Does this sound like steering stem bearings?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brap

Reaction score
Hey guys... I noticed towards the end of last year's riding season that when I use the front brake, as the forks compress, there is a click in the front end somewhere. I can barely feel it in the bars. Also worth noting, I removed the cable guide under the top clamp when putting on risers. Do I just need to retorque the stem bearings? It makes the click sound when compressing and again when i come to a stop (when the forks rebound).

Thanks!

brap

When did you last retorque your head bearings as part of your regular maintenance program? If the answer is never and you have 50,000 miles on your bike....probably yes. You have 1100 miles in 5 years...probably not so much.

It might also be the fork springs.

i haven't ever retorqued them. It's got 13k on it now. is it normal to get fork spring clicks? Just seems kinda weird that it started semmingly all of the sudden...

Got a '05 several years ago and had same sound. Loosened pinch bolts and it took about 3 turns to torque steering head nut. I wouold bet it came from the factory like that.

I had the same problem when mine was newer, part of the click is the rotors turning on the rivets as these are floating discs. I also adjusted the stem bearings and most of the noise went away. The disc rivets will gather some brake dust over time and this will lessen the click also.