Downshifting tips ?! ... and my FJR1300A '06 dies on me as I pace thru traffic on 1st/2nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr007

Reaction score
Hi

Just collected my new FJR1300A from the dealer today, noticed 2 things:

1- If I press the clutch, I can downshift only 1 gear at the time, e.g. if I'm at 5th and running into traffic and want to go to N, I press the clutch then I'm able to go 5 to 4, but not 4 to 3 on the same squeezing, I've to release the clutch and press it again to go 4 to 3, then again to go 3 to 2, and 2 to N.

The dealer told me this is normal and I may open the throttle instead while on the same clutch press then I'd be able to downshift more than 1 step without releasing the clutch ...

Advise please gurus ?!?!

2- The bike switched off on me several times on heavy traffic on 1st and 2nd, the clutch engages very high, i.e. it is the first 2 cms that make all the movement, then the clutch span is empty !?

Final Q - Is it truely recommended not to rev the RPM more than 5K on the 1st 600 miles ?!

Thanx

1. It is not normal. Your dealer is full of hand gesture from "Meet the fuckers 2" You should be able to shift with out releasing the clutch.

2. It switched off probably because your RPM was way too low for the gear. Check your clutch adjustment. That thing can be adjusted to fit your comfort level. If not sure how, get a local grease monkey, please no offense, and not from that dealer to show you how.

3. Depends whom you ask. I talked to D&H Jerald and he said yes to no more then 4k. He also stated that you should be rolling off all the time just a bit to let oil to g back up.

You should be able to shift down more than one gear per clutch action. Make sure you are releasing pressure on the shift lever completely between shift operations. If you are sitting still you may have to roll the bike a little bit between gears.

I dunno about that. I think it's not unusual to have to *possibly* release the clutch to shift down multiple times... especially if going slowly with a new transmission.

I often chuckle about some of the questions people pose. I mean, if one way works and another doesn't... do it the way it works. Or you can continue imagining that your bike was made on Monday after a night of sake.... your chioce. :rolleyes:

If the bike stalls, perhaps the idle speed needs to be increased.

You should be able to shift down more than one gear per clutch action. Make sure you are releasing pressure on the shift lever completely between shift operations. If you are sitting still you may have to roll the bike a little bit between gears.
I tried now while the bike is parked, I shifted up till 5, sometimes the indicator counter won't indicate the shift count till I rev the throttle high. Same as I downshift, I have to rev the RPM in order to downshift more than one gear while on same clutch action. IS this bec. I'm stationary, do you see same on your bikes if stand still.

Will also take the bike on a lap and see if same behaviour as it moves !!! Getting worried now that I may've got a bad bike :unsure: :(

Is this your first bike? Where are you located? Maybe someone with more experience on the FJR can meet with you and see what's up.

Is this your first bike? Where are you located? Maybe someone with more experience on the FJR can meet with you and see what's up.
It's my 1st bike, I'm afraid however I'm over 15000 miles away from the States, I'm in Dubai, U.A.E. :)

Wonder if you been able to downshift more than one gear on the same clutch action even if your bike is stationary, and even when it was just new, mine has less than 50 miles on it still !

I often chuckle about some of the questions people pose. I mean, if one way works and another doesn't... do it the way it works. Or you can continue imagining that your bike was made on Monday after a night of sake.... your chioce. :rolleyes:
Not to take a conversation sideways. Just because there is an alternative does not mean the CORRECT option should not be working. I work in IT and when people refuse to fix problems just because they have implemented a patch it just boils my blood. Patch is a patch and should be treated as a temporary solution. Key word "temporary".

As far as this situation goes. I can see a potential for a safety concern if it is not working as it was intended to work.

It's my 1st bike, I'm afraid however I'm over 15000 miles away from the States, I'm in Dubai, U.A.E. :) Wonder if you been able to downshift more than one gear on the same clutch action even if your bike is stationary, and even when it was just new, mine has less than 50 miles on it still !
You are doing this on a warm engine, correct?

Not to take a conversation sideways. Just because there is an alternative does not mean the CORRECT option should not be working. I work in IT and when people refuse to fix problems just because they have implemented a patch it just boils my blood. Patch is a patch and should be treated as a temporary solution. Key word "temporary".

As far as this situation goes. I can see a potential for a safety concern if it is not working as it was intended to work.

It's my 1st bike, I'm afraid however I'm over 15000 miles away from the States, I'm in Dubai, U.A.E. :) Wonder if you been able to downshift more than one gear on the same clutch action even if your bike is stationary, and even when it was just new, mine has less than 50 miles on it still !
You are doing this on a warm engine, correct?
Yep ... got it running for 3 mins before trying this

When you are coming to a stop and coming down from 5th gear. you are doing the shifting as you are stoping, or are you waiting until you have stopped to do this?

Well, it sounds to me like it MIGHT be normal behavior of the bike and you simply need to get more experience. You have a big, heavy, powerful machine and not really a good platform to learn on. Please be careful and take your time.

If you don't know anyone else with an FJR then it might be worthwhile to have someone who rides a different bike take a look to put your mind at ease.

All my Yamahas have improved shifting after 3500 miles. Ride it a while and see if things improve. Don't take this the wrong way, but some of the problems may be new operator error. Try and find someone experienced with over a few bikes and a few years experience to confirm the problems.

When you are coming to a stop and coming down from 5th gear. you are doing the shifting as you are stoping, or are you waiting until you have stopped to do this?
Just came back from a ride to be able to answer that :) Well, it is fine downshifting as the bike is moving. It fails to downshift on the stationary and "almost stationary" state - i.e. < 5 Km/h, that's where the indicator sometimes loses track of which gear it's on and displays "NOTHING", then when I rev the throttle, it sort of restores its memory and displays its last gear (e.g. 3), then as I rev the throttle (or walk the bike using my legs) I can downshift....

Now ... Is this the normal behaviour everyone is seeing their FJRs ?!

All my Yamahas have improved shifting after 3500 miles. Ride it a while and see if things improve. Don't take this the wrong way, but some of the problems may be new operator error. Try and find someone experienced with over a few bikes and a few years experience to confirm the problems.
Thanks, Called a friend w/ an R1 and many years of riding, and will see his views as well tomorrow, just wanted to get FJR owners thoughts first.

Needs to be rolling to shift or some movement back and forth while stationary, same as all stick shifts or motorcycles....synchronizers have to move to synchronize the next gear....Tranny will get much smoother after some miles are on it also...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I might need to clarify few things on what I said and meant.

There should not be a problem down shifting from5th to 1st while moving. There might be a problem doing the same while stopped. I guess the simple explanation is it is not designed to shift while more then one gear while stopped.

More importantly. From the safety point of view. You should always shift as you are slowing down. By the time you are rolling 5mph you SHOULD be in the right gear. It is inexcusable and dangerous to come to almost complete stop and still be in anything other then 1st or 2nd depending on the speed.

Just so you know where I am coming from. I have been teaching MSF for 6 year now. Imagine you are coming to a stop and you are still in 4th gear. You look in your rear view and there is a 21 year old that is talking on her cell. Do you think you will have time to complete shifting from 4th to 1st so you can move out? I did not think so. And that is another reason why I would not advise standing in Neutral at the stop unless you have few cars behind you.

Considering that you are new to riding I would think having this info would be good. Let me know if you have done any type of training or read any safety material? I might be able to provide you with some info.

Needs to be rolling to shift or some movement back and forth while stationary, same as all stick shifts or motorcycles....synchronizers have to move to synchronize the next gear....Tranny will get much smoother after some miles are on it also...
Sorry, No Syncro's in the FJR

PS: 19 Years of riding experience :eek:

Nothing is wrong with the bike. When the transmission is stopped, (the bike is not moving), even with the engine running, it's common for the gear teeth to not match up if you attempt to shift, (especially downshift), while stopped.

Proper technique is to down shift as your speed decreases. This allows you to be in the correct power band if you should need to accelerate due to traffic. Practice this and it will become habit. Normally people do not down shift to 1st while stopping, but just to second, then into neutral as they stop, or to 1st when they are stopped fully, then holding the clutch in while in first so as to be prepared for the light change, or unusual circumstances. Neutral or 1st at a stop light is a preference. In neutral you have less of a chance of getting out of the way should someone be endangering you.

Just braking to a stop, then attempting to down shift all the way to neutral is not going to hurt anything, but you will find that after one gear down, you may need to slightly engage the clutch, just enough to allow the gears to line up for the next shift. The bike should not need to move to do this, just let up a tad on the lever, then you will hear it engage the gear, squeeze the lever back in all the way and downshift again. Repeat as needed.

The "switching off" is called stalling. Too high a gear for the speed you are traveling usually, though too low a gear will lock the tire and sometimes stall as well. Practice rev matching the engine to the gear you are moving to when down shifting. A small blip of the throttle as you clutch in and down shift. It will take practice and some feel before you get it right, but it's much easier on the transmission and clutch, as well as placing you in better control while downshifting.

Good luck and please be careful.

I'm sure you are not going to like what I have to say, but so be it.

If the FJR is your first bike, you have made an expensive mistake.

The weight and power of the bike makes it completely unsuitable for you.

I'm not being offensive, but it is obvious from your post that you do not have the basic riding skills and mechanical empathy necessary to successfully and safely operate a big, heavy bike like the FJR.

This is no reflection on you or your skills - what you are doing is akin to a student pilot learning to fly on a 747.

I strongly suggest you put the FJR in your garage, and buy a cheap second hand small bike to learn on first.

Please think about what I have said, because at best you will be faced with a big repair bill when you drop the bike - those acres of plastic are very expensive to replace....

At worst you risk serious injury or death.

^+1 to what Tropical Bird says.

Sounds to me like you don't have much riding experience and the FJR can be more than a handful in inexperienced hands.

The "constant mesh" type of transmission that motorcycles have does not like to be taken from 5th to 1st without going down thru the gears.

Last edited by a moderator: