Engine oil viscosity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 weight oil has never been recommended for the FJR engines. At various times they have recommended 20w40, 20w50 and 10w40, but never "anything"w30. The significance is that the second number defines how thin the oil will become at nominal operating temperature. The first number describes how thick it gets when the oil is stone cold. No matter what that first number is it will always be much thicker when it is cold.

The second number is the important one as it is what the engine is designed to operate at. The first number only applies to cold starting conditions. That said I would run "anything"w40 or "anything"w50, but would stay away from anything lower than those.

YOMV

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1351110" data-time="1483048543"><p>

30 weight oil has never been recommended for the FJR engines. At various times they have recommended 20w40, 20w50 and 10w40, but never "anything"w30. The significance is that the second number defines how thin the oil will become at nominal operating temperature. The first number describes how thick it gets when the oil is stone cold. No matter what that first number is it will always be much thicker when it is cold. <br />

<br />

The second number is the important one as it is what the engine is designed to operate at. The first number only applies to cold starting conditions. That said I would run "anything"w40 or "anything"w50, but would stay away from anything lower than those.<br />

<br />

YOMV</p></blockquote>

^^^^^^ we have a winner ^^^^^

I have heard a lot of folks say that as long as it's cool out, you are fine with lighter weight oil.

The internal operating temp of the engine is determined by the coolant which is governed by a thermostat.

Now, will it get hotter on hot days, well sure. For a whole host of reasons but he is right. W30 was never recommended. Always w40 or w50.

Will the engine self destruct ? I'd have to say not likely.

But oil viscosity over time degrades. And I'd rather have my w40 degrade to w35 than my (already too thin) w30 degrade down to w25.

Not a conspiracy theorist but definitely one to follow the recommendations of the design engineers as closely as I can.

Just because FJR engines are bulletproof, why press the issue.

Better to press the ham.