drill face shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctxfjr

Reaction score
has anybody drilled a face shield for air flow-if so does it work? any negatives?-hole size-number and location? It sure been hot lately and I notice when I raise my shield at speed it sure is a lot cooler that being said I dont want to ride with out it because of bugs and flying objects.

has anybody drilled a face shield for air flow-if so does it work? any negatives?-hole size-number and location? It sure been hot lately and I notice when I raise my shield at speed it sure is a lot cooler that being said I dont want to ride with out it because of bugs and flying objects.
Haven't tried it, but bugs and water are the down side. The gnat swarms are coming in the vents on my N102 some nights when they're especially thick. A hole in the face shield would be a ready entrance point.

I just crack mine about a 1/4 inch, does the same thing, and I don't have holes to deal with if it rains, or ride through a bug swarm.

Noise levels would be about the same too, so why drill holes?

(not to mention I would question the visors ability to absorb impacts with crack inducing holes being added)

KM

I just crack mine about a 1/4 inch, does the same thing, and I don't have holes to deal with if it rains, or ride through a bug swarm.

(not to mention I would question the visors ability to absorb impacts with crack inducing holes being added)
Good points. In fact, noise levels could be higher because of oddball resonance effects and such. If I hold my mouth just right, I can induce siren like noises in my helmets.

I'd worry especially about the rain. I've been caught in two gully washers lately, and my Shoei Multitec has had terrible condensation on the inside. I was riding through flooded roads without being able to see anything. Duh! I'd left the bottom vent open and it was spraying rain all over the shield! I'm afraid the holes would do the same thing.

I've thought about this as well. I don't think it would add too much increase in wind noise. I'd try two holes on the L/R margins. Start with an 1/8" size. Test... add more or enlarge those holes a bit. Also, you may need to get a special bit for plastic. Regular bits can grab and crack certain plastics.

Go for it mate!

Scott

I've thought about this as well. I don't think it would add too much increase in wind noise. I'd try two holes on the L/R margins. Start with an 1/8" size. Test... add more or enlarge those holes a bit. Also, you may need to get a special bit for plastic. Regular bits can grab and crack certain plastics.
Go for it mate!

Scott
same thoughts I had I always carry a spare shield so rain is not an issue(never rains here anyway). My shield wont stay open unless I crack it so much that the wind catches it and jerks my head around. I was thinking a couple of 1/8 holes on either side would be a good start. I have an old scratched shield I will try it on.

Good points. In fact, noise levels could be higher because of oddball resonance effects and such. If I hold my mouth just right, I can induce siren like noises in my helmets.
I'd like to see that :)

Go for it mate!

Scott

Just be sure you have a spare shield on hand. I drilled a CeeBailey once (don't ask!) and wound up with some little star-shaped cracks radiating out from the first hole. Not bad, but not pretty. A plastics bit would be a good idea.

If I hold my mouth just right, I can induce siren like noises in my helmets.
No doubt a "left over" from your days of riding your bicycle in the neighborhood while playing cops-and-robbers! Do you also use clothespins to hold the playing cards against the spokes?

I like the little feature on the Shoei helmets that holds the face shield about 1/8" open.

Last edited by a moderator:
In NV I ride with a half helmet during summer months and HJC flip during other months. I just raise the wind screen when the bugs get bad..

In NV I ride with a half helmet during summer months and HJC flip during other months. I just raise the wind screen when the bugs get bad..
This is the first year that I'm wearing a half helmet..I like it.. You get to see more, coooooler in the heat and great in the city....

This is the first year that I'm wearing a half helmet..I like it.. You get to see more, coooooler in the heat and great in the city....

Get some aquaium tubing,you know that small 1/8" - 3/16" I.D. stuff. Cut a bunch into 1/4" lengths and split it lengthwise. put em in your glovebox. You can slip them over the bottom of your shield to keep it open a crack. If you've got a bunch you don't have to worry if you lose one.