EOM GMRS/FRS radio Channel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg E.

Reaction score
Given that there will be a number of folks at EOM 08 w/ GMRS/FRS type raidios on their bikes; should we designate a primary contact chennel? When groups leave for their rides, they could move off to another channel or sub-channel.

-Greg-

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a fan of the Sub channels... Less likely to have interference.

I use 7-7at home with good luck!

Agreed, but there are caveats...

Subchannels are not actually different frequencies. The subchannel is merely a squelch code that prohibits you from hearing anything on channel-X that does not have a matching "squelch code" or subchannel. Someone transmitting on Channel-7 with no subchannel selected, will walk right over your transmission on 7-7. So in that respect, subchannels are only good for reducing "chatter" or clutter. This also leads many people to believe they are having private conversations when in fact, anyone listening on their base channel# (subchannel-0) is hearing everything everybody transmits on that base channel.

There are some people with bike2bike that may not know how to tune their radios to a subchannel. It's been my experience that it's best to start out with no subchannel until you can get everyone on the same page, so to speak.

As everyone groups-up, splits-off and prepares to ride-away, each group can easily select whatever they want for bike2bike. I understood the question being raised as "Where should we all start?" more than "Where should we all end up?"

Channel-1 is full of every Walkie-Talkie sold. Channel-2 is full of every construction crew that doesn't want to talk to kids on Channel-1. Channel-3 is usually where things start to quieten down enough to make it practical in most areas. That's why I'm suggesting we start out on 3-0.

I agree, subchannels are not required. In fact, some FRS radios don't even have that feature.

Further questions, do we want to use FRS channels only as not everyone has GMRS?

Why change channels at all? Once you leave the parking lot in all likely hood you'll not be in range of each other again, will we?

Maybe designate a particular FRS base channel for each ride route?

Agreed, but there are caveats...

Subchannels are not actually different frequencies. The subchannel is merely a squelch code that prohibits you from hearing anything on channel-X that does not have a matching "squelch code" or subchannel. Someone transmitting on Channel-7 with no subchannel selected, will walk right over your transmission on 7-7. So in that respect, subchannels are only good for reducing "chatter" or clutter. This also leads many people to believe they are having private conversations when in fact, anyone listening on their base channel# (subchannel-0) is hearing everything everybody transmits on that base channel.

There are some people with bike2bike that may not know how to tune their radios to a subchannel. It's been my experience that it's best to start out with no subchannel until you can get everyone on the same page, so to speak.

As everyone groups-up, splits-off and prepares to ride-away, each group can easily select whatever they want for bike2bike. I understood the question being raised as "Where should we all start?" more than "Where should we all end up?"

Channel-1 is full of every Walkie-Talkie sold. Channel-2 is full of every construction crew that doesn't want to talk to kids on Channel-1. Channel-3 is usually where things start to quieten down enough to make it practical in most areas. That's why I'm suggesting we start out on 3-0.

Thanks for that right up. Good to know info right there. Next time we go out we are switching up to 5. Some of those people with CB/walki talkies are azzhats out there.

Very interesting note on the sub-channel. Wonder why this info isn't in the tech data for the GMRS?

Further questions, do we want to use FRS channels only as not everyone has GMRS?Why change channels at all? Once you leave the parking lot in all likely hood you'll not be in range of each other again, will we?

Maybe designate a particular FRS base channel for each ride route?
We've always had very good luck using channels 1-7 on any brand radio, FRS or GMRS. They are the same frequency on either type radio. Above channel-7 the FRS and GMRS radios begin to differ with some matching through channel-11, but not all.

We could try using the channel# that matches the route#, but that leaves routes 8-9 questionable, and makes routes 1-2 chit-chattery.

Very interesting note on the sub-channel. Wonder why this info isn't in the tech data for the GMRS?
For various reasons, I have bought several cheap walkie talkie pairs over the past three years, and I've had the "opportunity" to read a lot of GMRS radio manuals. Of all the documentation I've read, the HJC Chatterbox manual is the only one that clearly described the sub-channel function.

Traveling cross-country last year to WFO, boredom set in a few times and caused me to set my Bike2Bike radio to SCAN. I had a good time listening to all sorts of conversations on 2-0 from people who could not hear me transmit and thought they were having private conversations. There was this one military couple traveling in two separate vehicles, he was driving a Ryder truck, she was in a minivan, the kids were asleep in the back. They obviously were into phone sex and proved quite entertaining.

I never could determine which sub-channel they were using so I could converse with them. However, it sure was fun transmitting short bursts over top of their "conversation" and listening to them request a repeat of the last radio sex deed.

It was a good method to pass-away the slab time.

:D

Ok, so I'll set the first radio on Ch. 3-0 for Bike-2-Bike communications.

The second radio will be on Ch. 2 for WV sex-talk. :stitchfacesmiley:

Traveling cross-country last year to WFO, boredom set in a few times and caused me to set my Bike2Bike radio to SCAN. I had a good time listening to all sorts of conversations on 2-0 from people who could not hear me transmit and thought they were having private conversations. There was this one military couple traveling in two separate vehicles, he was driving a Ryder truck, she was in a minivan, the kids were asleep in the back. They obviously were into phone sex and proved quite entertaining.I never could determine which sub-channel they were using so I could converse with them. However, it sure was fun transmitting short bursts over top of their "conversation" and listening to them request a repeat of the last radio sex deed.

It was a good method to pass-away the slab time.

:D
Transmittus interruptus?

Hey, what happened to the F in FRS?

I'd say stick with the 1-7 unless you're sure everyone is GMRS -- in which case, I always like chan 17.

Channel 3 is 462.6125MHz, 17 (or 12 on a GMRS only) is 462.6000.

Well, here's my $.02,

Not to be throwing names or titles around; I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (KD4JKW). What Jeff said in his first post is very accurate; those sub-channels are squelch codes, or more technically called CTCSS encoding. " Channels 1 through 7" are shared frequencies among the FRS service and the GMRS service. Sticking to "channels 1 through 7" will allow those who have FRS only radios to communicate with those who have GMRS radios AND (the point I am making here) is that those folk who have FRS only radios, in all likely hood DO NOT HAVE CTCSS encoding!

Therefore, I would recommend that any channel 1 through 7 be decided upon as a "home base" channel for all attendees of EOM and that NO tone squelch codes (CTCSS) be employed. For that matter no DTS encoding be use either. (I won't get into DTS encoding, but suffice it to say its like CTCSS encoding) Besides, at these frequencies (462.xxx MHz) and the WV terrain, even if you could run the full 50 watts output allowed for GMRS licensed operators, as soon as you go around one of these many mountain curves, you radio is useless because they are line of sight communications. Anyone will be lucky to get 2 miles range in this terrain! This is why CB's are very popular in this region of the country; the low frequencies (25.995 - 27.015 MHz) follow the curvature of the Earth and bend around mountains and river valleys; their range of use is good for 5 to 10 miles or more. However, motorcycles have very little ground effect for the CB antenna needs to propagate the low frequencies well and therefore have about the same range as a FRS/GMRS radio. (ya need a hunk of grounded metal under the antenna for CB's, like a trunk lid or the tool box/bed of a pick-up truck)

In addition; if a "home base" channel were agreed upon for all riders using FRS & GMRS radios, then if a rider or group of rider's pass one another, or see some one at the side of the road, we would all be on the same channel and could say howdy or is everything OK? And again, because of terrain and line of sight nature of this frequency band, in a few seconds there would not be any cross talk (interference) to deal with once the groups/riders pass one another. Trust me when I say you will not have any problems with static or other interference by not using your CTCSS to filter it out. I have monitored these bands as well as the Armature 6 meter, 2 meter and 440 bands and there is very little static in this part of WV. Why do you think they built the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, WV? Speaking of Green Bank; there is a no Radio use above 320.000 MHz in a 20 mile radius of Green Bank, so technically we're not suppose to use these radios in that area. (But I'm not telling) :rolleyes:

So Channel 1 is where all the kiddies hang out; channel 2 is the construction workers channel (um, might not be a bad channel to listen too?), so were left with 3 through 7. It doesn't matter which one it is, let's just pick one, that way everyone who has a FRS/GMRS radio will know which "channel" to listen to.

V.

Not to be throwing names or titles around; I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (KD4JKW). What Jeff said in his first post is very accurate;
Had to be luck, pure dumb luck!
So Channel 1 is where all the kiddies hang out; channel 2 is the construction workers channel (um, might not be a bad channel to listen too?), so were left with 3 through 7. It doesn't matter which one it is, let's just pick one, that way everyone who has a FRS/GMRS radio will know which "channel" to listen to.
So my original proposal sticks??? :)

Channel-3, Subchannel-0

I have a couple walkie-talkie radios. I guess I should bring them, even though they won't be worth shit to me while riding, one never knows when an unexpected stop is required. At least, once stopped, I could call for assistance.

How do I know what radio I have? FRS or GMRS?

I have a Kenwood 15 channel radio, (2 watt - I think)