Emergency!!!y FJR won't start!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamazuki

Reaction score
I had to travel to South America and when I'm finally back,I tried to start up my bike,no luck!!!

Can't belive it!

My trusty FJR finally gave me a problem after 13,500 of non stop fun!

Here's the description:

-It will try to start,that is,the starter motor will spin,but it will not fire up.

-It will,however,fire a couple of coughs once in a while...

-It does have gas coming down the line,and the fuel pump is working...

-The problem is electrical,I see no spark on the spark plug,and when it does cough,at the same time I see some ocassional spark... <_<

-I reseat all avalible connectors under the gas tank area,cleaned them with contact cleaner,I founded a corroded conector and cleaned it,thinking I had the smoking gun,but still no spark... :angry:

-The (2) 15 amp fuses that feeds the ignition coils are OK...

-I traced back to the fuse box,everything is OK there,I even reseat and cleaned all fuse contacts,still no spark... :angry:

I really need to know where exactly the cables to the ignition coils are coming from...and if there is any kind of safety switch that will kill the ignition...actually,a good ol' service manual would be great!!

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Anyone had the same problem?

Are there any threads over that topic?

I know it has to be a bad connetion somewhere,my FJR was kicking arse before,I just leaved it unattended for some weeks....

I want to RIDE!!!!!! B)

No code ? This has happened before, IIRC it was a Throttle Position Sensor. If its not being read by the ECU, it won't send spark. Others who are more learned than I should be along to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there done that.

Go get yourself a new set of spark plugs. Install them. Now, do this, in THIS order: key off, kill switch on(ready to run), open throttle wide open, turn key, keep throttle open til fuel pump stops, hit starter switch.

It will fire up. You may get a bang out one or both mufflers.

No code ? This has happened before, IIRC it was a Throttle Position Sensor. If its not being read by the ECU, it won't send spark. Others who are more learned than I whould be along to post.
Code?

Hmmm.... have to check,I saw nothing strange on the LCD,although I wasn't really looking.. :blink: ....I am right now re-charging the battery after too many start attemps,the last few attemps everything just shut off when the battery got loaded... <_<

Where is that throttle position sensor anyway?Is it a potenciometer that gets turned by the throttle cable?

Been there done that.
Go get yourself a new set of spark plugs. Install them. Now, do this, in THIS order: key off, kill switch on(ready to run), open throttle wide open, turn key, keep throttle open til fuel pump stops, hit starter switch.

It will fire up. You may get a bang out one or both mufflers.
now were talkin' :D :D :D :D

any service manuals to hack? ;)

The only time I had this happen I turned the key on, let the fuel pump run, then turn it off and do it again. Do this about 15-20 times, then try starting it. If that doesnt work, then pull throttle, push ignition button.

MrVvrroommYou were right on the money!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Although I didn't had new spark plugs,I took out the existing ones,and gave them my little ol' way of cleaning them,put them back and...

Vvrroomm!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You saved my friggin weekend!!

**Yamazuki bouts**

MrVvrroommYou were right on the money!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Although I didn't had new spark plugs,I took out the existing ones,and gave them my little ol' way of cleaning them,put them back and...

Vvrroomm!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You saved my friggin weekend!!

**Yamazuki bouts**
Yeah, I wasted a whole weekend discovering what I just told you. I was in a severe panic 2 days before a big cross-country trip. Perhaps this should be a sticky? LOL

Anyway, glad it helped. Glad you're running.