ever scrape the exhaust mount?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
I'm in the process of mounting my holeshot header when I noticed that the ride side exhaust hanger has been ground. I can't get a good pic of it, but you can see the area circled in red:

headerinstall011.jpg

The hanger also looks like it has been a little bit. :blink:

I can't figure out how this happened, the peg feelers are almost still fully intact, unless there are gremlins coming into the garage at night grinding off metal pieces. My son took the rear part of the stock header off so I didn't notice it until I was putting the new one on, does the hanger hang below the exhaust pipe?

P.S.

I bought the bike new, never been down.

I'm sorry, I had to test my new grinder and I didn't think you'd notice :p

There is a little known sleeping disorder that causes the sufferer to go for midnight rides of extreme intensity.It's refered to in the medical books as "Feejer Spark-O-Lepsy". :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did actually have this problem. Though not since I installed my Wilbers shock with the 1" extension. The exhast hanger looked to be "ground" at the same angle as everything else that touched down from cornering. Highway 49 in Northern California has corners that aren't always flat so when I hit bumps mid corner things had a tendency to touch down. I just pounded them back straight and never had a problem again. Of course, as I mentioned, that was after I made a little modification.

Yeah, I have scraped that part on the right side and the center-stand on the left...I'd love to have an after market shock, but no $$$

Highway 49 in Northern California has corners that aren't always flat so when I hit bumps mid corner things had a tendency to touch down. I just pounded them back straight and never had a problem again.
I think it was Fred W that talked about how he could follow a friend through the twisties and his friend would scrape his pegs and Fred wouldn't. I always thought it was odd that I have essentially no chicken strips but almost never scrape a peg (I know, get your fat posterior off the seat, 80% on the street, etc). I hope you are right and that it was a bump in the road and not some bizzaro suspension/riding style setup that has me touching hard parts before the feelers.

I always thought it was odd that I have essentially no chicken strips but almost never scrape a peg
I find that odd too. I touch the peg feelers with an Ohlins on the rear (a little more ride height) but I've still got chicken strips. Maybe I'll have to start riding like meosborn and grind the hard parts off so I can lean it a little further.

I caught my drain plug on the ridiculous Hummer Sized speedbumps here, only doing 5mph. Had to get the oil pan replaced. This was under stock suspension settings, so when i tightened things up a bit I can clear them if I'm going real slow. Big speedbumps are a killer.

I caught my drain plug on the ridiculous Hummer Sized speedbumps here, only doing 5mph. Had to get the oil pan replaced. This was under stock suspension settings, so when i tightened things up a bit I can clear them if I'm going real slow. Big speedbumps are a killer.
Just hit the gas hard when the front wheel hits the bump, you will never hit the oil plug :dribble:

I always thought it was odd that I have essentially no chicken strips but almost never scrape a peg
I find that odd too. I touch the peg feelers with an Ohlins on the rear (a little more ride height) but I've still got chicken strips. Maybe I'll have to start riding like meosborn and grind the hard parts off so I can lean it a little further.

Definitely odd. Maybe a different model tire has less tread to lean on.

As far as grinding the hard parts, there was a time that it got a little dicey when I did lift the rear a bit and the back slid out. The bike was pretty new and I had taken the corner a little faster than I should have. I was lucky and didn't lose it completely. Got the heart rate going though. If you want to grind down the hard parts try one of these.

Surely, having better skills and being able to move around more in the seat would keep the scraping down quite a bit but I have never really developed those skills. All my weight shifting is done just with my arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely odd. Maybe a different model tire has less tread to lean on.
I have run the stock Metzelers, Storms, PR IIs and now Azarros, same story. I'm beginning to think it is a combination of lots of preload, jacking the rear end up which explains no peg scraping, and the aforementioned bump in the road for the exhaust hanger.