draggin jeans?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
can anyone comment on the draggin jeans?

heat, shrinkage, comfort.

how would you rate them vs. leather chaps?

derek

I've been using them for over 3 yrs. now; I can definitely recommend them. For me they're as comfortable as regular jeans, and just slightly warmer; (I have the blue ones...no way I was gonna try black in our usual heat/humidity) That can be an advantage/disadvantage depending on the temp.; I still wear them even when it's 90 outside, just to have the extra protection. The Kevlar panels also act a nice windbreak on cool days. Originally I bought a pair of the 'classic cut' which look like typical straight-leg Levis. Washed'em, and they shrank..a lot. Sold them to a friend. Decided to then try a pair of their full cut, which has more leg room; was more comfortable for me on long rides (250 + mile day trips). They look a bit baggy in the legs/butt as compared to the classic, which you may not like if you're a Brokeback Mountain fan.. :dribble: When I ordered those, I ordered them 2 waist sizes bigger than I normally wear, washed & dried them; they shrank down to a perfect fit...at least that was the way it was back then. The Kevlar knee panels in the full cut also go all the way around your knee, not just on the front. To date they appear to be wearing well, enduring many wash cycles. I do not have a comparo for you vs. chaps..maybe someone else can pick that up....Regards, Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got them on right now...

They're very comfortable, wear very well, are well made, and other than being a bit heavier than normal jeans (because of the additional Kevlar fabric) aren't different to the common observer. In fact, most people are surprised that they're not just normal jeans when I tell them. Haven't had the chance to use them in a get-off, and I'm sure they won't help much on impact, but any sliding I do on asphalt or concrete should have the sliding damage reduced.

Groo...lets hope you never find out about the get off....but I was surprised & impressed you had no comment on the chaps part :blink: ....

I have the cargo pants with knee/shin, and hip armour. They are very comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

i just read a review of the draggin jeans that says they don't have kevlar on the hips. that's what i don't like about chaps, which by the way are not gay when worn for protection while riding. i have so much to teach you.

so who makes the cargo pants with the hip armour?

derek

how would you rate them vs. leather chaps?
I would rate them as significantly less gay than leather chaps.

I have a pair, and they did survive a get off at about 25 mph - I was very satisfied.

I do think it's not just the Kevlar that adds to the weight, but also the denim is thicker than regular jeans.

i just read a review of the draggin jeans that says they don't have kevlar on the hips. that's what i don't like about chaps, which by the way are not gay when worn for protection while riding. i have so much to teach you.so who makes the cargo pants with the hip armour?

derek

My cargo pants were made by Draggin Jeans. If you're in the states click here or Canada click here. The main pages have other country links.

BTW they shrank just a bit on the first wash ... about what you'd expect from any denim type pants. They are a little warmer than regular jeans because of the kevlar inserts. On the protection side for normal road application I rate impact resistance higher than abrasion resistance. Not that abrasion isn't a concern.

But I think people generally underestimate the chance of knee and foot/ankle injuries. That's the main reason I opted for the armour and have good boots (Oxtar Evo Ti). Still the kevlar covers the part of the hip that would make contact during a slide. If there is a picture of the front pocket - the kevlar covers half of it, vertically.

My draggin jeans have Kevlar side seam to side seam (i.e. from hip to hip...) don't know what are they are talking about not having Kevlar on it...

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but I don't see any reference to armor in these pants anywhere. If I didn't miss something, I'd move along until I found riding pants with armor in them.

Just imagine landing knees first on the pavement at 65mph if you feel like asking why. I guarantee that you'd be willing to pay triple the cost of decent riding pants if you could undo the pain you would feel in the aftermath of such an accident in those jeans.

-okay, for the record, like Groo, my Draggin jeans have Kevlar from side-seam to the opposite side-seam, as well as in the seat, in one piece. The knees also have a continuous 'band' of Kevlar around them (again these are the full cut draggin jeans). They do sell optional knee armor that velcros in for those that want it.

www.dragginjeans.com.au

Follow the link it will tell you all about it and what configuration you can have. There's some video of the testing on the site as well.

Cheers

Ari,

As Nusman referenced above, I've got the optional knee armor. I don't use it, because it doesn't seem likely that in a crash, the velcro is going to keep the pieces in place.... so they'd probably get shoved up my leg and into my sack... or shoot out the bottom of my pantsleg and hit some elderly lady in the noggin.

Ari,
As Nusman referenced above, I've got the optional knee armor. I don't use it, because it doesn't seem likely that in a crash, the velcro is going to keep the pieces in place.... so they'd probably get shoved up my leg and into my sack... or shoot out the bottom of my pantsleg and hit some elderly lady in the noggin.
LOL. I see. All the attendant risks of motorcycling have yet to reveal themselves to me, it seems.

thanks guys,

i'll be in calgary in a couple of weeks and i'll check them out at universal cycle.

derek

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but I don't see any reference to armor in these pants anywhere. If I didn't miss something, I'd move along until I found riding pants with armor in them.
They don't - I wear Icon Field Armor under my Draggin jeans.

Yes, it is hot.