Does such a bike exist?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheesyRider

Reaction score
My wife has a Bandit 1250. She absolutely loves the bike, but she puts on a lot of miles and I'm getting tired of performing chain maintenance.

Here's the criteria I need to meet for her to consider changing bikes:

• 2005 or newer
  • 1000cc+
  • Fuel Injection
  • Shaft Drive
  • Smooth engine - She generally likes Inline fours and dislikes parallel twins, but doesn't have any experience with other configurations
  • 567lb wet weight - she doesn't want anything heavier than the Bandit
  • full or half fairing - she doesn't like naked bikes or cruisers
  • riding position similar to the Bandit
  • ABS a plus, but not a deal breaker

She is actually quite willing to do her own chain maintenance, but I usually do it because I need to be the one to put the bike on the center stand. I figure if I'm already in the garage, I might as well lube the chain. Lingering foot issues from a motorcycle mishap a couple years ago make it impossible for her to get the bike on the center stand herself. I know I could just get a Scott-oiler or have her do her own chain maintenance, but I'm just curious if I'm somehow overlooking the perfect bike for her out there. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oiler seems like a straight up easy peasy cheaper solution, but I'll be interested to see what the Forum comes up with as well.

If she loves it, sounds like she has the perfect bike. Get the oiler.

Don't think there is a shaftie out there that even comes close to fitting your criteria.

The three minutes it takes to oil the chain every 500 miles is nothing. Better than an oiler.

I had an oiler on my VFR for about a year. It was impossible to get right - on warm days it dumped too much oil and on cold days too little. It makes a mess too. Considering the time it takes to install and constantly fiddle with, you could have oiled the chain many times.

My wife has a Bandit 1250. She absolutely loves the bike, but she puts on a lot of miles and I'm getting tired of performing chain maintenance.

• 2005 or newer
  • 1000cc+
  • Fuel Injection
  • Shaft Drive
  • Smooth engine - She generally likes Inline fours and dislikes parallel twins, but doesn't have any experience with other configurations

She is actually quite willing to do her own chain maintenance, but I usually do it because I need to be the one to put the bike on the center stand. I figure if I'm already in the garage, I might as well lube the chain. Lingering foot issues from a motorcycle mishap a couple years ago make it impossible for her to get the bike on the center stand herself. I know I could just get a Scott-oiler or have her do her own chain maintenance, but I'm just curious if I'm somehow overlooking the perfect bike for her out there. Thanks!
1000CC+

Shaft

Under 587lbs? Tough search.

My 91 Suzuki GSX1100G met almost those needs except the year and was a bit heavier than that.

• 2005 or newer
  • 1000cc+
  • Fuel Injection
  • Shaft Drive

1000CC+

Shaft

Under 587lbs? Tough search.

My 91 Suzuki GSX1100G met almost those needs except the year and was a bit heavier than that.
2004 non ABS with 1.3 gal of fuel will meet those requirements. At 6.2 pounds/gal keep adding until

she doesn't like it. OR shut up & keep oiling !!

I kind of exaggerated my dislike of chain maintenance. I know it really isn't that big a deal. I was mostly just curious if I anyone makes a bike with the criteria I listed. I didn't think so, as I keep up fairly well on what is out there. But, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

My link

No muscle required to get the rear tire off the ground. I've used this and it was great.
Cool device! That looks like the way too go.

Is it just me or is not the obvious choice a 2005 FJR? Dry weight is only 537 lbs (6.6 gallons of gas is about 40lbs plus the other fluids you prob. right at about 600lbs wet I would guess) Put aftermarket exhaust cans on and loose up to 15 lbs there, take off the saddlebags if she's just a day rider and loose another what??? 25-30lbs? Your talking very close to the same weight as her current bike. If she can ride a 567 lbs. 1200cc Bandit she would love a Gen1 FJR.

My vote is for a 2005 FJR with ABS for her. It meets every single one of your bullet point requirements for her as well.

05 FJR Specs

And why am I the first one to suggest this!!! :blink:

Triumph Explorer meets all criteria except budget perhaps, and would be really fun for you to. 33-inch seat height, 539 lbs. 1215 cc triple that puts out a claimed 135 hp and 89 foot-pounds of torque through shaft drive to the rear wheel. Kind of outside the box, but a very cool looking bike.

Is it just me or is not the obvious choice a 2005 FJR? Dry weight is only 537 lbs (6.6 gallons of gas is about 40lbs plus the other fluids you prob. right at about 600lbs wet I would guess) Put aftermarket exhaust cans on and loose up to 15 lbs there, take off the saddlebags if she's just a day rider and loose another what??? 25-30lbs? Your talking very close to the same weight as her current bike. If she can ride a 567 lbs. 1200cc Bandit she would love a Gen1 FJR.

My vote is for a 2005 FJR with ABS for her. It meets every single one of your bullet point requirements for her as well.

05 FJR Specs

I'm curious. Does a genI feel substantially lighter than a genII? My wife has never even attempted to ride my FJR. When she sits on it she says "OMFG is this thing heavy". I have to admit, although a genII is about 90lbs heavier than a Bandit, it feels more like 200lbs until you get moving.

Triumph Explorer meets all criteria except budget perhaps, and would be really fun for you to. 33-inch seat height, 539 lbs. 1215 cc triple that puts out a claimed 135 hp and 89 foot-pounds of torque through shaft drive to the rear wheel. Kind of outside the box, but a very cool looking bike.
I didn't realize they were that light. It is a little too much money right now, but in a couple years when used ones are available, it might be the perfect replacement. It would need to be lowered a little bit, but I would guess that's an easy fix. My wife's lingering foot issue I mentioned in the first post was caused by a bike that was too tall for her. She didn't lower her Versys and lost her footing when stopped on uneven pavement. It is amazing how much injury a zero mph drop can cause.

Maybe a clean used BMW K1200R Sport? If this had been available at the time I bought my K1200S there's a good chance I would have gotten this instead.

bmw_k1200r_sport.jpg

bmw_k1200r_sport_2.jpg

Moto Guzzi Norge GT. I didn't see your price ceiling but these can be had for a good deal if found.

05 FJR Specs

Because you are all wrong. You are mixing wet and dry weights. Forget about dry weights. A Gen I non-abs is about 620-630lbs wet, and the ABS model about 645lbs wet. The Bandit is most definitely a lighter bike.

I was just talking to my wife. She decided really wants ABS, a full fairing, and doesn't care if it has a chain. For her next bike she wants to buy a Suzuki GSX1250FA (essentially a Bandit with a full fairing and standard ABS) and give it the full Holeshot treatment. New leftover 2011's are marked way down in price. We won't have the money to buy in cash until winter, but it looks like Suzuki has 0% for five years until the end of the month. Unfortunately, we wont have time to do any bike shopping until June. So, if they extend the 0% she'll probably buy this summer. Otherwise, I bet they'll still be some around this winter at even bigger discounts. Looks like we're going to have a bike with a chain in the garage for a long time.

I almost forgot. I mentioned the Triumph Explorer. She wants nothing to do with adventure style bikes. I guess after breaking her foot, spraining her shoulder, and spending an entire summer in a wheelchair she can't get over the association of bad things with adv bikes. It doesn't make sense to me. But, happy wife, happy life.

I forgot to mention the other bikes brought up in the thread and she's asleep already. But, I think my wife would find the Norge too slow, the BMW too ugly (although I kind of like it), and the genI FJR too inferior to the genII that would be parked next to it in the garage.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

05 FJR Specs

Because you are all wrong. You are mixing wet and dry weights. Forget about dry weights. A Gen I non-abs is about 620-630lbs wet, and the ABS model about 645lbs wet. The Bandit is most definitely a lighter bike.
You apparently didn't read my entire post and stopped at "dry weight". So no I wasn't confused on dry/wet weights. In case you missed it here was the rest of what I said.

"(6.6 gallons of gas is about 40lbs plus the other fluids you prob. right at about 600lbs wet I would guess) Put aftermarket exhaust cans on and loose up to 15 lbs there, take off the saddlebags if she's just a day rider and loose another what??? 25-30lbs?"

But it doesn't really matter anyways, the OP is not interested in a FJR for her. Good luck with your bike search. :)