Engage your brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastern5

Reaction score
So last week heading out in the evening I almost rear ended another motorcyclist, while driving my car. Let me explain. It's dark, limited street light, 45mph limit, minimal traffic both ways. The motorcyclist was at a T waiting to make a left. The motorcyclist did not use the turn signal, did not engage his brakes and his running lights were on but super dim, like some cheap aftermarket stuff but in any case the guy on the motorcycle was not visible until too close for my comfort. Maybe it's a combination of stuff but I know i have seen guys at intersections waiting and while waiting not engaging their brakes. And yes I have done this myself, but honestly night time ridding is far and few for me but I will remember to engage my brakes, turn signal. Oh and T-CLOCS

I always shake my head when I come across people like that who seem to have a death wish. I'm guessing it was a Harley rider who had customized his bike with a minimal tail light that looks better but only works marginally? I also come across people walking with traffic at their backs on dark roads while wearing dark clothes! They can only hope that the motorists they meet will be enlightened motorcycle riders because we tend to be VERY observant and will avoid hitting dummies.

With that said, I ride a lot in the dark and often rain at the same time. I do live in Seattle, after all. ;) I generally keep turn signals on if appropriate and my foot on the brake. Because I'm always watching my 6 when stopped until a few cars have stopped behind me, I will also tap the brakes a couple times when I see a car approaching to increase visibility. It helps to have that eye popping 3M reflective strip along the back on my Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and the reflective decals on the back of the sidebags.

There are also those ricer guys that change out their stock tail lights for the tinted lenses so the bike "Looks Better"

Some people are just stooooopid...... I don't think it was your fault OP....

I seriously don't like when people in cages ride my ass so I am constantly lighting up my brake lights just to make myself even more visible.

You really can't have enough lights at night.... reflective gear, and those reflective stickers on the bags are priceless IMO....

Posting pic for those that don't know about them...

https://www.realtimeindustries.com/fjr1300-reflective-rear-bag-decals/

%24_1.JPG

Stay Safe out there gentlemen.....

's why I don't understand "integrating" the rear signals into a tiny, single tail light. No way anyone beyond about 30' is going to see the indicator.

I gots me some RTI bag decals too.

One of my biggest fears is getting hit from behind. I always tap my brakes a few times and keep a close watch. Been thinking about getting some more hyperlites.

Some years back, I was rear ended at a stop light and knocked into the intersection, landed with the bike pinning me to the blacktop, some idiot in a BMW cage. Luckily, no one was in front of me at the light or I might not have walked away from that one. Now my bikes have Whelens and Hyper Lites on the back. Whenever I'm stopped at a light now, when I see someone approaching from the rear, I disengage and re engage the brakes to make sure they see me - and they know I see them.

One of the first things I did was put on the RealTime 3M reflective decals on the bags, and a Whelen TIR3 light with flash pattern and Admore lights on the top case. If you miss that, you're truly unconscious, but i still don't underestimate the average cage driver to make a mistake. I hate making a left on a high traffic area.

Lots of cruisers here in PA, and many have very limited lighting from behind. I have been surprised to be closing on a motorcycle poorly lit, or in one case, unlit from the rear.

Lots of sport bikes do away with the factory tail lights because "They don't look good" and they go with some aftermarket trash that barely (if at all) meets the legal definition of a taillight. I do not get it, but it is actually the majority here.

I am also a big fan of the RealTimeIndustries reflectors. That is the cheapest and most effective safety add on I can think of. In fact I just ordered another set for a Christmas gift. Not many safety add ons are so inconspicuous.

I also have RTI decals on the bags, but rarely have them on the bike. I've added Hyperlites, and have them flash 7 seconds before going steady. While at the AIMExpo last October, I came across another brake light. It's call Lightning Strike, and this one will have you seeing spots floating around after looking at it. It's 3 VERY bright LEDs behind clear plastic that looks like projectors. It only flashes for about 2 seconds, then goes off. In conjunction with my Hyperlites, I feel real confident I can be seen by Stevie Wonder now! 😎

The other thing the hooligans like to do is put in 8-dollar LED kits. They're not even visible in the daylight, and I've seen them that don't even use brighter LEDs for brake lights, they just light more of them up. Worst thing is, they send NO light more than 10 or 15 degrees away from straight out.

I have Whelen Strip-Lites (96 LED's) on the rear of my bikes. Center is brake, outer amber turn signals. The new Admore large light bar is similar, but has cooler sequential signals......

Next to a left hand turner in front of me being rear-ended is a big concern. Years ago a co-worker was rear-ended at a stop. He lived but his pelvis was broke in addition to a lot of internal injuries that ended his riding days. I too have installed the RTI reflective decals. I also have the run/brake/turn Hyperlites but without the flashing. On top of that I have an LED brake light in my small Givi top box and I still tap the brakes when at a stop.

A few months back I've just stopped at a stop sign for maybe two seconds, just barely enough time to look left and right. Then I hear tires squealin and glance to the right rear. Some dickwad in a big black jacked up pickup had managed to wake up just in time to avoid killing me. This is despite the fact that it's daylight and I'm wearing Hi-Vis gear. A shiver went through me when it sunk in on just how close I just came to serious damage and perhaps worse. At next intersection at a red light he's stopped to my right and he rolls the window down and I hear a low and deep "Sooorry".

That's the kind of ride experience that I never share with my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Whelen brake light with a flasher unit that gives three quick flashes then steady on. It is bright enough to demand attention even in bright sunlight. I also have LEDs in my Givi bag, but they are not even noticeable once the Whelen lights up.

Hm, worst fear is to be hit from behind? Dot your "I's" and cross your "T's".

once is curious.......................twice is queer.

I also use a Whelen TIR3. I love that light. Ask anyone who has followed me, and they'll tell you it is bright. I still watch my mirrors though, you never know exactly how important that Facebook post or text message they're reading really is.

Lights:

All of the above is why I think having FZ1 mirrors are a safety feature worth having. Before coming to a stop I'm already checking my "6" to be sure the drivers behind me are doing the same. I try to always position my stopped bike in the lane so that there is a space ahead somewhere (between cars or over to the shoulder) so I can dart there if need be. And I never shift into neutral, just hold the clutch in. And I keep an eye on the mirrors until there are more than 2 cars stopped behind me. Just one or two isn't enough because a car or truck going full speed can plow the stopped car(s) into you.

Also a big fan of the Whelen LIN3 and 3rd Brake Light Flasher combo and have that on both FJR and Vstrom. RTI reflectors on the back of the bags too.

I really don't think you can make yourself too conspicuous. This game is for keeps.

I use the stock Givi lighting, which amounts to a high, wide third running light. Part of the visibility problem is that the average taillight on a bike is so low. I'm very tempted to get the RTI reflectors, but am concerned about how they'd look during daylight hours.

Last edited by a moderator: