Dunlop or Bridgestone???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Desert Rider

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have to get a new tire. Which one do you all reccomend? My choices at my local shop are Dunlop or Bridgestone. I could use your veteran advice![/SIZE]

Thanks!

Which model tires? What do you have on the front?

Personally they both suck, but if you need one until you can get the right tire, go for the cheapest so you can get home if you are stranded.

Then put on a set of Michelin PR2's.

EDIT: Just saw it was your local shop. Disregard the stranded part. No Comment on Bridgestone or Dunlop. I don't run either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between the two choices you list, for the rear, get the Bridgestone 021. It's a decent, dual compound tire and can last 10k, depending on riding style. The caveat on the wear is it will look like it's only got 1k left for about 3k. That harder compound in the center just stays the same for a while.

The front 021 completely sucks.

The rear Dunlap starts out ok, but wears funky and doesn't last as long as the Bridgestone. At least that was my experience.

Next time order a set of tires online, before you need them. You'll save lots of cash, and have a better selection.

Yeah, I finally broke down and started buying the tires on line, then taking my wheels and the tires to the shop for mounting. They only charge $25/wheel.

Get the Michelins!

I was stuck with that choice last summer. I opted for the newer Dunlop Roadsmarts. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be as happy with them as the PR2's, but, so far they're working out fine. I ride in all temps and haven't had any inconsistant wearing issues. They're a multi-compound tire, btw. They also handle pretty good too.

I did have a problem getting the front tire to balance properly, it took several attempts to get it dialed in. Not sure if it was the tire, rim, or machine.....

[SIZE=12pt]Hey Thanks everybody!![/SIZE]

I realize that my topic was thrust into the never ending pointless recurring threads forum. I apologize for not doing better research and looking in the archives before asking this question. I got "stuck" having to by a new rear tire. I just got home with my bike from picking it up in Illinois and took my wife for a ride Saturday. When we got back I noticed the radials sticking out in spots. I asked a neighbor what he thought and his opinion was something he had done in the past. He sold a bike but before the guy came to pick it up he did what he had always wanted to do... He grabbed a handful of front brake and sat on the throttle while letting the nice white smoke fill the air.

Needless to say, I believe that is what the guy did before I got there. There was a ton of tread depth left on the outer edges of the tires. Very deep and clean, but the center of the rear was worn way down! So... I ended up with what my budget allowed me to do, I got the Shinko tire and at the first of August I am going to order the Michelin PR2's to everyone's reccomendation and get my local shop to swap both front and rear. I will keep the Shinko for a back up.

Thanks again and I won't bother with a pointless thread until I have searched the archives!!

You all are great!! :clapping: