Electronic Cruise Control FJR 2006 1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relatively cheap and hideously expensive. The Audiovox Cruise Control kit was the preferred, but they quit selling them. Some Chinese company puts the same kit out nowadays, I think, but I can't recall how to find it. The kit is a generic kit with trillions of parts and fittings you won't need, intended for automotive use but works fine on the bike, lots of us have it. The McCruise is a custom-fitted kit that plugs right in to several points on the harness, has FJR-specific hardware too, but is nearly a grand.

Here is a link to the install on my 06 AE. It took about 3.5 hours to have it installed. LINK

Here is a link to the install on my 06 AE. It took about 3.5 hours to have it installed. LINK
I see you mounted your control pad on the right - I consciously have always put them on the left side on the various bikes I've had them installed on because I am holding the throttle with the right and want a smooth engagement . . . have you had any issues?

I see you mounted your control pad on the right - I consciously have always put them on the left side on the various bikes I've had them installed on because I am holding the throttle with the right and want a smooth engagement . . . have you had any issues?
The left is a better option but I have learned to do it all with my right hand while riding and it is not that big of a deal. I think the whole thing ran me about $500 installed with labor. Works perfectly and accelerates and brakes when needed if I am on a hill. My biggest issue is when I take it to the Yamaha dealer for service and they wonder why the hell I had it installed and told me it would void my warranty if something else went wrong.

I have the McCruise control, it is expensive and it works very well. It functions like the one in your car. All the electrical connections are plug and play to an existing plug on the harness. The most difficult part is disconnecting the OEM throttle cable and connecting their throttle cable. I posted a thread on my installation a couple of years ago, search for threads started by me. Here is a link to the site.

https://www.mccruise.com/

Some other have described their choices as the "preferred" cruise for the FJR, it is, of course, their preference. It certainly was not mine. After three years of use, I still think my McCruise was money well spent.

...Even though I think vacuum controlled devices are archaic it works.
Linkie no workie. You can't successfully link to the search page, dunno if that was an accident.

[opinion]

The McCruise uses and electronic processor and software to control an electric motor to yank on the throttle to manage speed. The Audiovox/Murph's cruise control uses an electronic processor and software to control three vacuum solenoids to yank on the throttle to manage speed. The ability to control and manage the throttle via an electric motor or vacuum is essentially equal in performance and reliability.

In F1 car racing the transmissions used to be shifted using direct mechanical linkages and manually operated friction disks to couple the engine to the transmission. This is now done by indirect electrically operated pneumatic devices -- is this retro-technology and an archaic way to work things?

[/opinion]

Last edited by a moderator:
And my contribution posted here, my full pictorial here.

My control mounted nicely on the left side:

(Click on image for larger view)

...Even though I think vacuum controlled devices are archaic it works.
Linkie no workie. You can't successfully link to the search page, dunno if that was an accident.

[opinion]

The McCruise uses and electronic processor and software to control an electric motor to yank on the throttle to manage speed. The Audiovox/Murph's cruise control uses an electronic processor and software to control three vacuum solenoids to yank on the throttle to manage speed. The ability to control and manage the throttle via an electric motor or vacuum is essentially equal in performance and reliability.

In F1 car racing the transmissions used to be shifted using direct mechanical linkages and manually operated friction disks to couple the engine to the transmission. This is now done by indirect electrically operated pneumatic devices -- is this retro-technology and an archaic way to work things?

[/opinion]
Sorry. Here's the correct link.

I have the McCruise control, it is expensive and it works very well. It functions like the one in your car. All the electrical connections are plug and play to an existing plug on the harness. The most difficult part is disconnecting the OEM throttle cable and connecting their throttle cable. I posted a thread on my installation a couple of years ago, search for threads started by me. Here is a link to the site.

https://www.mccruise.com/

Some other have described their choices as the "preferred" cruise for the FJR, it is, of course, their preference. It certainly was not mine. After three years of use, I still think my McCruise was money well spent.

I have used the McCruise on both a Concours14 and now my FJR. It is by far my preference. Yes they are expensive. But being built for specific bikes. As well as basically being plug and play is another big factor. Then there is a McCruise customer service that is second to none. I screwed up my CC on the C14 by screwing around with the programing. (my fault totally) I sent an email to McCruise in Australia in a panic. (I was leaving on a long trip in the morning)

Well a short while later I get a phone call from Australia (at their cost). They talked me through what I did, and went and changed my screw up in diagnostics back to what it should be. This was probably 6-7AM their time (guessing). My daughter even hung up on them the first time thinking it was a crank phone call. But they called back. They were there for me (right away) when I was in a pinch (that I caused). They helped me fix the problem, free of charge (they even payed for the phone call from Australia). They proved what customer service should strive to be like. I can't recommend them enough.

Oh yeah, did I mention that other than my one screw up. I never had any problems with my McCruise CC's on either the C14 or FJR over quite a few years now. I can't recommend McCruise enough. Yes they are expensive. But worth it in my book. IMO, they are my preferred cruise!

I have an 09 AE that kaitsdad installed an Audiovox CC on last spring (/wave Hal)...my controller is on the right side and Ive had no issues whatsoever with it after a reroute of the vacuum line initially. Its an awesome farkle.

Has anyone tried the throttlemeister? My link
The Throttlemeister is a mechanical throttle lock, the Audiovox and McCruise are dynamic electronic speed controllers that adjust the throttle position to regulate speed.

There should be hundreds of threads from people discussing their use of throttlemeister and the fit/function with different grips, heated grips and various bar-end weights.

I agree with BBAR above with McCruise.. I purchased my McCruise from another FJR owner who sold his FJR before he installed it and he never installed it so it was brand new. I am not mechanical BY ANY MEANS and took some serious time and had questions. I emailed the guys from McCruise and they actually called me three times even though I didn't buy it from them to walk me through the install questions I had. Great customer service and did this over a few weeks in the winter two years ago and love how it works... That is my recommendation. Yes it is more expensive but designed specifically for your bike.

The Rostra works perfectly on my '06.....set up as recommended on this forum and most importantly [for my bike] with the dark blue tach wire disconnected and grounded.. @ $200 with control pad...

This all sounds good..... Any chance of any of these working on a Gen 1 bike?? I have an 04 that has no miles (16,000 km's) and would really hate to trade it for a newer bike if I can fit one of these up. Suggestions???

TIA,

Neil