engine light coming on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
Is there a way I can check any codes that might be stored? I was on a ride last weekend and my check engine light would come and then a few miles later it would turn off. Then it would turn on again, then off. So on and so on. I just had it in to the dealership for the 2 yr maintanence and they didn't say anything. I do plan on calling them, but I was hoping to arm myself with some info before I do.

From the Gen II "Bin-O-Facts":

Diagnostic Mode:

(Appears to be the same for '03 - '05)

To enter Diagnostic Mode: Have the key turned off (kill switch on) and press the Select and Reset together. Turn the key to on and hold the buttons for about 8 seconds. A screen will apear that reads "d1 AG". release the buttons.

(so far, same as prior models)

Use the "SELECT" select "Co" adjustment or the diagnostic mode "d1 AG". Press Select and Reset for 2 seconds. "d:01" should appear on the clock if you did everything right.

Press "SELECT" for the next code, Press "RESET" for the previous code.

Codes go from d:01 to d:70 -- go buy a manual for the codes.

Note: Lean Angle Sensor (Overturned Motorcycle) Fault code: 30

Scroll through the diagnostic codes to:

61 (the history of fault codes). If you see a 0 at the bottom right then there are no trouble codes. However if you see a number 30 that is the code for an over turned motorcycle. If you have the code 30 and want to erase it. Press the select button and go to number 62 (erase history code). Then turn the kill switch off, then back on again. This will erase this and any other codes stored in the memory. Then turn the key off to go back to normal operations. If you have any more codes I suggest you order the big book from FJR Goodies to problem solve or take it to your dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly which light is coming on? Can it be the oil level indicator?
Nope, it is the "Engine Trouble Warning Light"

I went through the diagnostic steps, and code 32 shows up. Can anyone tell me what that means?

Exactly which light is coming on? Can it be the oil level indicator?
Nope, it is the "Engine Trouble Warning Light"

I went through the diagnostic steps, and code 32 shows up. Can anyone tell me what that means?
"32 : O2 sensor (compensation stuck to lower limit)"

Which presumeably means a problem with the O2 sensor. Shouldn't affect general riding. Check the connector and wiring.

I was on a ride last weekend and my check engine light would come and then a few miles later it would turn off. Then it would turn on again, then off.
code 32 shows up. Can anyone tell me what that means?
"32 : O2 sensor (compensation stuck to lower limit)"Which presumeably means a problem with the O2 sensor. Shouldn't affect general riding. Check the connector and wiring.
Was it raining (when you were riding and the light came-on) -- especially, heavy rain?

If so, it may be a 'normal' situation -- as the extra oxygen in the air/rain may tend to "confuse" the 02 sensor.

If not (raining), 'mcatrophy's advice to: " Check the connector and wiring" is pertinent, imo.

"32 : O2 sensor (compensation stuck to lower limit)"Which presumeably means a problem with the O2 sensor. Shouldn't affect general riding. Check the connector and wiring.

Was it raining (when you were riding and the light came-on) -- especially, heavy rain?

If so, it may be a 'normal' situation -- as the extra oxygen in the air/rain may tend to "confuse" the 02 sensor.

If not (raining), 'mcatrophy's advice to: " Check the connector and wiring" is pertinent, imo.
It was not raining, in the beginning anyway. The second day it was, but i doubt that matters cause it started when the sun was out. Riding wasn't affected.

I do not have O2 sensor plugged in at all. I installed a full muzzy exhaust system and a pc3 which tells me to unplug it. I read that this does not cause the light to come on. But it seems it may. Is this something I'll just have to live with then?

Seems odd though that it took over 5000 miles of riding with it unplugged before it finally came on.

Is there a way I can check any codes that might be stored? I was on a ride last weekend and my check engine light would come and then a few miles later it would turn off. Then it would turn on again, then off. So on and so on. I just had it in to the dealership for the 2 yr maintanence and they didn't say anything. I do plan on calling them, but I was hoping to arm myself with some info before I do.
Exactly the same problem I had a few months ago, except mine would stumble around 4k - 5k revs (difficult to feel sometimes, but there) when it happened.

Bad 02 sensor was the diagnosis, but turned out there was a problem in one of the multi pin conns at the wiring loom.

Hope this helps

I also run a PCIII with the 02 sensor disconnected. I have 50,000 miles with that set-up and and have not seen the code that you are seeing. I suspect that it is something other than the PCIII/disconected sensor that is triggering the code.

I also run a PCIII with the 02 sensor disconnected. I have 50,000 miles with that set-up and and have not seen the code that you are seeing. I suspect that it is something other than the PCIII/disconected sensor that is triggering the code.
Any idea what else it could possibly be?

For now, I'm think I'm going to clear the code and see if it comes back.

I had troubles with the engine management light and eventually couldnt start the bike.

On turnover the light would flash on and off , it turned out that the starter solenoid that also houses the fuel injection fuse and connections had corroded and the block had melted taking out the fuse at the same time .

It is under the top fairing closer to you than the battery .

The trouble in diagnosing it as a fault was that I was getting 5 different error codes displayed and all were ok when checked.

After thinking about it for a while, I found it strange that I put 5k-6k miles on with the new exhaust, but without that light coming on. Then just after I bring it to the dealer for the 2 yr service the light comes on. Of course when I ask the dealer they don't know anything. I started wondering if the friendly service tech saw my unplugged 02 sensor and thought he'd do me a favor and plug it back in for me. So I check, and sure enough. It's plugged back in. Just unplugged it and erased the code, but haven't had time to ride and see if it comes back on. I'm betting that it won't.