Faceshield Cleaner Spray

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
newbie question:

What is the faceshield cleaner spray that I've seen some use to clean off bugs?

I ride with my windshield down and collect alot of bugs on the faceshield. In the past at gas stations I've resorted to cleaning with the fluid provided and drying with a paper towel. I've gotten "looks of horror" from other riders when I do this.

I'd like to buy the spray before I leave on my 5 to 6k trip this Saturday through New England.

Could you'all give me a brand name for this stuff so I can search the net (or preferably) buy at a local store.

Do local mcy shops carry this stuff?

Thanks again for your help?

I went to the drug store and bought a small spray bottle . A little larger than a BIC lighter . I filled it with a very rare liquid called water. I also cary a soft rag to wipe shield . I have been using this method for years . Bugs come right off with no sratching at all. I have been able to find water almost everywhere I go .

Remember the shields are not made out of some exotic plastic from mars like people make them out to be.

Er, ah, water?

Seriously, when you gas up, take your helmet off and drape a water soaked cloth or paper towel over the shield before you begin the gassing procedure. By the time you're done gassing the bugs will be soft and wipe right off. Works on the windscreen, too.

And the cleaning fluid/paper towels at the station? Never had a problem and I run a mirrored shield in the summer. Some people are just a bit to anal...

Er, ah, water?
Seriously, when you gas up, take your helmet off and drape a water soaked cloth or paper towel over the shield before you begin the gassing procedure. By the time you're done gassing the bugs will be soft and wipe right off. Works on the windscreen, too.

And the cleaning fluid/paper towels at the station? Never had a problem and I run a mirrored shield in the summer. Some people are just a bit to anal...
Some of the MO boys I rode with had a neat trick. Damp/wet cloth in a ziploc bag. Just a washcloth. Same idea as TWN. Just drape it on, and in a few minutes, the bugs slide off.

Another thing I've used is a sample sized bottle of Harley Gloss. That's the "bic" sized bottle I think someone already referred to. It would easily fit in the GB or under the seat. Then just towel it off. I usually carry my own towels or towelettes when I do this.

Another rider likes to use those eyeglass towelettes that you can get a Sunglass Hut or Pear Vision. I use those all the time. Get them from Sam's club. I think two boxes are about $8. Kind of like the "wetnaps" in the foil packetts? Those are handy. Stuff a couple in your pocket, or GB, or take out those condoms that you never use, and stick the packet in your wallet.

I use a baby diaper and plexus, same stuff I use on my aircraft plexiglas, works great and polishes out minor scratches.

As you now probably know, NEVER use paper towels or similar type wipe rags to clean any plastic or plexiglas, might as well use sandpaper! Most cycle shops/parts sites online carry it.

If you forget to pack it, your hand and cool water is the next best thing, actually the maintenance manuals for canopies and plexiglas recommend that technique

Dan

I use tear-offs on my face shield - works great. But, since there's probably not enough time to order a new shield and tear-offs before your trip, might want to consider getting a small can of Honda Spray Cleaner Polish. It's not very big and I keep it handy in my tank bag. Harley sells 'Softcloth' which is a soft disposable towel that works good with the Spray Cleaner Polish.

As you now probably know, NEVER use paper towels or similar type wipe rags to clean any plastic or plexiglas, might as well use sandpaper!
Paper towels might scratch up your visor- eventually. But then again, I'm the type who will use the gas station squeegee to clean my helmet- while wearing it. Plexus is good, so is furniture polish. Then there's Wee Willy.

Last edited by a moderator:
@deanw

I also use the service station squeegee to clean my helmet shield...while wearing the helmet.

The first time I did this in front of group of riders I started riding with, when I looked up, several were standing around w/ a WTF look on their faces.

I use Windex or Pledge at home w/ a soft cloth...never paper towels.

After cleaning, I've recently begun using Meguiar's Tech Wax on the shield...as recommended by someone on this site.

Works for me.

Paper is made of wood. Wood scratches plastic. Don't use paper to clean windshields of face shields.

The single best thing I've found to clean wind/face shields over the years is from Meguiar's. It's a clear plastic cleaner and polish. I first soak the shield with a wet (cloth) towel to soften dirt and bugs. I then use a thick pile terry towel to so an initial clean to get the dirt and bugs off (they scratch too). Swap towels frequently when at home (on the road have a larger towel and swap "areas") so you don't grind the grit into the plastic of the wind/face shields. I then use a clean terry towel and Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner/Polish. You can get it as a 2 step process (cleaner #17 & polish #10) or as a single step combination (Detailer #18) which works in the final steps after the water/soft cloth cleaning.

I personally use the detailer #18 all the time and bypass the other 2 by taking my time and cleaning the shield with water and a soft cloth.

No residue like products from Plexus and other companies leave behind. Very best I've ever seen in years of shield cleaning.

I find mine locally at a place called the "Old English Auto Paint" store.

I've seen Rain-X turn a windshield milky white in seconds after it was applied.

The stuff you're looking for is called Plexus. Available in small or large spray cans at your better M/C dealers.

An added bonus is that you can polish the whole bike with it too.

Or...believe it or not....just use Rain-X on the shield. Works just fine too.

I use tear-offs on my face shield - works great. But, since there's probably not enough time to order a new shield and tear-offs before your trip, might want to consider getting a small can of Honda Spray Cleaner Polish. It's not very big and I keep it handy in my tank bag. Harley sells 'Softcloth' which is a soft disposable towel that works good with the Spray Cleaner Polish.
Where do you get the tear-offs? Are they universal in size? What type of helmet / shield combo do you have Randy?

I've got a Schuberth Concept flip helmet. according to the Bemmer dealer that sold me the helmet, Schuberth recommends using Plexus on their shield. Yeah, OK.

I've been using Plexus for some time before buying the Schuberth.

Like I said, it sure works nice as a quick detailer too.

I've got a Schuberth Concept flip helmet. according to the Bemmer dealer that sold me the helmet, Schuberth recommends using Plexus on their shield. Yeah, OK.I've been using Plexus for some time before buying the Schuberth.

Like I said, it sure works nice as a quick detailer too.
I wouldn't doubt that Schuberth is getting kickbacks from Plexus . Just like Corvettes recommend Mobil 1. Says it right on top of the engine . I'm sure any synthetic would do . I doubt that GM would put it on the Corvette for free .

I too have been using Plexus for doing quick detailing also.

Paper is made of wood. Wood scratches plastic. Don't use paper to clean windshields of face shields.
Toilet paper is made out of wood. Is that why my ass itches or do I have hemmoroids ? I GOT A SPLINTER IN MY ASS !!!!!!! :p

There are lots of choices that work fine. Lemon Pledge furniture polish is an old standby that thousands of us have been using for years on all sorts of plexi - it's even used by pilots on fragile/expensive aircraft windshields. Cheap and readily available in small cans. And the wax it leaves behind helps for the next cleaning.

Avoid the new orange Pledge - it makes your helmet smell like a just cleaned restroom.

You do want to use very soft clothes and avoid paper towels. Cloth diapers are great but getting hard to find. I have a soft flannel cloth I've used for years - I just wrap it around the Pledge with a rubber band. But you can also get the new microfiber cloths that are sold many places.

If you can let the liquid sit on the faceshield a little while before wiping that always helps. I occasionally remove my shields and wash them with soap/water and try just to use my fingertips to get the bugs off.

Since avoiding paper towels and using Pledge, 've never replaced a shield due to scratches or haze in twenty years.

- Mark

Some of the MO boys I rode with had a neat trick. Damp/wet cloth in a ziploc bag. Just a washcloth. Same idea as TWN. Just drape it on, and in a few minutes, the bugs slide off.
Thats what I do, put a wash cloth in a zip bag. Lay it on the visor...bugs come right off. You will get some scratches from cleaning, when it gets to bad..replace the visor...Have a fun trip, I wish I could go with you...Let us know how it went...ride safe..smitty ;)

I use tear-offs on my face shield - works great.  But, since there's probably not enough time to order a new shield and tear-offs before your trip, might want to consider getting a small can of Honda Spray Cleaner Polish.  It's not very big and I keep it handy in my tank bag.  Harley sells 'Softcloth' which is a soft disposable towel that works good with the Spray Cleaner Polish.
Where do you get the tear-offs? Are they universal in size? What type of helmet / shield combo do you have Randy?
https://www.cyclegear.com/dept.cfm?L1=1&L2=71

I have an Arai. I don't know if they are universal, but, I doubt it. You have to get a shield with tear-off posts then get the tear-offs that are made for that shield.

Thanks for all the comments guys...this helps to hear what others do!

@jbay: good luck with that splinter! :haha: