Droid X on the bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had ordered the Ram Medium box; while it was large enough to fit my iPhone, the connector on the Powerlet charging cable was too bulky to fit without some severe crimping. I am currently waiting on the Medium/Wide box to show up.

I have been researching the Aqua boxes and found a Med/large at ram mounts that looks large enough to allow room for the charging cable. I also ordered a u-clear hbc100 communicator from RevZilla. I hope to be able to set up the phone to use voice dialing along with the other vunctions so I won't have to use the touchpad at all. I will do a review when everything gets here.

Don
Looking foward to your report, Don. Thanks.

I just read that there are a couple of companies working on waterproof android phones. There are also some glove makers that are making gloves with conducive threads sewn into the fingertips that will allow you to control the capacitive screens on smartphones. I would.guess that within a year this setup would be the way to go on a bike. I will be following the progress of these items to see where they lead.

I got to use my medium size Aqua Ram box last w.e. with my Droid X on a 1100 mile round trip TX Hill Country ride. With the weather never threatening I left the membrane off and used in conjunction with ver.1 TomTom Rider worked great with the phone and even received a text message-dang Jimmy Johnson. I am not much of a techno wiz but it worked rather seamlessly, even if the weather had turned bad the phone should do fine.I received some calls and made some too but not many, the Rider worked good. Discussion about keeping a charge to it would be a problem right now but never used Slacker or Pandora so battery use for 9 hour runs never were a problem. If I get another run I will figure a way to get the charge to it.

I looked at Amazon and the gloves 'AGLOVE' and wonder about them through the membrane.I doubt it would work on the bike.

So other than as a phone holder the system worked for me and even the new Audiovox C.C.worked great by myself. Doesn't work with a group of 7 bikes.

You can say the weekend was a experience and was almost drama-less. Too bad a fellow brother rider did not make the trip back to Granbury :dribble:

Discussion about keeping a charge to it would be a problem right now but never used Slacker or Pandora so battery use for 9 hour runs never were a problem. If I get another run I will figure a way to get the charge to it.
One way to get a charge to a cellphone in a sealed Aquabox is wirelessly via induction. Here's a hack that illustrates the point. clicky

You might want to tidy up the guts of this lab experiment from spilling out. :derisive:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally had a chance on Sunday to test the droid x and the aqua box. I don't think this combination will work for me. Installing the u-clear bluetooth system went withoute any problems and it worked pretty well. I have a HJC helmet wich tends to be noisy so I wear earplugs. With the earplugs in I had to have the volume up to the max to hear. Also when I made a phone call my voice was muffled somewhat on the other end. I could hear fine. When I ended the call the gps screen disapeared. The biggest problem is the aqua box. As mentioned earlier the touch pad doesn't work through the membrane. I solved this by setting the gps and maping up before I closed it in the aqua box. The map was unreadable through the membrane for my 62 year old eyes. so was basically useless. Also the phone over heated after a couple hours and I had to shut it down. I may try to use a motorolla windshield mount inside a sandwich bag but I am thinking it is too much hastle. The most reasonable option is to set the gps to give turn by turn directions and just put the phone in my pocket. I will have to experiment some more as I'm not sure if the gps will even work in my pocket. If is doesn't work I will dig out my old battery powered E-trex legend and just use the phone for tunes and calls.

Don

Will the aquabox hold the phone without the rubber screen thingy? It won't be waterproof, but at least you can use with it is dry out.

I've got a setup that works pretty well for me with an Evo 4G for nav and tunes, I'm pretty sure it's the same type of screen as the Droid:

This cradle:

https://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078052085/Default.aspx

I keep a couple sammich bags on the bike in case it rains, you can still use the EVO's screen through it. I have it mounted to the left grip and run the charger into the glove box.

For the gloves you can sew some conductive thread into the tips of the index and thumb:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/

I use the EVO's bluetooth to drive a Sena SMH10 headset, sounds great and others seem to have no problems hearing me.

I've got a setup that works pretty well for me with an Evo 4G for nav and tunes, I'm pretty sure it's the same type of screen as the Droid:

This cradle:

https://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078052085/Default.aspx

I keep a couple sammich bags on the bike in case it rains, you can still use the EVO's screen through it. I have it mounted to the left grip and run the charger into the glove box.

For the gloves you can sew some conductive thread into the tips of the index and thumb:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/

I use the EVO's bluetooth to drive a Sena SMH10 headset, sounds great and others seem to have no problems hearing me.
The ram mount looks great. I am going to try the conductive thread too.

Don

AEROstich has a set of elk skin touch screen gloves for the tidy sum of 57$. Part # 429.

I bought a large Ram box on sale,the thing is cavernous and way too big for me. I used the medium size without the membrane and it worked just fine,just keep some ziploks in the pocket.I used it on a 1200 miler but did not use it much for fear of using up the battery-did buy a backup battery in case.

Hmmm, I bought the accy. kit for my Droid X and it has a car dock with a suction cup and a car charger. I tried it on the speedo glass just to see and it stuck very well. From there I could run the car charger to the glove box, no problem. Google maps shows MPH, so blocking the speedo wouldn't be an issue. Or I could use my Garmin 2720 and not worry about breaking my phone! I might try it out just to see if it works though, the Garmin doesn't have bluetooth. I would worry about the vibrations taking a toll on the phone after a while.

https://store.androidcentral.com/motorola-window-mount/3A78A7275.htm

This is the mount.

Last edited by a moderator: