Doggie Down .. Cdog sez.. I fell of the bike!! ARF!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
WE ARE OK.. My wife has a small bruise on her elbow, impact through armor.. gear probably saved her a broken elbow/arm. No road rash, no sore spots (except pride) Gear is toast, but that is its job

Yesterday I had a business meeting in Huntington Utah, Couple hours south of me. My wife took the day off to ride with me that day. I went through the bike the previous evening and did routine maintenance. The bike was five by five.

The plan consisted of basically slabbing it down, taking the meeting, and doing a leisurely ride back up "Huntington Canyon" Hwy 31 between Huntington Utah and Fairview. Having never been on that road I was expecting a nice ride and nice scenery.

The weather was shitty and we were ready for it. We had been at or mostly below the posted limit (yes, I do that sometimes). Meeting went well. I can see the entrance to Huntington Canyon from the meeting place and it looks like patches of Sunshine and torrential rain all the way up the side we can see. COOL! We had the gear and were not in a hurry. So we donned ALL of our gear.. I don't mean ATGATT, I mean ATGATT and ATRAINGEAR too.. We will be in downpour #1 (of this leg) in about 7-8 Minutes from the looks of things.. Locals said the pass is a wonderful ride and open

I tell wifey, Hey, we are just going to take it easy, She says, "That's Fine" (she says that a lot to me and I think it is a good thing)

About 4-5 miles the rain starts. Locals (at the crash scene) tell me the posted speed was 50, I was either at that or just below on a fairly straight section of road, slight right hand sweep to it. Something that even in the rain did not really register.. it was not even really a curve in a biker brain. Not at 45MPH anyway. This curve would take well into triple digits on a dry day

P6100268.JPG

Then I change my gaze from ahead to down in front briefly as my eyes shift and alarms went off in my head.. Just as I started to think "That looks slippery" and was rolling off gradually.. Instead it went.

"That looks….. shit,, I just lost both ends of the bike….. we are going down.. where is my wife…. Ahh right next to me sliding… are we EVER going to stop sliding… FUCK I am glad I have gear on..GET UP…"

As we are going down I am waiting for my body to make a response.. It was slow motion because we were only going 45 or so-ish.. I had no response. I did not know how to pull it out.. I lost the front and the back simultaneously, I felt it happen.. I went "I don't have an input response for this..I don't know what the right answer is"

Kenra and I stopped sliding in the oncoming lane.. the bike stopped next to us in the correct lane. This road is medium busy,, and no one was coming at that instant.. Two oncoming vehicles saw our slide, but not the getoff. So by the time we had stopped, stood up, and looked around, we had three cars = 5 people coming to our aid.

Now, This road is a road that leads up to the coal Mines and a few other mines in the area..

P6100265.JPG

The truck turning in the background is turning up the road to the mine.. This section of road is where the coal mining trucks are decelerating to make this turn.. They were coming at a rate of around 1 every 3-4 minutes.. So what is wrong with the road.. I know it was a slippery sunofabitch.. I am not a god on a bike by any means.. But I am crystal clear I did not fuck up and just fall the hell off the bike.. By now,, the rain had stopped-ish..

Local Sheriff showed up in short order.. Called Troopers as it was their jurisdiction.. He measured from the bikes first touchdown.. to the stopping point.. 273 feet… We slid 273 feet… from a 45-ish MPH getoff.. Trooper was extremely cool.. and I was adamant ( and evidently convincing ) "I do haul ass at times officer.. I have squid in me.. but not this time.. Not even close.." He wrote the report as 45 in a 50 and oil on the road.. No fault, no citation

As another gully-washer comes overhead while waiting for the tow truck.. I am walking around.. trying to figure WTF happened.. then I look down as the rain hits harder right at the getoff point.. Sonofabitch!!!

P6100305.JPG

P6100316.JPG

That is a mixture (I am guessing here) of coal dust and oil from the big trucks braking for the turn up ahead over the years.. The stuff is BUBBLING up from below the asphalt as the rain saturates the road..

P6100317.JPG

I tossed my sharpie down for perspective. You can see bubble above and left of the pen.. and just below the pen as this crap comes up out of the road..

I try to learn from everything on a bike.. good and bad.. I was running at 3/10ths, even for conditions (well give me a break for not knowing about the shit seeping up from the road) It was not "Just starting to rain" it had been raining on and off all day/week

The thing that gets me the most is.. I drew a blank when I felt both ends of the bike go away.. I had no response.. I am glad I was at or below posted.. Faster would have just made it worse..

If there is anything I could have done different.. to save that bike when it let go.. I would love input from those who have more experience.

A gallery of pics here.. Bike is a total loss…. I would be VERY surprised if the Ins co fixes it.. There is much wrong and it traded sides a couple times.. and went over the nose at least once Gallery https://picasaweb.google.com/CdogMan/June09Crash02#

Last edited by a moderator:
P6100259.JPG

P6100283.JPG

Pulled the slider bolt, thread and all, right out of the block

P6100284.JPG

P6100312.JPG

P6100289.JPG

P6100320.JPG

P6100260.JPG

This is where we touched down.. The bike (way the hell up there) is where we stopped

P6100268.JPG

P6100295.JPG

P6100275.JPG

P6100279.JPG

Sucks wet wooly monkey nut, but hey, the gear saved you both and your both relatively fine.

When you lose friction because of THAT kind of shit on the road.. nothing is going to save it.. Hey, new bike in the future!

Oh, I will not stop riding.. It is on my blood.. I am an addict.. New bike, Yes.. But not for a bit.. This mess will take some time to clear up and I dont have money to go get another one.. This one was not paid for.. Yes.. I will get a new bike!!

Wow, glad you're both OK, Robin. Not sure what you might do in that kind of situation. Betting a MotoGP rider of your size and strength could have saved it, but we all have real jobs and they're all little dudes, anyway.

We're just about to ride to British Columbia in what is beginning to look more and more like lotsa rainy weather, and your post and pics will be in my mind. Awareness, awareness, awareness!!!! This is a great reminder that it isn't always what you do recklessly that causes the cash, but sometimes it's the little things you don't expect and only vigilance has a chance of avoiding the result. Kind of an expensive public service demonstration, but I'm glad you both are relatively unscathed physically.

Looking forward to finding out whether your next bike has a clutch. B)

Glad you are both OK and have a good attitude. Very strange road conditions there.

Is that an aluminum slider? I would expect a delrin slider to compress, maybe bend the bolt, and slide, but not rip the bolt out.

The most important thing is you both are OK.

That's why I never ride in the first half hour of downpour. The road is slickiest at that time.

Glad you are both OK and have a good attitude. Very strange road conditions there.
Is that an aluminum slider? I would expect a delrin slider to compress, maybe bend the bolt, and slide, but not pull the bolt.
Yes, that is an aluminum,, Skyway..

The bike hit so damm hard on that side I dont think, in the big picture, it would have made much difference.. In the gallery there is broken shit all the way down that side of the bike.. HUGE gouges in the road as it swapped sides.. Everyting on that side of the bike that protrudes out.. is busted right off the frame, all the way down to the foot brake and more, handlebars and all,, busted in half

Man, sorry about the get off. Glad you and the wife are just rattled and not anything worse.

I would have to say that if you felt both ends break loose, there prollie wasn't anything else you could have done. That sluge looks pretty slick and I bet it coated the tires well enough at that point to make any kind of recovery a real challenge.

GL with the Ins. Co and hope to see a post of you and a new bike before the end of the year.

Robin, I'm very glad that you and Kenra are ok. ATGATT works.

Looks like a new bike is in your future!

Man o man. Sure am glad you two are OK and walked away from that. It sure is wild looking at relatively the same bike and riding gear as we have. Thanks so much for posting those pics for us to go over. It sure will help for more awareness ahead. Those kind of hidden traps scare me the most. No traffic during the slide was sure a blessing.

Glad to see you are both OK. This is a good lesson for those of us that don't ride in rain that often to slow down and expect the unexpected.

Dan

Kay-Rhist, this world is blessed with only so many of the god-like Cerulean Silver FJR's, and here you have to go and wad one up!!! :p

You need to stop doing this, cdog....... really, really glad you and Kendra are alright!!!

Holy CRAP that's some freaky shit!

Really glad to hear you and your wife are OK. Another firm reminder why to be ATGATT.

Wow.

Would you give us more detail how both of your gear performed?

270+ foot slide... Wow...

That pic in the mirror of the wrecker with the FJR chained down on it's side is a good one.

BG