EOM 2015 Picture Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EOM was a bit of a dogs breakfast as far as planning went. Line wasn't sure if she could get time off because of an impending strike at work. That combined with not having a clue what the weather was to be like (she doesn't have proper cold/wet weather gear). The plan with just a week remaining was if she couldn't go, I was just gonna ride down like usual. If she could, I decided to trailer it (ugh!) down, that way the weather could be whatever it wanted to be.

Last minute, the strike was averted and it was on. I rented a Uhaul for $23 a day. Holy crap, I can rent a car cheaper than that! The car would weigh less as well. Unladen, the trailer weight was 1297lbs! Throw on a 650lb FJR, and fold up ramp (aka: Air Brake) meant the truck got about 14mpg on the hwy. You guys have cheap gas prices, and 3/4's of a tank down there was like $20. Up here, about $45.

21941027645_8082d471f1_o.jpg

Bah! It's EOM! Lets roll.

We spent the night in Jordan Station just north of Saint Catharines. Not bad for $85 a night.

21319883223_88efcae693_o.jpg

The trip was a breeze, theirs something to be said for traveling in a cage. A little heat, a little AC, some tunes, comfy chairs, no wind noise... But all was not perfect. About 15 miles outside of Lewisburg, in the rain, a power line was down across 60. God bless the young girl who was volunteering FD duty that day. She took a look at my Ontario plates and offered us the fast way, or the simple way, to route around the power line.

"Go back to Rainelle, about 10 miles, and at the CVS, hang a left. Go 4 miles and make a right over James Connaught byway. At the brown cow, not the spotted cow, hang a right. Go up aways and turn on to the highway toward Lewisburg."

Ugh. okay.

By now, it dark, and raining, and I'm almost out of gas. So I stop in Rupert to top up. As I pull out, theirs a steady stream of cars heading back towards Rainelle. All with WV plates. FOLLOW THEM!

Now, I didn't see Connaught, or the CVS, or even a brown cow. But I did see a single lane mountain road with lots of oncoming traffic (routed from the other direction). The only way they could get buy the truck was to practically drop the truck, and trailer wheels, off into the rightside ditch. We finally arrived at Lewisburg after detouring for about 45 minutes. Only to find that one of the 'extra' safety straps I put on the FJR snapped. PHEW! Glad I tied it down with 6 straps!

I didn't even bother unloading it that night as it was just pissing rain.

The next morning, it seems a lot of people were waiting for the rain to stop before heading out. Line was sick (oh ya, she had cold make an appearance the day before we left), so we decided to just go out to Paint Bank for lunch and let her recoup a bit.

We rode out with Andy & Sooz, and Gary via 311. Nice ride. We all grabbed some lunch in the Swinging Bridge Restaurant. I had to really talk Line out of bringing home one of the puppies for my step-daughter France. It was a losing battle until I told her she'd be the one to pick up the poop.

21319881433_d19541ea88_o.jpg

The rest of the day was spent socializing and the banquet. Pre-banquet with Andy in the bar. I think this is what happens when just before you turn into a zombie on the Walking Dead.

(I just noticed in this pic, Andy is wearing FYB's nametag. WTF!?)

21753162328_680968a54d_o.jpg

At some point after this, Line disappeared, I looked all over the place, couldn't find her. Turns out she couldn't find me either. So they decided to take a photo that would get me running. Here's Gerald caught in the act.

21753167058_4c9748cd15_o.jpg

There would be words.

The banquet was great, as usual. I was sitting with Jim and Creta and Roy from NY. Sorry, I forget the other 2 gents names.

21941029255_7656f4f429_o.jpg

Afterwards, was more socializing in the parking lot. That damn zambie wouldn't leave me alone.

21319882803_8641e72e11_o.jpg

I think the Vicks have adopted Line as when of their own. I'm good with that, their good peeps!

21318302674_f7c3b01a60_o.jpg

Turns out Line was kidnapped earlier by this guy to help set up the Banquet stuff.

21752943030_6aff44bc02_o.jpg

The next day, Line and I ran out to the New River Bridge and bumped into the Lakelands while we there. Afterwards we cut across to the Highlands Scenic Hwy then back down 219 to Lewisburg. I haven't seen anybody post pics of the road down the gorge, so I'll skip the pics of the bridge because everybody has posted those up
biggrin.png
The ride down is a bit technical as you can see here. A 180 right hander switch back, the corners are in bad shape, being patches and graveled over the years. More so when they are covered in leaves, two up, in the wet. No big deal, just take your time.

21318300964_08434a7ec3_o.jpg

Coming up the other side.

21950778491_13aa149bc1_o.jpg

The Highlands were socked in with rain and fog, but it did clear up a few times.

21914860916_8026c01d2e_o.jpg

219 is always a treat.

21318298624_9ea70d75bc_o.jpg

After putting in a couple of hundred miles, the remaining stragglers at the hotel got together for dinner. While we were eating, my nobe started rubbing like crazy. Great, I have to drive back with a faucet on my face. I guess I should complain. I got a weekend of West Virginia with a hundred of my friends, and, I get to leak in comfort in the truck for the haul back.

Here's Vic!

21941027095_67166475e1_o.jpg

The haul back was uneventful except it rained pretty hard all the way from Lewisburg to Erie PA. Glad I wasn't on the bike! We drove straight through, sharing driving chores, and rolled home around 10pm after leaving at 7:30am. I slept good that night.
biggrin.png

Until next year, wherever EOM ends up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see you and Line again, Bungie. That was the Sunday dinner with the last of the stragglers. Clocklaw was jonsing for a steak all day. Gotta admit, that steak was pretty damn good. The first bite made me say: Ohhhh Baby! That's always a good sign. :D

It was nice to meet you and your wife, and our chat at the bridge. What were the odds of meeting there? It's good, to finally put faces to forum names. :)

Alan, in your pictures... the round barn isn't a round barn. That really looks like one of the bath houses for Jefferson pools in Warm Springs, VA. Did you come through rte 39 at some point? In warm springs you can walk down to the stream beside the road, & the water is warm no matter what time of the year it is. https://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/warm_springs.asp... or actually Rte 39 & 220 run consecutively for a very short period right in front of the springs.

Alan, in your pictures... the round barn isn't a round barn. That really looks like one of the bath houses for Jefferson pools in Warm Springs, VA...
Thanks Heidi, phixed the caption.

On Rt 220 we stopped within 100' of the Jefferson Pools house to put on rain gear. Me: Look, a round barn like they have in Pennsylvania. Pillion: I don't think so, it's a house of some sort. Me: Looks like a round barn. Pillion: It's someone's house. And, she was right. Again.
smile.png

Just a house of sorts... a bathhouse. Nobody lives there. If they do, they may get the police called on them. You stopped there? Did you stop at the kiosk? There is a covered kiosk there.