Dunlap RoadSmart Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
Now I know why I haven't felt as comfortable on these tires as the rest of you.

S6300509.jpg

S6300509.jpg

S6300508.jpg

S6300512.jpg

Nice little eggs on the side. 1 side of the rear

Maybe a 1000 miles on these.

I have never felt comfortable with them and now I know why. Prob been this way since day 1 or shortly there after

Did you hit something with that wheel? The tape and rim look to be scraped in the general area of the 'wave' - could that have hurt the tire?

I'm on my second set and haven't seen anything remotely resembling that. What pressures you running.

My RS tire did the same thing as yours. This was because I screwed up the bead while installing the tire. The reason I screwed it up was because I was doing the technique all wrong on my NoMar machine. First thing.... you shouldn't have use the spoons at all!!! This is what screwed up my first attempt to mount this tire because I used way to much force while spooning the rubber over, thus wrecking the bead. All that is needed for mounting is the "Mount/Demount" bar. Watch this video here: NoMar Video Believe ME>>>>>>>>>>This is the way to do it with the RoadSmart tire.

Steve the owner of Nomar (guy in the video) actually flew out to my house from St Louis and showed me the proper techniques. WHAT A GREAT COMPANY/PERSON!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My RS tire did the same thing as yours. This was because I screwed up the bead while installing the tire. The reason I screwed it up was because I was doing the technique all wrong on my NoMar machine. First thing.... you shouldn't have use the spoons at all!!! This is what screwed up my first attempt to mount this tire because I used way to much force while spooning the rubber over, thus wrecking the bead. All you needed to use to mount this tire is the "Mount/Demount" bar. Watch this video here: NoMar Video Believe ME>>>>>>>>>>This is the way to do it with the RoadSmart tire.
Steve the owner of Nomar (guy in the video) actually flew out to my house from St Louis and showed me the proper techniques. WHAT A GREAT COMPANY/PERSON!!
Nice tool. Now I want to see him inflate that tire with no valve stem installed :yahoo:

No hits,
I screwed the tape up learning the No-mar
The fact that the tire damage is in the same area that you were having trouble with the "No Mar" lever makes one suspicious that the tire was damaged during install.

There haven't been any other reports of bulging sidewalls on roadsmarts and lots of folks are using them. I'm jus sayin'... :rolleyes:

I may have done something similar to my PR2 while putting it on. It has a bit of vibration above 85, but it may also require some more balancing beads (only put 1oz. up front). Don't notice any deformity yet, and it keeps me out of heinous speed territory, heinous being a term I was told by a CHP officer the other day.

We weren't having an unscheduled roadside chat at the time. He had flown his helicopter out to give us some interaction training, and mentioned that the heinous speeders are pretty much the only speeders they go after in it. With a top speed of 150 and the ability to beeline, I won't be trying to run from them....

No hits,
I screwed the tape up learning the No-mar
The fact that the tire damage is in the same area that you were having trouble with the "No Mar" lever makes one suspicious that the tire was damaged during install.

There haven't been any other reports of bulging sidewalls on roadsmarts and lots of folks are using them. I'm jus sayin'... :rolleyes:
I am not tossing this out of the realm of possibilities.

The tape was done on a Strada "E" spec tire, not this one.

and there are more than one egg areas.

Should a tire "rip the cords" in a manual mounting environment?

I have shot an email to Dunlap and will follow up with a response if/when I get it

Dunlops Reply

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your concerns with the condition of your Dunlop Roadsmart motorcycle tire. We suggest presenting the tire to the location from which it was purchased for inspection. The retailer should be able to determine the cause of the condition of the tire and then can let you know if the tire falls within Dunlop Limited Warranty guidelines. Should there be any questions, please have the salesperson contact our Consumer Affairs Dept. at 800-845-8378. Representatives are available weekdays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Eastern time.
I took it to Cycle Gear today, They gave me a new tire, mounted and balanced for free. Said they would deal with Dunlop on any issues.

Cycle Gear Is Awsome :clapping: :yahoo:

The had 4 splits in it with the cord showing. The splits occurred at the lip where it went from outside to inside the tire. So this prob did occure in mounting. The tire guy said he had seen this before in OLD tires that were close to dry-rot and they ripped in the de-mount stage but never the mount stage

Good for you Fencer! Cycle Gear is usually pretty good about returns etc. At least you have a new rubber.

All around good story, I just love a happy ending. Awesome that you got a new skin for your bike gratis. I was also a bit concerned if it had been a manufacturing defect, as I have one of those bad boys on the back right now too. ;)

[edit] - as some other folks mentioned when these tires first came out, they are a bit tricky to mount as the sidewalls are stiff and you have to make a concerted effort to get the off side centered in the rim's well before levering the bead on.