Dropped Her, Again!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Well, dropped her again! In the garage, again! 23 degrees at 0700 yesterday morning and I’m sitting on Maxine letting the engine warm up – didn’t have my gloves on, put on my left glove and sure enough the right one slid off onto the floor by my right leg. Hmmmm, unhook the Widder, shutdown, get off and get my glove OR carefully lean down and pick it up – I’ve done that before. Yup, leaned over, oops gotta compensate to the left, did so, got my glove, straightened up and found that I may have compensated juuuuuust a little too much – over she went. Hmmm, tip over shutoff didn’t activate so I hit the kill switch. Stood there and stared for a minute to see if that helped, nope. So, I took the opportunity to practice the ole back up to the bike, one hand on the left grip, one on the rear grab handle and straighten your legs – worked like a champ! Just have to be careful to keep it from going over on the other side!

Second time now, both in the garage, one with the engine on, one with it off, one with saddlebags off and one with them on. Number 1 (engine off/no bags) resulted in broken right mirror and my R&G slider had to be replaced (it worked). Number 2 (engine on/bags on) resulted in slight scuff to bottom edge of left saddlebag – that’s it!. Having the bags on kept the bike from rocking over on the slider and whacking the mirror.

What did I learn, 1) I’ll put my gloves on before I “mount” (almost always do) 2) If I need to pick something up I’ll shutdown and get the heck off! BTW, I used the Novus scratch remover and the scuff is almost gone. 3) Stay out of the garage! Last night I went out to the garage to put something in the car and looked at Maxine – I can’t prove this, but I swear Maxine’s headlights gave me that, “You’re friggin’ killin’ me here Nancy” look!

I shook it off, hit my coffee shop in Fredericksburg where I read a couple of chapters of “Sport Bike Riding Techniques” by Nick Iantech (sp) and then went for about a 2 hour ride. Did I mention how much I love my Avon Storm tires!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Number 2 (engine on/bags on) resulted in slight scuff to bottom edge of left saddlebag – that’s it!.
Which means that you left those fugly old red reflectors on your bags. ;) They make great sacrificial tip over guards. Glad to hear that there was minimal damage!

Reminds me of one of the points in the MSF class......... put on all gear before getting on bike!

Hope I remember to do this from now on after reading your post.

Glad the damage was small.

Glad the damage was small.

Found a new scratch on right bag last week where a freinds multi strada was leaning on my bike from the kickstand sinking in the dirt.

Stuff happens.

Glad it was no worse. It could always be worse. Heck, I dropped mine with no good excuse while sitting on it in Lowes parking lot...not moving...on a Saturday morning...with a gazillion spectators.

Nah, not the sidestand - it was up and I was sitting/standing there on her letting her warm up.

Bummer, Jim.

So far (knock on wood), I haven't dropped mine in the garage. But, I did "ding" the right side bag by brushing it against the garage door frame while walking it out of the garage. The scrapes did polish out though.

As a side note, I have an electrical switch plate that I use under the side stand that I use on gravel or soft asphalt parking. The first time I used it, I geared-up and sat on the bike...wondering how the hell am I going to pick that thing up??? And, almost dropped the bike, as you did, leaning over to grab it. Now, I use a fluorescent lime green string attached to the electrical plate that hooks over the left grip.

Nah, not the sidestand - it was up and I was sitting/standing there on her letting her warm up.
On a serious note, I'll swear that you just aren't as attentive in cold weather. I think it slows down you common sense meter or something. The extra clothes don't help either in that they restrict movement, maybe even distract from the little feedback sensations that help you balance the bike.

Did you ever think that maybe the your bike was throwing you off because it did not want to go out of the garage in such COLD weather. :cold:

Bummer, Jim.
So far (knock on wood), I haven't dropped mine in the garage. But, I did "ding" the right side bag by brushing it against the garage door frame while walking it out of the garage. The scrapes did polish out though.

As a side note, I have an electrical switch plate that I use under the side stand that I use on gravel or soft asphalt parking. The first time I used it, I geared-up and sat on the bike...wondering how the hell am I going to pick that thing up??? And, almost dropped the bike, as you did, leaning over to grab it. Now, I use a fluorescent lime green string attached to the electrical plate that hooks over the left grip.
Jim

Sorry about the dump...guess it could have been worse.

Brazos,

I've been using one of these Cyclefoot kickstand plates (Cyclefeets?)for years. Attach a length of good cord and a small plastic snap (available at hdwe store key dept) to other end. Attach snap to a wire or cable near left grip so you don't forget it. Packs nicely inside glove box. Rugged but not brittle plastic, won't scratch anything. Many dealers carry them.

https://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/pro...REET%20PRODUCTS

Jim,

Soooo sorry to hear about the drop. I definitely feel your pain!

I'm convinced that screwdriver dip should come in Galazy Blue so that I can dip my side bags in it.

Jeff

Well, if you're going to do the drop thing, 0 mph is a whole lot better than 100 mph, or so I'm told. Where is Skooter when you need him? :rolleyes:

Have you considered rubber matting on the garage floor. :rolleyes: A little cushion couldn't hurt....especially if you are going to habitually pursue this activity. :dribble:

<_< Sorry about the drop but "IT" happens. Here's what I do with all my bikes to lessen the chance of a drop.

1. Park it in 1st gear on the side stand.

2. Load bike & insert key in key hole.

3. Put on all gear & plug in "electrics" if U have them. They won't drain the battery that quick.

4. Leaving the bike on the sidestand (defective or not), mount the bike, while squeezing the front brake. With my top six layers of vest, 3 jackets, shirt & tee and bibs & insulated jeans I might have to step on the left peg to swing my leg over but the bike is not going to move on me.

5. Streighten bike, raise side stand & back out of garage, trying not to scrape other bikes or garage door & back around so bike is pointing down drive.

6. Close garage door with remote in pocket.

7. Shift to neutral.

8. Turn key on (see step #2)

9. Squeez clutch

10. Start bike & instantly shift into 1st gear & ride off.

Notice how bike jerks when shifting into 1st after a warm up-It won't jerk if U shift into 1st instantly after it starts. "Warm Up?" Let it "Warm Up" when U are riding it, just don't go over 3 grand till the first temp bar lites up. My friend , and best tech writer I've known, Gordon Jennings, agreed w/me that a warm up on a street bike is one of the worse things that U can do to your bike. All that rich mixture and little load on rings to help them seal, and it's hard on the plugs too.

Oh Oh, I just watched my avatar so I gotta stop now. The above works for me...Later,,,De :rolleyes:

Last night I went out to the garage to put something in the car and looked at Maxine – I can’t prove this, but I swear Maxine’s headlights gave me that, “You’re friggin’ killin’ me here Nancy” look!
There's a problem here somewhere, just can't put my finger on it. :blink: :)