some rusty swings. It actually went better than either of us expected.

The next day both of us were very sore. I would have expected it for me, but my son is 29 Y/O, in excellent athletic physical shape, runs, rides bicycles up mountains, and hikes extensively where he lives in Vermont, and he lifts and swings 50 lb grain bags and full beer kegs around all day at work.

The moral of this story is that certain activities, like golf, use specific actions and muscles that are not used in other activities, and are hard to target with regular exercises. Riding a motorcycle is one of those activities.

The best "exercise" for getting into long distance riding shape is riding more miles. Luckily, it is also the most fun exercise!
wink.png

<clip> I use a Yamaha sport touring shield in the summer, cee bailey big screen when it's cold. <clip>

I bought a Yamaha Touring windshield. However, the wind noise is still excessive. I am used to riding a Yamaha Venture, which provides great wind protection. I love my FJR, but I need more wind protection so I can talk to my buddy using our Sena communicators while we are riding on the highway (70+ mph).

I was thinking about buying the Cee Bailey 23" windshield. How would you compare the wind protection between the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Cee Bailey big windshield? In other words, is it worth the $200 to upgrade?

If you want coverage, try a Rifle barn door, +4" wide +8" tall. I've been running one for the past 6 years and been pleased as punch with it.
Brodie
At first I thought that you were kidding -- a barn door on a motorcycle! I googled it anyway and found this link: https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields-Motorcycle-Fairings-Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-for-Yamaha/M4.aspx

It looks like they only make the windscreen for 2012 and older FJR's. I will research tomorrow to see if the 2012 windsreen will work on my 2015.

Thanks!

<<snip>> I was thinking about buying the Cee Bailey 23" windshield. How would you compare the wind protection between the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Cee Bailey big windshield? In other words, is it worth the $200 to upgrade?
The difference between a OE Touring shield and the CB will be a night and day improvement. Can't go wrong with a Cee Baileys reverse contour...they make a very nice product.

Be patient, CB usually runs a late December sale.

--G

<<snip>> I was thinking about buying the Cee Bailey 23" windshield. How would you compare the wind protection between the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Cee Bailey big windshield? In other words, is it worth the $200 to upgrade?
The difference between a OE Touring shield and the CB will be a night and day improvement. Can't go wrong with a Cee Baileys reverse contour...they make a very nice product.

Be patient, CB usually runs a late December sale.

--G

Thank you for the advice. I will keep my eyes open for the lat December sale.

<br />
I bought a Yamaha Touring windshield. However, the wind noise is still excessive. I am used to riding a Yamaha Venture, which provides great wind protection. I love my FJR, but I need more wind protection so I can talk to my buddy using our Sena communicators while we are riding on the highway (70+ mph).<br />
<br />
I was thinking about buying the Cee Bailey 23" windshield. How would you compare the wind protection between the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Cee Bailey big windshield? In other words, is it worth the $200 to upgrade?</p></blockquote>

I have a Gen II. Have used a Yamaha touring screen and it sucked. No offense to anyone that likes it. You pay for a $90 screen you get $90 of value. I now have a Cee Bailey w/flip and love it. Have also tried a Vstream and it's not nearly as nice (IMHO) as the Cee Bailey.