Dunlop Road Smart's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleddoc

Reaction score
Has anybody installed a set of Dunlop Road Smart Tires on there FJR and put a few miles on them. If you have what do you think of them ???

Last edited by a moderator:
They are fine... for about 3500 miles, then they go to hell. Fronts wear unevenly, or I should say, into three flat bands, one in the center and one on each side. Cupping, etc too. Rears tend to wear faster after 3500 or so too. I did get 7k or so from the front, but wasn't liking the last 2k much. Pulled the rear early.

I'm sure you'll get more data from others.

They are fine... for about 3500 miles, then they go to hell. Fronts wear unevenly, or I should say, into three flat bands, one in the center and one on each side. Cupping, etc too. Rears tend to wear faster after 3500 or so too. I did get 7k or so from the front, but wasn't liking the last 2k much. Pulled the rear early.
Thanks, I have 8500 on my B-020's and the front started cupping at about 3500 and the rear tread is almost gone in the center, close to replacement. I liked Dunlop's on my Honda for years. The 020's are not bad but the front cupping at 3500 is not good. The cupping hasn't gotten any worse but you can hear it when you lay it over in a turn.

The 020s are notorious for the cupping, but a nice consistent tire at a decent price. The 021 that replaces it has similar to the Roadsmart funky front wear and sucks. The rear 021 is dual compound and runs fine to 10k, but it's hard to tell how much life is left the last 3k or so, as it looks like it's got 1k, and 1k later it looks the same.

I have 4,000 on my RSs-- 3,000 put on a couple of weeks ago. Appear to be about half gone, normal, but even wear. 8.000 to 8,500 miles all I ever get out of any brand of tire.

The only issue I really had with the roadsmarts was..... the front tire had a strange wear pattern where it seemed like raised ridge on the center of the tire. Many others had the same issue. Kind of funky for corning, but the rear did great. I have PR2's right now, not totally sold on those either. I think I have a balancing issue, otherwise they are fine.

I pulled my RS's for a new set of PR2's to go to BC. I still have them and will reinstall them to finish them off.

That being said, I won't be buying another set. PR2's for me. Nicer turn in, and so far are wearing great (about 3k on them now). The RS's sidewall is incredibly stiff and found they ride like shit compared to the PR2's. Just my experience.

Very similar experience. Great for 3000 mi and then they get the 3 flat bands and my front wore faster than the rear which is very unusual for me. Suffered thru another 2000 miles of shitty handling and replaced with PR2's.

Very similar experience. Great for 3000 mi and then they get the 3 flat bands and my front wore faster than the rear which is very unusual for me. Suffered thru another 2000 miles of shitty handling and replaced with PR2's.
Thanks everyone for your input, there are quite a few riders like the PR2's on this bike, I will soon be one of them.

Dave.

I went through 2 sets of Dunlop Road Smarts. 5k both front and back on both sets. I dont know what people are doing but both of my sets wore evenly front to back and left to right. Wore them almost smooth. They are a good performance tire but a little extra wear. Solid in the twisties until about 3/4 warn then they get a little iffy. Good in the rain with moderate tread life. A little buzzy in the front but over all a smooth riding tire. I just went over to the Michelin and I am not overly impressed with it. They are average in the twisties but if you push it, it will push back. Ive had some slipping were the Dunlop had no issue. I use the FJR as my every day vehicle so I need longer tread life and I am willing to loose a little stickyness to do that.

Personal opinion, the Dunlops today are not what they were back in the 80's and 90's. I loved the Dunlops on my FJ1200's. The Road Smarts are a solid all around tire with good not great performance on the FJR and average wear for moderate to hard riding. If you want a performance tire these arent it. If you want a commuter tire these arent it. If you want a good all around tire and you can get a good deal on them then go for it.

Has anybody installed a set of Dunlop Road Smart Tires on there FJR and put a few miles on them. If you have what do you think of them ???
I'm on my third set of Roadsmarts. I get about 7,000 on a set, and the last 1,500 miles or so don't "turn in" as nice as new tires. Few brands do I suppose. Yes, the front wears at the same rate as the rear, or even a bit faster if you brake into corners ("trail brake") -- or let the pressure drop below 40psi. On the other hand, I completely trust the front tire, it sticks well on cold or hot pavement and works well in the rain. I also like changing front and rear at the same time.

WWWobble

Just finishing my 2nd set of RS. Looking for my next set, but it wont be Roadsmart. as others have said, I got only about 3500 miles out of them and the odd wear on the front makes the last miles feel like crap.

Wore out my Roadsmarts after 4k miles. A little more was left on the rear but the front was toast. Started getting a front end wobble on the way back from CFR. Since the bike needed a routine service, shop checked it and determined the front tire was the culprit (yes, the wheel was properly balanced). New Michelins on it now and the wobble is gone.

That's pretty much my experience too.

I had liked the new Qualifier on the ZX-14 and was very happy with it.

I hoped the Roadsmart would be the spottouring successor to the D205 that the Q was to the D208.

At around 3,000 miles, still with plenty of tread left - the front just went away. Lost it's good feel. Got the wavy cuppage as the miles went on as well, and though the pair lasted a good number of miles before they were into the wear bars, they had crap feel and feedback for the last couple thou.

I went from BT-020, Roadsmart, Avon Storm, to BT-021's...which were just mounted today, and the wheels put back on the bike. Zero miles yet.

Roadhammer here, I have just put on new roadsmarts replacing the old roadsmarts. Loved the tires. After a trip to ca from fla and trips to eastern az and the blueridge and here in fl I had 7574 miles with at least 1500 left on the skins. I like em; they are good int rain and feel up to the bikes performance. By the way I ride with my beloved almost everywhere. Still good performance. Tire cost from Barney,s in St Petersburg,fl were: frt 115.00

rear 130.00

try em you will like em

regards Roadhammer

In regards,

Some of you here know that I pretty much push my tires beyond their abilities every chance I get...

Here in MN... Our roads don't seem to chew up the tires as hard as some other states...

I just pulled my front PR2... Had almost 15,000 miles on it!! It was into the wear bars but had hardly any cupping and

still tracked straight and even (no wobbles while going no handed).

My last PR2 rear was done around 10,000 miles. Nothing new about rears burning up quicker than fronts.

These tires have been (By Far) the best wet/dry sticking, handling and even wearing sport tourering tires I have ever run.

WW