Electro Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this has been asked a million times...I'm electrically challenged.

Since I can't ride my bike, I mize well fiddle with it.

I want to permanently install an Autocom unit and a little amp, under the seat. The battery/fuse block is in an inconvenient area, and routing wires back under the gas tank seems like a chore.

Since neither the Autocom nor the little amplifier draw much power, can I snip a switched wire, say, the tail light wire, and splice in to it with the hot wires for the two units...or better yet, tap into the wire with an auxiliary fused connector (block) that I can then use to wire up the two units?

And then ground the two units to the frame?

Having access to power under the seat would be great.

Thanks.

Seems risky to me. Yamaha tends to size their wires for the amount of draw of the circuit and you run the risk of melting something or popping fuses if you add draw....unless you actually do the math of how much an Autocom and amp draw. Do you really know? And how much do the tail light draw and how much is the circuit rated.?

I think running a wire from the battery to a fuse block under the seat (especially on an '06) makes sense and is a good project for a first-timer. It really isn't that hard.

I think lifting the tank is easier than taking the panels off to be honest.

I'd actually look at the FJRTech.com article on cylometer installation for running a wire under the tank--especially the last two pictures combined with the fuse block article expect placing it under the seat.

I think you'll find that if you get a power point under the seat you'll find it helpful for more than just your amp and Autcom. You'll think of other stuff you want to power later and be ahead of the game.

Since neither the Autocom nor the little amplifier draw much power, can I snip a switched wire, say, the tail light wire, and splice in to it with the hot wires for the two units...or better yet, tap into the wire with an auxiliary fused connector (block) that I can then use to wire up the two units?
For my baehr unit I tapped into the tail light and it sits under the seat, and seems to work out great. I haven't had any ill effects at all. That being said I do want to add a couple more things this winter and will be doing exactly what Ignacio suggested this winter. I'm adding a power strip up front right now and will be doing another for the rear this winter for the farkles in the rear. I feel the least you tap int the wires directly the better.

MIke

Seems risky to me. Yamaha tends to size their wires for the amount of draw of the circuit and you run the risk of melting something or popping fuses if you add draw....unless you actually do the math of how much an Autocom and amp draw. Do you really know? And how much do the tail light draw and how much is the circuit rated.?
I think running a wire from the battery to a fuse block under the seat (especially on an '06) makes sense and is a good project for a first-timer. It really isn't that hard.

I think lifting the tank is easier than taking the panels off to be honest.

I'd actually look at the FJRTech.com article on cylometer installation for running a wire under the tank--especially the last two pictures combined with the fuse block article expect placing it under the seat.

I think you'll find that if you get a power point under the seat you'll find it helpful for more than just your amp and Autcom. You'll think of other stuff you want to power later and be ahead of the game.
THANKS, this is really a big help, exactly what I wanted. Being new to the FJR, i was unaware of the warchile articles.

The FJRTech article refers to asphalt loom available at NAPA stores, but the local store doesn't have it, and it's not on their web site. However, I found a source for it in various diameters. Can someone suggest the most useful size, from 3/16" on up, in 1/16" increments? 100 ft of the 3/16" size is less than $14, plus shipping.

Thx.